I usually disagree with the Chan detractors

Chilly

But what the hell was he doing in the red zone tonight?

Did we even call one run with CJ in the game?

Most of the time, I understand why he does what the does in certain situations. But tonight, CJ was running all over everyone, and he didn't even try to switch it up in the RZ. He just continued on the same plays that didn't work.

Chan is the perfect combo where he is conservative in general but goes 5 wide and fails on 3rd and short every time. In any event I do think he gets more out of this talent than most would. Deal with it until we get a new QB.

Tonight he did not go five wide. Frequently he kept a rb in the backfield to help block against the Miami blitzes. The Bills ran on third and one at least twice tonight and got stuffed both times. CJ was great, but he got stuffed several times in the backfield. You cant run all time time, especially when the defense is stuffing the box the way Miami was tonight.

But what the hell was he doing in the red zone tonight?

Did we even call one run with CJ in the game?

Most of the time, I understand why he does what the does in certain situations. But tonight, CJ was running all over everyone, and he didn't even try to switch it up in the RZ. He just continued on the same plays that didn't work.

I got a love/hate thing for Chan...I think he has built a good offense, but he is too stubborn at times...and maybe, just too loyal to certain players. I have nothing against Tashard Choice, but there were just times tonight where he was just a momentum killer...and don't get me started on the wild-cat...it becomes less and less effective by the week...but he still calls it at the most inopportune times...sometimes I just think he tries to be too clever...and it pretty much never works.

The refusal to give the bal to Spillerl in the red zone tonight was crazy. I loved the win, and they have looked pretty good tonight in most facets of the game...but Chan just seems to be fixated on notions rather than the facts that are presenting themselves before his very eyes. It is frustrating. I think it cost the Bills at least one game (Titans) and almost cost them the Cards game. Tonights' game was much closer than it should have been, and I think Chan's play calling contributed to that.

The only time I was really upset in the red zone is when Fitz threw to Jones after Spiller split out to the left and was covered by a LB. Fitz never even looked that way and Spiller had the LB beat after two steps. A fade to the corner of the endzone would have been an easy throw. The safety shaded toward Spiller but there was a guy in the slot that ran a slant or seam route that held the safety - may have been Stevie not sure. But Fitz pre-determined to go to Jones. It was a decent throw. Looked like Jones slipped a bit and it went threw his hands.

The Dolphins stacked the line and even doubled CJ out of the backfield.

Not sure why he had Choice and not Brad Smith in the Wildcat. Back shoulder and sideline deep throws were plentiful tonight - isn't that what this board wanted???

No idea why after a time-out Choice was still on the field in the red-zone right before the half. Yes he may be a better blocker but the threat of CJ out of the backfield may loosen up the coverage.

Looks like the defense was not going to let CJ and Chandler win the game. So Chan and Fitz dialed some plays for the wideouts against suspect corners. Nothing wrong with that idea and it worked great. Dolphins D was good in the red-zone. Tip your hat to them and get ready for the Colts.

I got a love/hate thing for Chan...I think he has built a good offense, but he is too stubborn at times...and maybe, just too loyal to certain players. I have nothing against Tashard Choice, but there were just times tonight where he was just a momentum killer...and don't get me started on the wild-cat...it becomes less and less effective by the week...but he still calls it at the most inopportune times...sometimes I just think he tries to be too clever...and it pretty much never works.

The refusal to give the bal to Spillerl in the red zone tonight was crazy. I loved the win, and they have looked pretty good tonight in most facets of the game...but Chan just seems to be fixated on notions rather than the facts that are presenting themselves before his very eyes. It is frustrating. I think it cost the Bills at least one game (Titans) and almost cost them the Cards game. Tonights' game was much closer than it should have been, and I think Chan's play calling contributed to that.

This sums up my feelings about Chan perfectly.

Every play he called on third down was an absolute ridiculous play call.

His play-calling is starting to remind me of Mike Mullarkey.......yeah, it's that bad!

Edited by Special K

Choice in the wildcat on the first third down was stuuuuupid. Empty backfield with half a yard to go was stuuuuuupid.

Couldn't believe it either, it's like chan does great on 1st and 2nd down but way over thinks third and redzone and self-destructs. :wallbash:

don't forget having TJ run that route last week when he had not run it before. We should have beat NE and Tenn and be 6-4 might make the playoffs but as usual we will come up short and win just enough games to miss out on a top QB again.

I agree with bascially everything on this thread - 3rd down playcalls, overuse of Choice in the critical situations, the pointlesness of their Wildcat, and the positive fact that Chan puts together a good playbook and gets a lot of yards out of questionable talent at some positions - we're all seeing the same things - something's going wrong in Chan's head causing some silly play-calling.

I'll add this - I don't remember this happening much (except for Choice and the failing Wildcat) if at all; last year - I'd love to know what's changed.

If I owned an NFL team I would walk down to the sidelines and fire my coach right in the middle of the game if they lined up empty-backfield on 3rd and short. Why in Hades would you give up the threat of a run, particularly when your team is among the best running the ball?

Edited by BobChalmers

I can't get too excited about this. No coach is perfect. Chan's blocking concepts and play design skills are almost unparalleled. The Dolphins have a sick defense. I'm not sure what they could've done in the red zone successfully. Now we see why Fred is so important (and David Nelson). I thought he called a pretty good game overall.

I agree with bascially everything on this thread - 3rd down playcalls, overuse of Choice in the critical situations, the pointlesness of their Wildcat, and the positive fact that Chan puts together a good playbook and gets a lot of yards out of questionable talent at some positions - we're all seeing the same things - something's going wrong in Chan's head causing some silly play-calling.

I'll add this - I don't remember this happening much (except for Choice and the failing Wildcat) if at all; last year - I'd love to know what's changed.

If I owned an NFL team I would walk down to the sidelines and fire my coach right in the middle of the game if they lined up empty-backfield on 3rd and short. Why in Hades would you give up the threat of a run, particularly when your team is among the best running the ball?

That's what I've been wondering. What happened? He calls the worst plays at the worst times now!

I can't get too excited about this. No coach is perfect. Chan's blocking concepts and play design skills are almost unparalleled. The Dolphins have a sick defense. I'm not sure what they could've done in the red zone successfully. Now we see why Fred is so important (and David Nelson). I thought he called a pretty good game overall.

Excellent point, coach. If Nelson were healthy, things would be very different... the INT in the Pats game was pretty much the same play that went to Nelson for a TD against the Raiders last year.