Obama To Insist On Higher Taxes On The Wealthy

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49770594

"President Obama said Friday that he would insist that tax increases on affluent Americans be part of any agreement to avoid a year-end fiscal crisis, setting up a possible confrontation with Congressional Republicans who say they will oppose a rise in tax rates for the rich."

Should the Republicans call his bluff and let the situation go and blow up?

Obama sure looks confident now, an experienced chief executive with an electoral mandate at his back.

Ok, raise taxes.... Only if you roll back spending to levels we saw in the 90's.... I think people could get behind that...

But Reid and Pelosi has said Medicare and SS are off the table... Don't these people get it???

The Prez has a great opportunity to reform our big outlays, and get the increases I taxes he wants.... Will he take it?

Government: "We're going to have to raise taxes!"

Conservatives: "Um, how about you just don't spend so much?"

G: "But we neeeeeeed the money."

C: "No, you're just going to waste it."

G: "We won't waste it. We promise!"

C: "Ok, here's the money."

G: "Woohoo!" <wastes it>

G: "We're going to have to raise taxes!"

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49770594

"President Obama said Friday that he would insist that tax increases on affluent Americans be part of any agreement to avoid a year-end fiscal crisis, setting up a possible confrontation with Congressional Republicans who say they will oppose a rise in tax rates for the rich."

Should the Republicans call his bluff and let the situation go and blow up?

Obama sure looks confident now, an experienced chief executive with an electoral mandate at his back.

You and I have a different definition of what affluent is. But I will say this, these tax increases sure have been good for business. Many of my clients are going from investments where they were paying taxes on to tax deferred or even tax free investments. Raising taxes on the affluent will not make a dent in our fiscal woes.

You and I have a different definition of what affluent is. But I will say this, these tax increases sure have been good for business. Many of my clients are going from investments where they were paying taxes on to tax deferred or even tax free investments. Raising taxes on the affluent will not make a dent in our fiscal woes.

In my business, I occasionally choose short term loss for long-term win. Sometimes I'll be up against a competitor that is just a mess, so they lowball to get work. In these situations, the customer comes back and says "We like your company, plan and approach, but we like their number. Get you number down to theirs, we have a deal." My answer is always "No, thank you. We lose at those margins, and quite frankly so do they. Hire them."

Inevitably, things go wrong, the customer comes to us later and says, "Okay, lesson learned."

We should let Obama have his way with taxes. Get out of the way. Let him jack them up as high as he wants on whomever he wants. The GOP should explain that since the country elected this man and the country wants this approach, they will get out of the way and let him roll for four solid years. Let's watch what happens. It would be spectacular in it's level of failure and would bury liberals for years to come.

Not feasible, I know. But I'd love it. We could go out screaming like Steve Buscemi with space dementia.

Ok, raise taxes.... Only if you roll back spending to levels we saw in the 90's.... I think people could get behind that...

But Reid and Pelosi has said Medicare and SS are off the table... Don't these people get it???

The Prez has a great opportunity to reform our big outlays, and get the increases I taxes he wants.... Will he take it?

How is Medicare off the table? Reid and Pelosi already voted to take over 700 billion out of it, while every Republican voted to keep it in.

How is Medicare off the table? Reid and Pelosi already voted to take over 700 billion out of it, while every Republican voted to keep it in.

and Obama signed into law...

One of the things truly amazing to me about this election. Dems always demonize Reps over Medicare and SS telling folks they would take it away or cut it...

But THE DEMOCRAT PARTY, led by Obama, actually DID IT!!! Yet the voted PBO back in???

WTF???? Over???

and Obama signed into law...

One of the things truly amazing to me about this election. Dems always demonize Reps over Medicare and SS telling folks they would take it away or cut it...

But THE DEMOCRAT PARTY, led by Obama, actually DID IT!!! Yet the voted PBO back in???

WTF???? Over???

Why would anyone depend on SS or medicare?

