A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your agenda? Do you think that Spiller will ever carry this team? How about other, better rbs such as Adrian Peterson? Those days are gone.

I have praised Spiller more often than not this season. He is playing well. But he will never carry this football team. If you disagree, please enlighten us.

Never mind.....I am thinking that you have oh so little to add.

It is pretty simple Bill. Spiller will never be able to carry this team on his back because Gailey will never allow it. Spiller is in the top 5 playmakers in the entire league. He had 6 rushes yesterday. Let that sink in for a second. He is averaging over 7 ypc which is the best a RB has done this late in the season since the 1960s they said on the GR this morning. This is insane, that Gailey would rather put the ball in the hands of our noodle arm loser of QB then Spiller. Spiller should play the entire game & Jackson should be in only when Spiller needs a rest. He needs to touch the ball 25-30 times a game imo. Why they keep platooning these guys is beyond me. Spiller is better period. Ah what's the point, another lost season & it is just half way over. I don't why you keep saying Spiller is small. He is 5'11 200 pnds right. My guess is that is average for a NFL RB.

Well...as long as Chan gets nine wins he can stay. Maybe he wants to run the last six games to get the big mo for the playoffs.

A serious thought though is it isn't Spiller carrying the team on his back, but Jackson, Spiller, Choice and even McIntyre can can. Chan might consider a two tight end offense and go to a time chewing running game to eat up clock and keep our defense off the field. Fitzpatrick can stop trying to be Jim Kelly and try to be more like Joe Ferguson. Move the chains, eat the clock and run the ball.

Bill from NYC's thoughts after the game are pretty solid. Bills44 your going a little too hard here with the criticism IMO. Read a different post if your gonna get this emotional, a lot of us enjoy the weekly "thoughts"

Only disagreement I can place here is the CJ thing as well. How can he carry the team when Chan is Fitz first and ignores running game

Or should I say just having fitz in the game kills running game because defenses laugh at buffs passing game 40 attempts 230 yards.......time for some changes. I guess the Aaron Williams change is forced he was GARBAGE again yesterday

Thumbs up to Mario and shepp both stepped up a little yesterday

Or should I say just having fitz in the game kills running game because defenses laugh at buffs passing game 40 attempts 230 yards.......time for some changes. I guess the Aaron Williams change is forced he was GARBAGE again yesterday

I watched Gaileys post game presser and the part I found interesting was when he said that the Texans did something that he did not expect, and he could not adapt to. When the Bills go into their 5 wide thing generally defenses replace one LB with a DB. This makes it easier for the run game to be successful and has helped Spiller in particular rip off some good gains. But the Texans kept the LB in. In Gaileys words, they did not respect our ability to throw the ball. This is why he said he had to pass instead of run, or even pass short effectively, from that formation.

I don't think much of Gailey as a coach, but I do respect the fact that when he !@#$s up, he admits it freely.

I just wish he wouldn't !@#$ up so much.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I watched Gaileys post game presser and the part I found interesting was when he said that the Texans did something that he did not expect, and he could not adapt to. When the Bills go into their 5 wide thing generally defenses replace one LB with a DB. This makes it easier for the run game to be successful and has helped Spiller in particular rip off some good gains. But the Texans kept the LB in. In Gaileys words, they did not respect our ability to throw the ball. This is why he said he had to pass instead of run, or even pass short effectively, from that formation.

I don't think much of Gailey as a coach, but I do respect the fact that when he !@#$s up, he admits it freely.

Kind of an amazing admission given that it is widely known Phillips likes to stick in his base defensive personnel.

As far as the passing game and Spiller, the Bills got 40% of their passing game out of the backfield (Jackson and Spiller) and those two accounted for the majority of the offensive touches between them. What was really lacking by comparison was the 3 wide outs, who had only 1 more completion than the RBs in the passing game. The Texans were right not to fear the Bills 3 wides -- the Bills don't have enough weapons in the passing game to make anyone worry. TJ Graham was a decoy at best and after him there was no production at all between Martin and Smith in either phase.

Kind of an amazing admission given that it is widely known Phillips likes to stick in his base defensive personnel.

As far as the passing game and Spiller, the Bills got 40% of their passing game out of the backfield (Jackson and Spiller) and those to accounted for the majority of the offensive touches between them. What was really lacking by comparison was the 3 wide outs, who had only 1 more completion than the RBs in the passing game. The Texans were right not to fear the Bills 3 wides -- the Bills don't have enough weapons in the passing game to make anyone worry. TJ Graham was a decoy at best and after him there was no production at all between Martin and Smith in either phase.

We have a college Coach who is trying the same gameplan from Georgia Tech days.

Yesterday was the perfect time to play smashmouth football. Line em up 2 TE's Fullback and run the ball right at them.

Their strenght vs ours. May the best team win. I think the Bills would have given them a better game if the would have keep the Defense off the field.

Not using your main weapon (C.J) is just dumb. Look at what Martin did for Tampa Bay in Oakland. He he is smaller than C.J.

Sometimes I wonder if Chan is not watching what CJ is doing out there.

