Here ya go Bledsoe apologists

With props to FTG over at Billzone for pulling this info together, here are Dredfuls numbers for 2004.

Player Att Comp Yds Comp% Yds/At TD INT INT% Long Sack/Lost Rating

Bledsoe 450 256 2932 56.9 6.5 20 16 3.6 69 37/215 76.6

The numbers don't lie folks. Whine about the OL all you want but I believe McGahaee had over 1000 yards rushing behind that line in LESS THAN a full season.

Could Losman put up numbers like this? Absolutely.

Deny it all you want, reality will eventually hit you in the face.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With props to FTG over at Billzone for pulling this info together, here are Dredfuls numbers for 2004.

Player  Att    Comp    Yds  Comp%  Yds/At  TD  INT    INT%  Long  Sack/Lost  Rating

Bledsoe  450 256 2932 56.9  6.5  20  16      3.6 69 37/215      76.6

The numbers don't lie folks.  Whine about the OL all you want but I believe McGahaee had over 1000 yards rushing behind that line in LESS THAN a full season. 

Could Losman put up numbers like this?  Absolutely.

191381[/snapback]

From the Buffalo News:

"I don't think that Drew has a heckuva lot of time to throw the ball. The guys are right on top of him. By the time he gets back, boom. We've got to straighten the offense out all the way around. There's not much blocking. The whole scheme of it has to be straightened out. I just think we've got better players than we've shown." This was Ralph Wilson's response.

Ron Jaworski, the former Philadelphia Eagles great quarterback and ESPN analyst, agreed with Wilson after the game.

"There is no doubt in my mind he can still win," Jaworski said. "Drew is one of those guys who needs protection. He's what I call a plant, step and throw quarterback. He needs to be comfortable in the pocket where he can do that. If you start showing color in his face and he starts throwing off his back foot because of pressure up the middle, he becomes a little bit erratic. When you build around him, you have to start with the interior of the offensive line. I think Drew is still a very, very good quarterback in this league."

Player  Att    Comp    Yds  Comp%  Yds/At  TD  INT    INT%  Long  Sack/Lost  Rating

The numbers don't lie folks.  Whine about the OL all you want but I believe McGahaee had over 1000 yards rushing behind that line in LESS THAN a full season. 

191381[/snapback]

Good post and I couldnt agree more.

Id love to also find a stat that shows how many of Drew's TD passes were setup by GREAT field position either by a ST or Defensive play.

From the Buffalo News:

"I don't think that Drew has a heckuva lot of time to throw the ball. The guys are right on top of him. By the time he gets back, boom. We've got to straighten the offense out all the way around. There's not much blocking. The whole scheme of it has to be straightened out. I just think we've got better players than we've shown." This was Ralph Wilson's response.

Ron Jaworski, the former Philadelphia Eagles great quarterback and ESPN analyst, agreed with Wilson after the game.

"There is no doubt in my mind he can still win," Jaworski said. "Drew is one of those guys who needs protection. He's what I call a plant, step and throw quarterback. He needs to be comfortable in the pocket where he can do that. If you start showing color in his face and he starts throwing off his back foot because of pressure up the middle, he becomes a little bit erratic. When you build around him, you have to start with the interior of the offensive line. I think Drew is still a very, very good quarterback in this league."

191385[/snapback]

How many times are you going to post this stupid steaming pile of Bledsoe?

From the Buffalo News:

"I don't think that Drew has a heckuva lot of time to throw the ball. The guys are right on top of him. By the time he gets back, boom.

191385[/snapback]

This says it all......and it's dead on accurate......do you know why he doesn't have a "heckuva lot of time to throw the ball"?? Because if there was an open competition between the two, my FRIGGIN GRANDMOTHER could drop back and set herself to deliver the ball faster than Drew could! It's because of DREW that he hasn't enough time......part of the reason people think our line sucks is because their baseline for passs protection is like a second or two more than what would be required with most other QBs......Hell, did anyone watch the Cowboys game last night? Even a 40 something Vinny Testaverde can set up quicker and move around in the pocket! Drew is too friggin slow.........why can't anyone else see this?

191381[/snapback]

Those almost precisely mimic his career numbers...TD/INT ratio, completion percentage, yards per attempt. Only the yards/game is markedly lower (183 this season vs. 231 career).

So what it basically amounts to is: Bledsoe had a typical season. The question then becomes: do you like Bledsoe or not? And we're right back where we started...<yawn>

Those almost precisely mimic his career numbers...TD/INT ratio, completion percentage, yards per attempt.  Only the yards/game is markedly lower (183 this season vs. 231 career). 

