OT: Selig approves Johnson to Yankees

Another bad day baseball

And before you Yankees fans start jumping on me for the title of that link, I only say that because it's sad that a team like Arizona has to sell off a talent like Johnson just to get some cash and some prospects because of the economic imbalances in baseball.

191697[/snapback]

Yeah, I feel really sorry for a team that has signed Troy Glaus, Russ Ortiz, and traded for Shawn Green this offseason. Tragedy...

Even with those signings your INFIELD is probably getting paid almost as much as the entire Diamondbacks team.

I'm sorry, but seeing teams unload Cy Young pitchers (Hudson, Mulder, Johnson) for unproven players and cash just stinks of an unfair playing field.

You have teams like Boston paying number 4 pitchers (Clement) 8 million a year while teams like the Tigers have to try to get 5 players for 8 million.

It's a joke.

Imagine the Bills playing in an NFL where Daniel Snyder would spend 200 million a year to field a team of pro bowlers. I'm sure you wouldn't think that was too fair would you?

Baseball refused to deal with its problems when it had a chance. hockey is now dealing with its problems. The NFL is a wonderfully run league, and thus does not have these issues.

Point is, Fair is working within the rules to put the best team you can on the field.

The yankees are doing this (In their opinion...as are 30 other teams)

And BTW, the yankees havent won in years. You build championships, you cant buy them. Until the yanks realize this and rebuild, this will be the yankees of the 1980s soon.

Even with those signings your INFIELD is probably getting paid almost as much as the entire Diamondbacks team.

I'm sorry, but seeing teams unload Cy Young pitchers (Hudson, Mulder, Johnson) for unproven players and cash just stinks of an unfair playing field.

You have teams like Boston paying number 4 pitchers (Clement) 8 million a year while teams like the Tigers have to try to get 5 players for 8 million.

It's a joke.

Imagine the Bills playing in an NFL where Daniel Snyder would spend 200 million a year to field a team of pro bowlers.  I'm sure you wouldn't think that was too fair would you?

191721[/snapback]

We can have this conversation 100,000,000 more times if you want but YOU CANNOT compare baseball to football with any credence.

They are NOT the same. Football is able to share revenue and have a workable cap because the television contract is so lucrative. Every team makes enough money ANNUALLY from the television contract in the NFL that they don't have to sell one ticket or one t-shirt to turn a profit. Baseball and the other sports DO NOT Have that luxury because their sports play too many games/translates horribly to the medium.

I'm not going to disagree that the economics of baseball aren't that fair but big money doesn't mean championships and it probably wouldn't in the NFL, either. The last time the BILLS were uber competetive, there was no salary cap.

We can have this conversation 100,000,000 more times if you want but YOU CANNOT compare baseball to football with any credence. 

They are NOT the same.  Football is able to share revenue and have a workable cap because the television contract is so lucrative. Every team makes enough money ANNUALLY from the television contract in the NFL that they don't have to sell one ticket or one t-shirt to turn a profit.  Baseball and the other sports DO NOT Have that luxury because their sports play too many games/translate horribly to the medium. 

I'm not going to disagree that the economics of baseball aren't that fair but big money doesn't mean championships and it probably wouldn't in the NFL, either.  The last time the BILLS were uber competetive, there was no salary cap.

191729[/snapback]

The reason baseball doesn't have revenue sharing is because the big market owners (George being the big one) won't allow it. Why would he want to aloow it? He would then be forced to make sound personel moves instead of just throwing cash at every big name free agent out there.

The Yankees of 1996 I could respect, the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Mets, etc of 2005 I can't. I agree that championships aren't bought, but it sure gives you a better chance with a 200 million dollar payroll.

Baseball doesn't have revenue sharing? Huh? The Yankees payed out almost $100 MILLION dollars in revenue sharing and luxury tax for just the 2004 season. That money goes to other teams. What do they do with it? If it wasn't for the Yankees and all the money they generate and pay out and reinvest in their team, MLB would be on the same level as the NHL.

Yankees President Randy Levine was quoted in the NY Post on Sunday. "It's OK for the teams that complain about us to spend OUR money however they chose but it's not OK for us to spend OUR money how we chose"

Arizona spent big bucks on Russ Ortiz & Troy Glaus. They got Javier Vazquez and three decent prospects from the Yankees for a 42 year old pitcher. They turned around and traded for Shawn Green. Looks to me like Arizona doesn't have any problems with cash flow at all.

How is this trade bad for baseball? Because the Cardinals didn't get The Big Unit? Save the crying for something else.

Baseball doesn't have revenue sharing? Huh? The Yankees payed out almost $100 MILLION dollars in revenue sharing and luxury tax for just the 2004 season. That money goes to other teams. What do they do with it? If it wasn't for the Yankees and all the money they generate and pay out and reinvest in their team, MLB would be on the same level as the NHL. 

Yankees President Randy Levine was quoted in the NY Post on Sunday. "It's OK for the teams that complain about us to spend OUR money however they chose but it's not OK for us to spend OUR money how we chose"

Arizona spent big bucks on Russ Ortiz & Troy Glaus. They got Javier Vazquez and three decent prospects from the Yankees for a 42 year old pitcher. They turned around and traded for Shawn Green. Looks to me like Arizona doesn't have any problems with cash flow at all.

How is this trade bad for baseball? Because the Cardinals didn't get The Big Unit? Save the crying for something else.

191921[/snapback]

It really has nothing to do with the Cardinals, in fact I listed the Mulder trade above as the same situation. The A's dumping Mulder and Hudson for unproven players is just as bad as this junk deal.

The Diamondbacks were trying to unload his salary. It had nothing to do with his talent, because Javier Vasquez at age 28 or whatever isn't even in the same league as Randy Johnson at 41 or 42.

Any Yankees fan that tries to spin this as a fair trade has no merit whatsoever.