The Entitlement Mentality - The GOP Edition

Don't claim that they work. Explain what, specifically, the term trickle-down economics refers to, and how that specific economic philosophy works.

I'm not sure if you don't get it or if you are trying to prove a point, but I think you are doing the latter.

Basically trickle down is the label that progressives throw at supply side economics. You create an environment favorable to hiring through lessening the burden on businesses through tax breaks/lower rates and loosened regulations.

They learnin you anything about reading comprehension or critical thinkin in that there college of yours? The GOP objects to the government forcing others to pay for your birth control pills, rubbers and abortions. Ya see, some people have religious objections to bc & abortions and make a stink about it. Trust me, I don't want into your uterus and am not going to make a judgement if you choose to snuff out a fetus.

I'm completely in agreement with you. I'm just typically sarcastic and I forget I can't type in a sarcastic tone. :thumbsup:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if you don't get it or if you are trying to prove a point, but I think you are doing the latter.

Basically trickle down is the label that progressives throw at supply side economics. You create an environment favorable to hiring through lessening the burden on businesses through tax breaks/lower rates and loosened regulations.

I'm completely in agreement with you. I'm just typically sarcastic and I forget I can't type in a sarcastic tone. :thumbsup:

Alright, you're not an enigma anymore. Use the training wheels called emoticons until you get some street cred here. I'm glad you don't want me in your uterus.

Alright, you're not an enigma anymore. Use the training wheels called emoticons until you get some street cred here. I'm glad you don't want me in your uterus.

I'm still learning these internets work. Maybe I'll just write [sarcasm] at the end of all of my prickish responses.

I should add Al Gore to my Christmas card list... [sarcasm]

I'm still learning these internets work. Maybe I'll just write [sarcasm] at the end of all of my prickish responses.

I should add Al Gore to my Christmas card list... [sarcasm]

This is a good first step:

:bag:

You can always walk it back.

:bag:

Do you have to play the clown 9 out of 10 times? When you don't play the clown someone can at least have a conversation with you that makes some sense. When you play the clown there's not much difference between you and Conner/Ducky.

Huh?

Who wants a trickle? Then again, beggars can't be choosy... That is why I am not oposed. A trickle is a trickle even if what you and Tasker say is the truth (which I highly doubt... You wouldn't be posting here as know it alls).

This country was in a free fall heading into the 2008 elections. 800,000 jobs a month were being lost. The feds were printing money faster you could count it. the interests rates and inflation were distorted. The dollar, compared to canada, europe and china was pretty much worthless. The stock exchange went from an all time high to almost cut in half in six months! So you tell me trickle down economics and deregulation works?

You just described the effects of the financial crisis, so I'm not really sure what your point is.

As to your "trickle down" theory, if you're not going to answer TYTT or LABF's questions can you at least identify the fundamental policy changes that make the Bush years distinctly more "trickle down" than the Reagan, Bush 1, & Clinton years?

Also, if you could, will you tell me about this deregulation, when it occurred, and specifically how it impacted the economy?

Thanks, man.

You just described the effects of the financial crisis, so I'm not really sure what your point is.

As to your "trickle down" theory, if you're not going to answer TYTT or LABF's questions can you at least identify the fundamental policy changes that make the Bush years distinctly more "trickle down" than the Reagan, Bush 1, & Clinton years?

Also, if you could, will you tell me about this deregulation, when it occurred, and specifically how it impacted the economy?

Thanks, man.

I almost always enjoy your posts, and no I'm not offering up my number.

Thanks, man.

I'd also be interested to know what he believes differentiated the Obama Administration's policies from the Bush Administration's policies. But first he needs to explain what "trickle-down economics" are.

Thanks, man.

The silence is deafening. Don't worry, I'm sure he will explain it as soon as he is done searching google for talking points.

I'd also be interested to know what he believes differentiated the Obama Administration's policies from the Bush Administration's policies. But first he needs to explain what "trickle-down economics" are.

Are you implying the Bush tax cuts aren't motivated to stimulate business? It's such a stupid question you ask, you must be trying to set me up to prove some point. What is your agenda?

The silence is deafening. Don't worry, I'm sure he will explain it as soon as he is done searching google for talking points.

Sorry, I have this thing called a life. If I don't answer fast enough I am probably working on one of my customers orders. I work seven days a week to keep my business running.

Are you implying the Bush tax cuts aren't motivated to stimulate business? It's such a stupid question you ask, you must be trying to set me up to prove some point. What is your agenda?

Again, this isn't an explanation of how trickle-down theory works.

I would think, given your strong feelings on the matter, that you'd have an answer at the ready right in your back pocket.

It's OK, I'll be patient. What, specifically, are trickle-down economics, and how do they work.

It's unfortunate that's the only way you know how to communicate.

But it doesn't have to be you. Any liberal should be able to answer the question: Exiled, Dr. Daurenstien, Conner, New Bills...any of you. You obviously know the economy is the most important issue, and you obviously know Obama's plan is to grow the economy from the middle out....SOOOOO....