Why would anyone depend on SS or medicare?

your f#$%@#

maybe because the gov told 'em it would be there?? Maybe because neither of them are called a tax? They are called "insurance???

Maybe, because I KNOW, it won't be there when I retire in a few years?? Because of mismanagement by the gov??? That DOESN'T mean however, that people that paid int it for decades, shouldn't receive that "insurance" that was promised..

But I guess, in your mind, by your comment, only ignorant people expect a pay back huh???

your f#$%@#

maybe because the gov told 'em it would be there?? Maybe because neither of them are called a tax? They are called "insurance???

Maybe, because I KNOW, it won't be there when I retire in a few years?? Because of mismanagement by the gov??? That DOESN'T mean however, that people that paid int it for decades, shouldn't receive that "insurance" that was promised..

But I guess, in your mind, by your comment, only ignorant people expect a pay back huh???

Calm down, I only meant it probably won't be there when you retire. Do you deserve it? Heck yeah! Will you get it? I doubt it.

In my business, I occasionally choose short term loss for long-term win. Sometimes I'll be up against a competitor that is just a mess, so they lowball to get work. In these situations, the customer comes back and says "We like your company, plan and approach, but we like their number. Get you number down to theirs, we have a deal." My answer is always "No, thank you. We lose at those margins, and quite frankly so do they. Hire them."

Inevitably, things go wrong, the customer comes to us later and says, "Okay, lesson learned."

We should let Obama have his way with taxes. Get out of the way. Let him jack them up as high as he wants on whomever he wants. The GOP should explain that since the country elected this man and the country wants this approach, they will get out of the way and let him roll for four solid years. Let's watch what happens. It would be spectacular in it's level of failure and would bury liberals for years to come.

Not feasible, I know. But I'd love it. We could go out screaming like Steve Buscemi with space dementia.

My fear is that California is already doing this and yet the Democrats seem to increase their majority every election.

They reduced the payments for doctors to fund other Heathcare priorities... I believe the Ryan budget proposed the same move, extending Medicare till 2024.

what I am talking about is really reforming the program that is slotted to have 42 trillion in infunded liabilities. Shifting 700b is a minor scratch in the bottom part of the bumper.

It also doesn't change the delivered benefit to Medicare enrollees... It just squeezes the providers... That's an important distinction

For baby boomers, the $716B in Medicare cuts means you'll be behind those on Medicaid, who never paid into the system, when it comes to desirability to be seen by providers. And with such a large number and the program becoming insolvent in a matter of years, there's going to be rationing.

They reduced the payments for doctors to fund other Heathcare priorities... I believe the Ryan budget proposed the same move, extending Medicare till 2024.

what I am talking about is really reforming the program that is slotted to have 42 trillion in infunded liabilities. Shifting 700b is a minor scratch in the bottom part of the bumper.

It also doesn't change the delivered benefit to Medicare enrollees... It just squeezes the providers... That's an important distinction

Are there doctors that presently refuse to take on patients who are on Medicare, because of low reimbursement rates?

Are there doctors that presently refuse to take on patients who are on Medicare, because of low reimbursement rates?

Yes.

My GP doctor takes no insurance (I can apply for reimbursement on my own). He runs a subscription based model. For about $100/month, I can text him, call him, video conference with him...but he takes neither private nor public insurance.

I don't need a doc often so it's a model that works for docs and patients like me. He encourages wellness visits...little check-ins where we just make sure things are going well.

Edited by John Adams

Yes.

My GP doctor takes no insurance (I can apply for reimbursement on my own). He runs a subscription based model. For about $100/month, I can text him, call him, video conference with him...but he takes neither private nor public insurance.

I don't need a doc often so it's a model that works for docs and patients like me. He encourages wellness visits...little check-ins where we just make sure things are going well.

That's a model that would seem to work well for the healthy, but I would think at the very least, a person going that route would want to carry catastrophic insurance.