Fiscal Cliff

For a detailed behind the scenes on the almost debt deal, I recommend Woodard's The Price of Politics. Few at the top come off looking good. Maybe Geitner and actually also Biden. Everyone else is terrible.

I like that there's all this talk about the fiscal cliff...like it's arriving from nowhere. Meanwhile, these cuts have been looming for months and no one had plans for dealing with them.

I am not convinced that letting the sequestration cuts--that both sides agreed was the consequence of their not getting a deal done--go into effect and "eating our peas" as Obama likes to say, isn't the best course. The Dems and Reps both said this was the price for failing to get the deal done. Hey jerkoffs, let's pay the price...and maybe the electorate will have you all pay the price come November 2014.

Boehner just spoke, gist of it was "I want to keep my options open," and "tax reform to get new revenue" and never used "revenue neutral" ...

As for "coming out of nowhere" it's b/c you had to have the election first...it's that simple...

As for letting it kick it...it almost certainly will for a bit...anything that deals with it in late January or early February can be made retroactive as many policy analysts have said...also with the election Obama now as new leverage and if he just lets the the tax cuts expire then all the sudden he has even more leverage b/c now whatever they do will be lowering taxes...the "Obama tax cuts and tax reform" and obviously Boehner won't let it go w/ out the "Obama spending cuts."...at least some guy on POTUS channel was talking about it that way the other day...makes sense he had me convinced it will kick in and Boehner said it won't be dealt with in lame duck (I think)

Anyway....this saga will be over covered by the media as if it's the end of the world but the bottom line is there will be something by next February and likely a more comprehensive plan by the end of next year that sets things up for a while...

Also I haven't read Woodard's book...I wonder if there is anything better at this point out sort of forward looking as opposed to backwards looking...I would like to get something....

Edited by TheNewBills

Boehner just spoke, gist of it was "I want to keep my options open," and "tax reform to get new revenue" and never used "revenue neutral" ...

As for "coming out of nowhere" it's b/c you had to have the election first...it's that simple...

Really?

So we need to hit a cliff because of an election? Nothing could be done at all until we're 7 weeks out?

That's why these schmoes need to go: Fixing the country is not their priority--getting elected is. (Not sure what the Congress retention rate was this time...mid 90% is my off the cuff guess.)