Election Gameday Thread

fjl2nd

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who's served this nation, without your sacrifices none of us would be able to vote today. Thank you.

No matter what the outcome today, thank you to PPP (gasp) for entertaining and informing throughout this marathon campaign.

You are welcome.

PA voter reports problem with voting machines....

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/watch-glitch-voting-machine-pennsylvania-171806481--election.html

An unexpected glitch almost caused one central Pennsylvania voter to cast his ballot for the wrong candidate, highlighting concerns about voter fraud on an already tense election day. "I initially selected Obama but Romney was highlighted," writes

. "I assumed it was being picky so I de-selected Romney and tried Obama again, this time more carefully, and still got Romney."

Just got back from voting. The place was loaded with old people! I usually vote at like 7PM when it's dead. Wrote myself in for the state assembly seat!

I used to have to get weekly blood tests and I thought if I got there first when it opened it would be empty. 7am the blood lab is slammed more than I ever saw it. With old people!! They get up early.

I really hate these stories every year. Ever notice you never hear about the GOP doing this. Always the government thugs. Gotta protect those jobs!!!

Federal Job Corps Vans Used to Bus Voters in Wisconsin

By: Brian Sikma

Media Trackers has found federal Job Corps vans being used to bus voters to at least one polling location in the City of Milwaukee. A van with federal plates and driven by a Job Corps employee was seen pulling up to the small polling station at the Clara Barton Elementary School in urban Milwaukee shortly after 1:00 pm on Tuesday. A Job Corps administrator inside the polling place said the federal vans had brought approximately 125 Job Corps participants to the poll as of early afternoon.

The administrator declined to give his name. The Job Corps is a division of the United States Department of Labor, a cabinet level agency that reports directly to President Obama, who is up for re-election today and who has campaigned hard in Wisconsin in recent days.

Poll workers inside the location struggled to handle the extra traffic created by the Job Corps participants brought in from a nearby training facility. A number of them were first time voters who had to be registered using Wisconsin’s same-day registration procedure. At one point a poll worker had to be asked by an unidentified election observer to confirm that a would-be registrant actually lived in the precincts served by the polling location.

Foreign election officials amazed by trust-based U.S. voting system

For the head of Libya's national election commission, the method by which Americans vote is startling in that it depends so much on trust and the good faith of election officials and voters alike.

"It's an incredible system," said Nuri K. Elabbar, who traveled to the United States along with election officials from more than 60 countries to observe today's presidential elections as part of a program run by the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES). Your humble Cable guy visited polling places with some of the international officials this morning. Most of them agreed that in their countries, such an open voting system simply would not work.

"It's very difficult to transfer this system as it is to any other country. This system is built according to trust and this trust needs a lot of procedures and a lot of education for other countries to adopt it," Elabbar said.

The most often noted difference between American elections among the visitors was that in most U.S. states, voters need no identification. Voters can also vote by mail, sometimes online, and there's often no way to know if one person has voted several times under different names, unlike in some Arab countries, where voters ink their fingers when casting their ballots.

The international visitors also noted that there's no police at U.S. polling stations. In foreign countries, police at polling places are viewed as signs of security; in the United States they are sometimes seen as intimidating.