RIP Yellow-Yellow

Just Jack

Her "obit"....

http://www.adirondac...w-obituary.html

Apparently, advanced age brought about an alleged increased aggressiveness toward campers and hikers with food, which is a common phenomenon among the animal kingdom as anyone observing geriatrics at a Denny’s around five in the afternoon can attest. Perhaps this aggressiveness played a role in her recent demise.

No not at all. Just saying... For over a hundred years, through good and bad years, they did not wander into town... Now in recent years... They begin to wander in? I cited Long Lake... Know for their proximity to black bears... Not a problem yet, sighting with the town limits is actually going up... For a town that has been there for so long, what is changing?

Because the settlers hunted them to near extinction, and because of the way they breed and the cub survival rate (low) it has taken this long for them to get back to healthy numbers.

That's true. In 1920 it was a novelty to see a deer in NY. They had been shot out by year round hunting. Look at them now.

Wait 5 years. Mario Williams was brought in to neutralize deer, not opponents defenses. offenses.

edit: d'oh

Edited by jboyst62

Because the settlers hunted them to near extinction, and because of the way they breed and the cub survival rate (low) it has taken this long for them to get back to healthy numbers.

IMO, it is also policy. It goes beyond numbers alone. Say stuff like waste and transfer of trash... In the old days, open dumps were common and there the animals stayed... Taking the "easy" way out vs. more overt human interaction. The ADK park has been protected for over a 100 plus years. Now everything (pertaining to trash) is sealed up and transfered away... So whatever animals are around, get deparate and wander into town. That is why I cited that "fly paper" approach for remote towns w/bear populations. I am not dipsuting what you say... It is very much true... BUT there are many variables... Keep them dumb and on welfare roaming the public dump/hallow... Or get them lean mean, smarter with every generation and competitive? ;) ;)