Someone. Anyone. Please explain how Obama plans to grow the economy from the middle out.

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

It's simple really. It's the BO "Fairness" Doctrine:

Everyone gets to keep up to $50,000 from their job. The rest goes to the government to give $50,000 to those who don't have a job.

Everyone gets $50,000 a year, no more, no less.

The math is clear. In twenty years everyone will be a millionaire.

That's the plan.

Forward!

Edited by Nanker

I still think we are a center-right country overall, and remain so on fiscal issues. But we are becoming more polarized on social issues and the mainstream has shifted from center-right to center-left in that area.

Momentum swings back and forth and the biggest short term impact is a popular President. For all our bitching about whoever is in office, we love our incumbants. In the past 30 years, every President except Bush (and that probably only thanks to Perot) has been reelected.

I can agree that we are right of center on some fiscal issues, you do have a point on that. The fact that the republican party wants to be the party of religion, is alienating a lot of people. I couldn't care less what religion they choose, to a rational person, they sound nuts on some things. And sure, it might tighten their base, but you don't win elections based on that. I am not saying that to rile people up- I hope they adjust. If they don't, another group will take their place.

I can agree that we are right of center on some fiscal issues, you do have a point on that. The fact that the republican party wants to be the party of religion, is alienating a lot of people. I couldn't care less what religion they choose, to a rational person, they sound nuts on some things. And sure, it might tighten their base, but you don't win elections based on that. I am not saying that to rile people up- I hope they adjust. If they don't, another group will take their place.

I think that's the point a lot of people have made here. That strategy used to win national elections but that's not the case any longer. The problem for Republicans is that strategy still wins local/state elections so they need to figure out how to reconcile those two realities.

Sorry all, got busy this weekend and havent had a chance to get back on the board since yesterday morning. Obviously this thread has taken a life of it's own so I'm only going to reply where necessary...

People who disagree are welcome & appreciated. But you have to add something of value to earn respect. I can't imagine you honestly believe your OP was in anyway insightful. It was inflammatory, derisive, & based solely on the tenuous connection between your prejudices and what you observed.

It bothers me, because I tend to have a lot more respect for what you bring to the main board that the childish babbling you so often bring here. And it's not just a party thing. I know plenty of people far to the left of you who are intelligent & discuss ideas - that's not what you're doing here. They wouldn't give the garbage you posted in this thread the time of day. If someone came out to the courtyard & started spewing this crap the crowd would disperse, libs included, and everyone would suddenly have somewhere they had to be.

Rob, as usual, your posting here is objective and articulate. I know you probably couldnt care less about my approval, but you're truly a light in this dark hole of a subsection. I know exactly what you mean and dont disagree on most of your points, but the thing is, I just dont care about the PPP or how I come off here. This post was inspired by the repeated stupidity I saw at the top of the page when I checked it Saturday morning. Shame on me for letting the typical PPP poster influence me like that, but it happened. If I really wanted to be a jerk, I would've been posting on Tuesday night when the PPP's little dream was crumbling before their eyes. If there was a way to simply drive by the PPP, flip everyone a big double bird, dust crop a stinky fart, and be on my way... that is what I would have done as that is what most of this place deserves.

That being said, I stick by what I wrote. Romney and his buddies thought they could fall back on money and "white angst" to win this election. They thought the voter turn out in 2008 was an anomaly and things would "go back to normal", regardless of their social bigotry and plan to stomp on civil rights. Nothing could make me prouder to be an American than to see that plan blow up in their face, and for the People stand up for what they know is right.

For the folks here that say this election was all about the economy/jobs, you are wrong. America was not created so people could make more money. It was created so people could be free. It's the Unites States of America, not the United Bank of America. The Declaration says "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness", not the "Pursuit of Profits".

There should NEVER be a single topic election, and if there was, it certainly shouldn't be over money. Money is an abstract BS concept that keeps the society as we know it moving along. But if it were to all go away, life would go on. We would go back to farming, we wouldnt have 3 iPads per household, but life would go on just fine, as long as we have our rights and freedoms. Rights and Freedom should always trump Money.

Any candidate/party that comes out and says the crap that leaked out of Republican's mouths over the past year does not deserve to be elected in the USA. The way they handled themselves over the last year was disgusting. It is impossible for me to give them any real respect, and very difficult for me to give any respect to anyone who agreed with them. Selling out equality and freedom for a few extra bucks just doesnt work for me.

1) Romney got where he was by working his ass off, first to learn and then to accomplish. You may think money earned from a life in business isn't as pure as a bank account filled with dollars from being a plumber. If you're here to demonize someone for entering a line of work where the reward is high because the risk is high... go to hell.

There was a guy in an article yesterday who wanted to sit down with Romney to talk about things and asked when would be a good time. Romney said he was going to be very busy for quite some time getting a lot of awesome people from his campaign good jobs. That is the measure of the man, even in defeat.

