Who whines more - the liberals or conservatives?

???

I don't know what you mean.

If you're cutting taxes to promote growth one of the major components of that equation is the long-run effects on incentives. Some growth will result from small businesses that pay taxes under the personal income tax rates having more capital to reinvest. But a tax cut with a pre-determined expiration isn't going to do much to inrease long-run incentives. For the record, I think personal income tax rates are just fine where they are. I don't think further short-term cuts would lead to appreciable growth. I do think a tax hike big enough to make a significant impact on our budget deficits would be crippling.

I'm not sure if this addresses your point, because I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, but I think we put too much emphasis on tax policy as it relates to our economy overall. Sure, the power to tax is the power to destroy, & when taxes are high enough to create disincentives or comparative disadvantages (like our corporate rate) the can cause a lot of harm, but a few % points one way or the other in the margins doesn't make or break an economy.

Well that's good enough for me to vote you in Congress as a conservative re: tax negotiation. My basic point was just that I don't like the idea that any growth not occurring was a result only of the time limit. But ultimately the reason I feel that way is basically b/c I agree tax policy is over emphasized by some conservatives as to the economy and growth specifically.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic