Bills Have Top 5 NFL Offensive Line

Boludo

Believe me i hope you're right.

I think so. I think Nix has always talked about the importance of re-signing your own FAs. I think it's clear our O-line is one of the (few) strengths of this team, and keeping that continuity is of extreme importance.

Might I suggest actually watching the games? If you are watching them, how are you missing that this is one of the better lines in the NFL?

Wow!!! You really don't like reading peoples posts do you?

I acknowledged that the line was good. I mearly stated that the fact that we have great RB's would help with the number crunching that takes place in the formula provided in the link to determine the ranking.

the O-Line ranked 30th in:

Power Success: Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer.

this is the true measure of an offensive line strength

i think Fitz throwing the ball in 3 seconds or less and the quality of Freddy (yards after contact) and Spiller hides alot of sins.

Have you noticed our playcalling? We go shotgun 5 wide on 3rd and short. Thats not the OLs fault.

Power Success: Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer.

IMHO this right here is the key to this team taking the next step. I posted about it a few weeks back - being able to convert short 3rd downs to run the clock and protect a lead even when the other team knows you're going to do it. More and more I'm thinking our next big acquisition (early draft pick or FA) needs to be a power back, not a QB. Not being able to do this puts more pressure on Fitz. These SHOULD NOT ALWAYS BE PASSING DOWNS! :wallbash:

IMHO this right here is the key to this team taking the next step. I posted about it a few weeks back - being able to convert short 3rd downs to run the clock and protect a lead even when the other team knows you're going to do it. More and more I'm thinking our next big acquisition (early draft pick or FA) needs to be a power back, not a QB. Not being able to do this puts more pressure on Fitz. These SHOULD NOT ALWAYS BE PASSING DOWNS! :wallbash:

Please, God...not another first round running back.

> More and more I'm thinking our next big acquisition (early draft pick or FA) needs to be a power back, not a QB.

I couldn't possibly disagree more.

Where to begin?

1) According to a regression analysis performed by The New York Times, passing offense is four times as important as rushing offense.

2) While Fitz seems to have improved a little these last few weeks, he's by no means a franchise QB. Also, that apparent improvement occurred against some bad pass defenses.

3) Of the last ten Super Bowl winning teams, nine had franchise quarterbacks.

4) Power running backs typically have short careers. A team like the Bills has no business using first round picks on short career duration players. We have plenty of other holes which should be filled first.

5) A franchise QB would transform this offense. The Bills have one of the five best offensive lines in the NFL. They have a #1 WR who can consistently get open against Darrell Revis. Donald Jones is emerging as a decent #2. Graham is a very good deep threat--or would be, if he actually had a quarterback capable of throwing the deep ball. Chandler is a reliable pass catching TE. Spiller, as we all know, is electric. If you were to add a franchise quarterback to this mix, the results would be very pleasing! :)

When you're losing I don't think you get to gloss any part of your team as top 5 but I'd say as opposed to other years we have a legitimate NFL offensive line.

Agree but if you put Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, Matt Schuab,Aaron Rodgers, Josh Freeman, Andrew Luck, even Joe Flacco on this same exact team as is and this team goes Deep in the playoffs if not hoists the Lombardi. LBs be damned.

When you're losing I don't think you get to gloss any part of your team as top 5 but I'd say as opposed to other years we have a legitimate NFL offensive line.

> When you're losing I don't think you get to gloss any part of your team as top 5

I disagree. The Bills lost plenty of games in the '70s, including every single game they played against the Dolphins. But pick any given year during the '70s, and you won't be able to show me five other teams which had better RBs than OJ Simpson.

It works the other way too. If a particular team--such as the Patriots--wins more games than it loses, you can still point out weaknesses on that team. (Such as their pass defense.)

Please, God...not another first round running back.

In fairness, Jay didn't say a first rounder. He said an early draft pick.

As I've posted numerous times this season, I wish the Bills had signed one of the big power backs available in this past free agency, Michael Bush, Mike Tolbert or Cedric Benson.

I love the way New Orleans uses their running backs and would love to have a bruiser in the mix.

In fairness, Jay didn't say a first rounder. He said an early draft pick.

As I've posted numerous times this season, I wish the Bills had signed one of the big power backs available in this past free agency, Michael Bush, Mike Tolbert or Cedric Benson.

I love the way New Orleans uses their running backs and would love to have a bruiser in the mix.

We have a bruiser on the roster.

We just don't use him.

this is the true measure of an offensive line strength

i think Fitz throwing the ball in 3 seconds or less and the quality of Freddy (yards after contact) and Spiller hides alot of sins.

how many 3rd & 1's failed tonight ?

The answer is 0 I believe.

Because they passed on 3rd and short in an empty backfield.

they were 0-2

3rd and 1 at BUF 33 Direct snap to T.Choice. T.Choice up the middle to BUF 33 for no gain (R.Jones, C.Wake).

3rd and 1 at BUF 44 C.Spiller up the middle to BUF 43 for -1 yards (K.Dansby, C.Wake).

Edited by papazoid

they were 0-2

3rd and 1 at BUF 33 Direct snap to T.Choice. T.Choice up the middle to BUF 33 for no gain (R.Jones, C.Wake).

3rd and 1 at BUF 44 C.Spiller up the middle to BUF 43 for -1 yards (K.Dansby, C.Wake).

Ah yes the 4th QTR stuf on a must get 1st down.

Cameron Wake squeeked through and made a great individual effort.

But YES this team needed that first and didn't get it.

Maybe if we actually practiced and ran power running plays more than 2 times a game they could improve.