Mitt Romney is a respectable man, which is more than I can say for how you've come here to peacock.

LOL! Yes, he's so respectable and wanting to help people... that he cancelled all of his staff's credit cards Tuesday night and stuck them with their hotel and travel bills. REAL upstanding guy right there... :rolleyes:

http://firstread.nbc...romneyland?lite

Edited by DrDareustein

Sorry all, got busy this weekend and havent had a chance to get back on the board since yesterday morning. Obviously this thread has taken a life of it's own so I'm only going to reply where necessary...

Rob, as usual, your posting here is objective and articulate. I know you probably couldnt care less about my approval, but you're truly a light in this dark hole of a subsection. I know exactly what you mean and dont disagree on most of your points, but the thing is, I just dont care about the PPP or how I come off here. This post was inspired by the repeated stupidity I saw at the top of the page when I checked it Saturday morning. Shame on me for letting the typical PPP poster influence me like that, but it happened. If I really wanted to be a jerk, I would've been posting on Tuesday night when the PPP's little dream was crumbling before their eyes. If there was a way to simply drive by the PPP, flip everyone a big double bird, dust crop a stinky fart, and be on my way... that is what I would have done as that is what most of this place deserves.

That being said, I stick by what I wrote. Romney and his buddies thought they could fall back on money and "white angst" to win this election. They thought the voter turn out in 2008 was an anomaly and things would "go back to normal", regardless of their social bigotry and plan to stomp on civil rights. Nothing could make me prouder to be an American than to see that plan to blow up in their face, and for the People stand up for what they know is right.

For the folks here that say this election was all about the economy/jobs, you are wrong. America was not created so people could me more money. It was created so people could be free. It's the Unites States of America, not the United Bank of America. The Declaration says "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness", not the "Pursuit of Profits".

There should NEVER be a single topic election, and if there was, it certainly shouldn't be over money. Money is an abstract BS concept that keeps the society as we know it moving along. But if it were to all go away, life would go on. We would go back to farming, we wouldnt have 3 iPads per household, but life would go on just fine, as long as we have our rights and freedoms. Rights and Freedom should always trump Money.

Any candidate/party that comes out and says the crap that leaked out of Republican's mouths over the past year does not deserve to be elected in the USA. The way they handled themselves over the last year was disgusting. It is impossible for me to give them any real respect, and very difficult for me to give any respect to anyone who agreed with them. Selling out equality and freedom for a few extra bucks just doesnt work for me.

LOL! Yes, he's so respectable and wanting to help people... that he cancelled all of his staff's credit cards Tuesday night and stuck them with their hotel and travel bills. REAL upstanding guy right there... :rolleyes:

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/08/15024793-the-last-days-of-romneyland?lite

Actually they were given severance until January.

That being said we are not talking about a few extra bucks. We are talking about people having the opportunity to make a good living in contrast to not making a good living. If you want a good example, look at all the struggling economies in Europe. What stands out the most is youth unemployment.

If you think this election wasn't about the economy, well guess what Sherlock, the next one will be about austerity.

That being said, I stick by what I wrote. Romney and his buddies thought they could fall back on money and "white angst" to win this election. They thought the voter turn out in 2008 was an anomaly and things would "go back to normal", regardless of their social bigotry and plan to stomp on civil rights. Nothing could make me prouder to be an American than to see that plan blow up in their face, and for the People stand up for what they know is right.

For the folks here that say this election was all about the economy/jobs, you are wrong. America was not created so people could make more money. It was created so people could be free. It's the Unites States of America, not the United Bank of America. The Declaration says "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness", not the "Pursuit of Profits".

http://firstread.nbc...romneyland?lite

I guess since starting this thread you didn't bother to do any fact checking of the things you stated in the OP if you still feel the same way. You talk about freedom. Do you actually think that freedom would be diminished under Romney, or expanded under Obama? The only freedoms we've gained under Obama are the freedom of being more dependent on the government and the freedom to pay for other people's schit.

Actually they were given severance until January.

That being said we are not talking about a few extra bucks. We are talking about people having the opportunity to make a good living in contrast to not making a good living. If you want a good example, look at all the struggling economies in Europe. What stands out the most is youth unemployment.

If you think this election wasn't about the economy, well guess what Sherlock, the next one will be about austerity.

This election SHOULD have been about the economy. HOWEVER, GOP candidates simply couldnt keep their ignorant and bigoted mouths shut long enough to seal the easy win. If they keep Bible-thumping and insist on rooting their ideals in hatred and ignorance, they'll never win, no matter how good their economic plan looks.

This election SHOULD have been about the economy. HOWEVER, GOP candidates simply couldnt keep their ignorant and bigoted mouths shut long enough to seal the easy win. If they keep Bible-thumping and insist on rooting their ideals in hatred and ignorance, they'll never win, no matter how good their economic plan looks.

The election is about the electorate. While that sounds plain and smile, most things are. What you said in the last sentence is usually true, but in some scary cases in history, it didn't hold true.