Sacked coaches query.

Shamrock

I figured if you've been sacked you've failed at your job, didn't meet expectations as outlined in your job description.. So, we have Chan- sacked by Dallas, GTech & at KC, Wanny- "resigned" from Phins, sacked Bears, "resigned" UPitt, Bob Sanders- "let go" by GBPackers... Who else on staff?

Whilst we're at it, why the free pass on Giff and Sanders' coaching...

Is ths an endless gravy train for coaches.

While I'm at it, why the hiring of old college connections?

Gailey and Wanny go way back. Wanny and Sanders go way back, Gailey hires Giff from his od college days...

Does this make it hard for the HC to sack mates when they're under performing & why the merry-go-round for unsuccessful coach- at all levels.

is it really "who you know" that keeps you employed?

Name an NFL coach that hasn't been fired or resigned. You might be able to come up with 1-2 names out of ~50 that have been NFL head coaches over the last decade.

Exactly... beginning with The Genius Hoodie himself.

Crimony, people, I know we are all upset that the Bills are looking so bad this year, but the effort to play "can you top this" with the woe is getting silly.

Name an NFL coach that hasn't been fired or resigned. You might be able to come up with 1-2 names out of ~50 that have been NFL head coaches over the last decade.

Two-time Super Bowl winning coach Tom Coughlin was fired from Jacksonville.

Brainstorming here… not very many coaches who haven't been fired.

I think I just found another.

As far as I can tell, Andy Reid has never been fired.

That might change pretty soon though.

Nice one. One could also cite the Harbaughs, since they are also on their first HC jobs, like Andy R.

Basically, one faces the same problem when picking a new HC. Either you go with someone with HC experience, who has most certainly been fired before, and hope you get Marv Levy rather than John Rauch or Dick Jauron or Chan Gailey; or you hire an up-and-coming coordinator who is looking for his first big shot, and hope you get Mike Tomlin and not Gregg Williams or Charlie Weiss; or you hire a successful college HC looking to move up and hope you get Jim Harbaugh and not Lou Holtz or Steve Spurrier....

Any way you slice it, there are no guarantees.

Edited by RJ (not THAT RJ)

Yeah, you can't count newbie coaches with less than 3 years on the job because that's the amount of time typically given a coach to prove his mettle.

Once you disqualify that group, it's really hard to find a coach who hasn't been fired.

The Harbaughs look like they'll be secure in their jobs for a very long time for sure.

Getting fired is not unique to the NFL coaching community. Getting fired at multiple stops and continuing to keep a job is, and that's what Gailey and Wannstedt have done.

Wannstedt has Jimmy Johnson to thank for his employment, and Chan Gailey owes Bill Cowher. Otherwise both of them would be out of the league.

Bill Cowher "retired" after being the Steelers HC for 15 years to be with his family, quite different from being asked to "resign" like Wannstooge was at Pitt for doing so much losing.

Lou Saban also comes to mind, but he resigned from his HCing gig at Toledo to be an assistant with Bill Belichicks Cleveland Browns. Again not the same type of resigning. Michigan St HC to LSU HC, to Miami Dolphins HC, to Alabama HC

Don't forget Chan Gailey was fired by KC head coach Todd Haley 2 weeks before the 09 season started, and spent 09 out of football. I think Nix was on his "last resort" list of people when he hired Gailey