Bills Can't Possibly Win - Can they?

No surprise--for like the 20th straight year we have to play the pats after their bye or in the opener.

I'd really like to know what the NFL takes into account when determining its final schedule. You mean to tell me that with all of the computer permutations they run to arrive at an "optimal" schedule, that this is what the Bills end up having???:

- Back-to-back west coast road games (San Francisco and Arizona) followed by...

- A game against a team coming off of 10 days rest (Tennessee). Followed by...

- A game against a team coming off of its bye week (Houston), negating your (Buffalo) bye week "advantage". Followed by...

- A game against a divisional opponent coming off of its bye week (NE*) {for what seems like the umpteenth time, as JR said}. Followed by...

- Another game against a divisional opponent (Miami) on a short week.

Really??? This is ridiculous whether it's the Bills or any other team. I know that bye weeks are a money grab for the NFL by stretching the season but how about making it fair for all 32 teams? Who needs a bye in Week 4?! Teams off in Weeks 4 -10? You really need 7 bye weeks and a weakened slate of games for nearly two months?? Here's what I would do and the league still gets its precious extra week:

- Four bye weeks starting in Week 7. This ends the useless, early season byes and gives everyone a truer "half season" bye.

- There would be two entire divisions off in each of Weeks 7, 8, 9, & 10. One AFC, one NFC to balance out the TV schedule. For example, AFC East & NFC East off in Week 7. This works with an even number of teams in each division. The league has not expanded yet so this model does apply.

- The following week, all of the bye week teams would play within their own division. For example, in Week 8 - NE* vs. BUF (since NE* always gets this, anyway), MIA vs. NYJ; DAL vs. WAS, PHI vs. NYG.

- Thursday Night games: A team would neither have to play a divisional opponent on one of these short weeks, nor would they be allowed to play another divisional opponent after having the 10 day "advantage" of participating in the previous week's Thursday game.

This would take some doing but it could be done. The league works on these schedules for months and comes up with thousands of variations before releasing the final version.

I always find it comical that people on here think that anyone would need or be helped by 2 weeks to game plan for the Bills. It's more likely a afternoons work.

Not the point. This shouldn't be the case for any team, not just the Bills. The league can correct these situations and should. End of story.

BTW, Chevy...nice article.

I'd really like to know what the NFL takes into account when determining its final schedule. You mean to tell me that with all of the computer permutations they run to arrive at an "optimal" schedule, that this is what the Bills end up having???:

- Back-to-back west coast road games (San Francisco and Arizona) followed by...

- A game against a team coming off of 10 days rest (Tennessee). Followed by...

- A game against a team coming off of its bye week (Houston), negating your (Buffalo) bye week "advantage". Followed by...

- A game against a divisional opponent coming off of its bye week (NE*) {for what seems like the umpteenth time, as JR said}. Followed by...

- Another game against a divisional opponent (Miami) on a short week.

Really??? This is ridiculous whether it's the Bills or any other team. I know that bye weeks are a money grab for the NFL by stretching the season but how about making it fair for all 32 teams? Who needs a bye in Week 4?! Teams off in Weeks 4 -10? You really need 7 bye weeks and a weakened slate of games for nearly two months?? Here's what I would do and the league still gets its precious extra week:

- Four bye weeks starting in Week 7. This ends the useless, early season byes and gives everyone a truer "half season" bye.

- There would be two entire divisions off in each of Weeks 7, 8, 9, & 10. One AFC, one NFC to balance out the TV schedule. For example, AFC East & NFC East off in Week 7. This works with an even number of teams in each division. The league has not expanded yet so this model does apply.

- The following week, all of the bye week teams would play within their own division. For example, in Week 8 - NE* vs. BUF (since NE* always gets this, anyway), MIA vs. NYJ; DAL vs. WAS, PHI vs. NYG.

- Thursday Night games: A team would neither have to play a divisional opponent on one of these short weeks, nor would they be allowed to play another divisional opponent after having the 10 day "advantage" of participating in the previous week's Thursday game.

This would take some doing but it could be done. The league works on these schedules for months and comes up with thousands of variations before releasing the final version.

Not the point. This shouldn't be the case for any team, not just the Bills. The league can correct these situations and should. End of story.

BTW, Chevy...nice article.

Nice write up...

However the Bills can play 10 non-divisional games against These **** TEams - Cleveland, Cincy, Arizona, Jags, Carolina, Chiefs, Oakland, Tennessee, Detroit and St-Louis

and they would still find a way to be 6-10 or 5-11!

They would lose all 6 division games and would win about 5-6 other games!

But hey, heres to hoping! I honestly thought they were gonna win last week against Houston. Im still hoping for the best but I think last weeks game was the season.

Cheers

Nice write up...

However the Bills can play 10 non-divisional games against These **** TEams - Cleveland, Cincy, Arizona, Jags, Carolina, Chiefs, Oakland, Tennessee, Detroit and St-Louis

and they would still find a way to be 6-10 or 5-11!

They would lose all 6 division games and would win about 5-6 other games!

But hey, heres to hoping! I honestly thought they were gonna win last week against Houston. Im still hoping for the best but I think last weeks game was the season.

Cheers

Obviously the Bills will find a way to suck no matter what the situation, but it is utterly insane how often we get the Patriots* coming off their bye week. It's simply not fair. (I know, I know, the Bills are an irrelevant franchise who doesn't deserve special or even fair treatment in some people's eyes, but it's just not right)

That being said, I've always thought that the Pats* must treat the Bills weeks as extra bye weeks being that it is a guaranteed win. But now I'm thinking...it may just be their toughest weeks of prep all season.

Seriously.

Belichek must have to work twice as hard to keep his team focused and not let up! Haha.

I can get behind the players more than the coach at this point. I just Think Chan will make a few horrible decisions during critical moments of a game that turn wins into losses. Its a sick feeling really, had the same thing with jauron

Gailey is a better offensive coach than Jauron was/is a defensive coach. However, you are correct. How many times have we said this year If Gailey just didn't call the wildcat then or oh if he just gave it to Fred instead of C.J. or if he just didn't call a pass right then!

Chan Gailey is an okay coach at best. I believe he is suited for being a college offensive coordinator.

As fans, the best we've really gotten is-- "He'd be so good if he didn't do this, or that..."

But that's the point. Good and great coaches and players make the right decisions/plays at the most crucial times.

I still believe this team has 10-6 talent or better. I believe in Nix's talent evaluation but hiring the wrong coach might be his downfall as well. A GM HAS to get that right. My only hope is that we finally get the right guy in after Chan is hopefully fired and Wannstedt and Gailey didn't do too much damage to the talented players we do have who are underperforming (Dareus, Mario Williams, Aaron Williams, even Gilmore, Shep, etc)

For the love of all that is holy can we get a GREAT coach in Buffalo please????????