So what it basically amounts to is: Bledsoe had a typical season.  The question then becomes: do you like Bledsoe or not?  And we're right back where we started...<yawn>

191412[/snapback]

The typical Bledsoe season includes being at your worst when the games mean the most.

The typical Bledsoe season includes being at your worst when the games mean the most.

191421[/snapback]

Yep, and the only reason his TD/INT ratio is not 1:1 or worse is because the defensive backs on other teams are not used to balls hitting them in the numbers.

This says it all......and it's dead on accurate......do you know why he doesn't have a "heckuva lot of time to throw the ball"??  Because if there was an open competition between the two, my FRIGGIN GRANDMOTHER could drop back and set herself to deliver the ball faster than Drew could!  It's because of DREW that he hasn't enough time......part of the reason people think our line sucks is because their baseline for passs protection is like a second or two more than what would be required with most other QBs......Hell, did anyone watch the Cowboys game last night? Even a 40 something Vinny Testaverde can set up quicker and move around in the pocket! Drew is too friggin slow.........why  can't anyone else see this?

191410[/snapback]

It also points to the fact that EVERY SINGLE DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR IN THE LEAGUE knows that you can rush Drew from any angle and at any speed. The one thing they're sure if is that he'll be a few yards behind where he was when he took the snap.

doesnt every qb in the league face this pressure????

the reason you are an nfl qb is b/c you are quick to read D's and can feel pressure, even when you cant see it. if not, youre just like the rest of us...fans. the quicker we go to losman, the quicker we can start moving forward.

losman-mcgahee-evans = dynasty. lets get there now.

It also points to the fact that EVERY SINGLE DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR IN THE LEAGUE  knows that you can rush Drew from any angle and at any speed.  The one thing they're sure if is that he'll be a few yards behind where he was when he took the snap.

191445[/snapback]

That's kinda scary......but true. I bet they could make some sort of computer generated mark on the field like they do the yellow first down line........probably every time Drew was sacked he'd be right on top of that same mark.

191385[/snapback]

Nobody has a heck of a lot of time to throw the damn ball! Even Manning is hurried sometimes. It's when you DO have time to throw the ball that counts. You've got to make the best of it, and Drew doesn't.

IMHO, "Drew is still a ver, very good (backup) quarterback in this league."

That's not to say he lost the game for us, because he didn't. He didn't win it for us, either. And we need a QB who can do that when the special teams and defense are not playing up to standards.

Nobody has a heck of a lot of time to throw the damn ball! Even Manning is hurried sometimes. It's when you DO have time to throw the ball that counts. You've got to make the best of it, and Drew doesn't.

191467[/snapback]

Exactly.......if you have two QBs each with the same amt of time to get rid of the ball......let's say, 3 seconds.........QB-A uses up 1 second to drop back and get set, and has 2 seconds to make a decision and get rid of the ball. QB-B takes FOUR seconds to not really drop back, but sort of propel himself slowly with some sort of seizure like mechanations......then requires another two seconds to actually turn around and face forward......a few more to make a decision......one more to get a "pat" of the ball completed.......hell, by then there just is no point.

(Just in case I made it too unclear, Bledsoe was not QB-A)

191381[/snapback]

Taking the Bledsoe part out, I will whine about the line. I say McGahee gained 1000 in spite of the line. Given a line that makes holes, and he's good for 2000+ yards.

Last I knew, pass blocking and run blocking were different skills. I thought the line passed blocked much better than they run blocked the last 5 games.

191421[/snapback]

Which is just another way of saying that we can't rely on Bledsoe to win games...which is something we all knew to begin with.

Thouugh really, how many QBs can you rely on to win when you put the game in their hands? Offhand...Manning, Favre, maybe Culpepper. McNair when he's healthy. Maybe Trent Green and Marc Bulger, if you really want to stretch it you might include Carr or Leftwich. Other than that...McNabb has a good history of choking when you ask him to do too much; just look at the way he caved in when he lost Owens and started trying to do everything. Brees, Brady, and Rothlesberger are both where they are precisely because Tomlinson, Dillon, and Bettis were asked to win games, not them. Who else? Jake Plummer? Brian Griese? Chad Pennington? The "QB that wins games" is the exception to the rule: most are relied on to not lose games, and most of THOSE typically lose games when they're asked to try to win them.

Which is just another way of saying that we can't rely on Bledsoe to win games...which is something we all knew to begin with. 

