Repair or replace the washer/dryer?

Fezmid

Fez, you're walking into the absolute best time to buy a washer/dryer because Home Depot lines them up for the holidays. If you have a HD card, you can get them for 0% interest for up to two years (depending on how much they cost) and free delivery if you catch them at the right moment. We got a great deal on LGs last year.

(Note: I'm not a big fan of store-based credit cards, but a Home Depot card is outstanding provided, as always, you use it properly.

As I wrote above, if it's a decent machine and especially if it's 15+ years old when they still built things to last awhile, a simple fix can be much more cost-effective than buying new and having to replace this new one even faster than an oldie. This is not a big secret. They're making appliances of cheaper materials today and they are designed to not last long... so you can get the pleasure of forking over more $ even more frequently. That's a hell of a business model, I'll say!!

But... if Fez or anyone is going to go the new route, Lowe's has the same kind of card [cue the Coke ZERO commercial] AND?!??! ... if you pick up a change-of-address envelope at the Post Office, the 10% off coupons for Lowe's are back. For a big item like this, 10% can be $50-80+ off.

As I wrote above, if it's a decent machine and especially if it's 15+ years old when they still built things to last awhile, a simple fix can be much more cost-effective than buying new and having to replace this new one even faster than an oldie. This is not a big secret. They're making appliances of cheaper materials today and they are designed to not last long... so you can get the pleasure of forking over more $ even more frequently. That's a hell of a business model, I'll say!!

But... if Fez or anyone is going to go the new route, Lowe's has the same kind of card [cue the Coke ZERO commercial] AND?!??! ... if you pick up a change-of-address envelope at the Post Office, the 10% off coupons for Lowe's are back. For a big item like this, 10% can be $50-80+ off.

I like the part of less saftey mechanisms too! Who wants to shut the lid on the washer... If there is a saftey... You can just jam a clothespin in @ the switch hole. Hopefully if you get lucky, maybe the cat will jump in with the lid open... Two birds with one stone! try stopping one of those fancy dancy front models mid cycle!

;)

Only time I would consider new is if something major finally wore out.. Like the tub enamel ate away and the thing rotted through! They amazingly simple machines and simple bag of parts. I suppose, like Darin said... You can just scrap it... Anyway most people who take it away, rehab them sell them on the cheap to people who want used machines. There is reason why they call them durable goods!