Thouugh really, how many QBs can you rely on to win when you put the game in their hands?  Offhand...Manning, Favre, maybe Culpepper.  McNair when he's healthy.  Maybe Trent Green and Marc Bulger, if you really want to stretch it you might include Carr or Leftwich.  Other than that...McNabb has a good history of choking when you ask him to do too much; just look at the way he caved in when he lost Owens and started trying to do everything.  Brees, Brady, and Rothlesberger are both where they are precisely because Tomlinson, Dillon, and Bettis were asked to win games, not them.  Who else?  Jake Plummer?  Brian Griese?  Chad Pennington?  The "QB that wins games" is the exception to the rule: most are relied on to not lose games, and most of THOSE typically lose games when they're asked to try to win them.

191476[/snapback]

You can add Vick to the first list......he can win you games without even using his arm.

You can add Vick to the first list......he can win you games without even using his arm.

191481[/snapback]

No, I can't and I won't, for the same reason I wouldn't have added Randall Cunningham fifteen or twenty years ago. In both cases, they're dangerous players who on any given play could hurt you...but couldn't manage a long, game-winning drive, simply because their style of play was geared around their big-play ability...and big plays are essentially random occurrances in the game; in that you can't predict when they'll happen. You CAN estimate the likelihood of a completion on a 10-yard out, but not of Vick breaking an 80-yard TD scramble. It's no coincidence that Cunningham's best season - and his team's best season - was when Minnesota went 15-1, when not only was he not asked to win games, but was frankly too old to play his scramble-happy style from ten years previous. When Cunningham was forced to rely on the team around him, he became an excellent QB...as McNabb has done this year, and Michael Vick will eventually have to do if he wants to be effective.

But until Vick learns to play QB, and not play the Road Runner to defenses' Wile E. Coyotes, he's not someone who you want to ask to win games.

Thouugh really, how many QBs can you rely on to win when you put the game in their hands?  Offhand...Manning, Favre, maybe Culpepper.  McNair when he's healthy.  Maybe Trent Green and Marc Bulger, if you really want to stretch it you might include Carr or Leftwich.  Other than that...McNabb has a good history of choking when you ask him to do too much; just look at the way he caved in when he lost Owens and started trying to do everything.  Brees, Brady, and Rothlesberger are both where they are precisely because Tomlinson, Dillon, and Bettis were asked to win games, not them.  Who else?  Jake Plummer?  Brian Griese?  Chad Pennington?  The "QB that wins games" is the exception to the rule: most are relied on to not lose games, and most of THOSE typically lose games when they're asked to try to win them.

191476[/snapback]

Well...Brady did manage to get 2 Super Bowl Rings without Dillon, so I would say he is firmly in the column of QB's who can win Games for their Team...Big Ben has not been great every Game, but he certainly did have his share of good Games during The Steelers streak...The same could be said about Brees...

I see the still see this as a QB's League...I'm not saying everyone is Manning, or has to be for that matter...But when you look at the Playoff QB's...Big Ben, Brady, Vick, Favre, Brees, Culpepper, Pennington, McNabb, Bulger, and of coarse Manning have ALL done more than their fair share throughout this Season...Even Plummer and Hassleback had their moments...

Granted you can't go to the Playoffs without some balance...But for the most part, throughout the Season, your QB has to step up more than he disappears, or you're going Home for January... :P

No, I can't and I won't, for the same reason I wouldn't have added Randall Cunningham fifteen or twenty years ago.  In both cases, they're dangerous players who on any given play could hurt you...but couldn't manage a long, game-winning drive, simply because their style of play was geared around their big-play ability...and big plays are essentially random occurrances in the game; in that you can't predict when they'll happen.  You CAN estimate the likelihood of a completion on a 10-yard out, but not of Vick breaking an 80-yard TD scramble.  It's no coincidence that Cunningham's best season - and his team's best season - was when Minnesota went 15-1, when not only was he not asked to win games, but was frankly too old to play his scramble-happy style from ten years previous.  When Cunningham was forced to rely on the team around him, he became an excellent QB...as McNabb has done this year, and Michael Vick will eventually have to do if he wants to be effective. 

But until Vick learns to play QB, and not play the Road Runner to defenses' Wile E. Coyotes, he's not someone who you want to ask to win games.

191498[/snapback]

Well, having lived in Philly when Randall was there and now living in Atlanta and seeing Vick every week, I can assure you that Vick is a superior athlete by far. Randall was the more prolific passer, but I can't say he was any bettter than Vick. I don't understand your point about sustaining drives at all.......the Falcons have done that all year. They have one of the top (maybe even THE top) running game in the NFL. Vick does need to find his receivers more often, but he's definitley not the type of QB who just has one or two big plays a game.......He has a lot of consistent smaller plays that keep the chains moving, too. There is very little Vick cannot do.....he'll only get better from this point forward.