Edited by Bufcomments

We have a college Coach who is trying the same gameplan from Georgia Tech days.

Yesterday was the perfect time to play smashmouth football. Line em up 2 TE's Fullback and run the ball right at them.

Their strenght vs ours. May the best team win. I think the Bills would have given them a better game if the would have keep the Defense off the field.

Not using your main weapon (C.J) is just dumb. Look at what Martin did for Tampa Bay in Oakland. He he is smaller than C.J.

Sometimes I wonder if Chan is not watching what CJ is doing out there.

When is the last time you heard an NFL coach say he couldn't run the ball against seven in the box?

This is the worst argument. The guy just shelled out 50M guaranteed money to a Defensive playmaker. How does that not cut into his profit especially with the way this defense has been playing. I don't see Polian and/or Phillips coming back to Buffalo for what it was in the past. They have moved on and had a good career. It is up to Nix/Whaley to find the right solution and it starts with a HC who will make EVERYONE accountable and responsible. At this point Gailey has no accountability including his own actions as the OC.

Yea I'm just frustrated by the poor play, the stupid calls, and the overall losing mentality of this years team.

If this team continues to lose games neither gailey or nix should be retained after this year IMO, yet both probably will be. That means I can't even look forward to the draft or next season, even if they draft a rookie QB this staff will ruin him.

That said, It makes me wonder if he would even make a decent OC at this point! Perhaps there was a good reason he was fired by Tod Haley as the Chiefs OC two weeks before the season started in 08

Gailey looks to get Spiller and Jackson a combined 30-40 touches In reference to C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson, Buffalo Bills head coach Chan Gailey said "If we can let them touch it between 30 and 40 times a game, I think that's pretty good for us."

Which doesn't necessarily mean 20 runs apiece, but both players only touched the ball 22 times, 6 runs, 5 receptions. So they went in with a plan... but only managed about 1/2 the touches they wanted. Granted the Texans were in an 8 man front, but exactly why does that stop the RB's from getting more passes in screens ect.. Stevie Johnson only caught 3 passes out of the 38 balls Fitz threw.

Spiller should be getting 20-25 touches a game no question about it, best play maker on the team and he saw the ball only 11 times

Spiller is the real deal. I am sorry Bill i disagree with you here. He is the ONLY play maker the Bills have. By that i mean a guy that when he touches the ball he can take it to the house.

As far as the Williams injury, i am right there with you Bill. I do not want him to be hurt, but it seems that is the only way they will stop playing him. I actually found myself thinking "well if you had turned your head and picked the ball of or at least deflecting it then you wouldn't have gotten hurt". Guy is a second round pick and in the NFL and he has no clue how to play DB...none.

Gailey had absolutely no balls yesterday. You are 3-4 on the road go for it on that 4 and less then one inside the 10!!! Your team needed a spark, Gailey layed up. pathetic. Then right before half it was like watching Jauron manage the clock. With 9 seconds left you take a shot at the endzone and then try the field goal. Horrible coaching.

None of the players have confidence in the coaches. That is my take. And the coaches have very little confidence in the players. This is a recipe for a very bad second half. But knowing the Bills they will eek out another 3-4 wins. Save Gaileys job for another year and put the Bills just out of the race for drafting one of the top Qb's.

every week I hear fitz on wgr monday.....and everyweek he says boy that defense was good...

season over..........bumbling stumbling no rumbling (chan scared to run)

stick a fork in em......knew before the season started we were doomed as long as Fitz was involved.

No offense, but no how no way do you pin this loss on Fitz. He had one of his fairly rare "on" games. He put the ball where it needed to be despite getting hit nearly every time he threw it.

This loss sits squarely on the shoulders of one Chan Gailey with a continued (dis)honorable mention to Wanny.

I agree with those that say this one is on the coaching staff. Wannstedt should be gone and Gailey is appearing more and more clueless. Time to blow it up again and start fresh. Can't get much worse than they are now anyway, so why not.

1) Dareus is breaking my heart. He is. He had a play or 2 today, but overall he was rather pedestrian. It can go either way. He can shake the sophmore blues, or he can be a defensive Mike Williams. Our history doesn't paint a pretty picture and it really does suck. I had very high hopes for this kid.

2) Let's talk about Gilmore, shall we? I for one think that he sucked today. Sure, he made a play or 2. And yes I know, he was trying to cover a great receiver. I get it. But so far, he is just another under-achieving, wasted pick on a defensive back. He will probably wind up being better overall than Whitner. Is everybody happy? I am an inch away from calling him a complete waste of a pick.

3) Spiller made an off the charts move on the screen pass early in the 2nd quarter. Seriously. He isn't ready to carry the team. He never will be. But he really has talent.

4) Someone help me out.....why call a wildcat AFTER a timeout? Isn't the purpose of a wildcat play to confuse your opponent? And, wtf was the point of a wildcat to Spiller? Brad Smith wasn't doing so bad, was he?

5) OK....this is f----d up......When Aaron Williams got hurt, I found myself to be in the situation of Chief fans when Cassel went down. Here is the end result.....I didn't want the kid to be seriously injured. Not even a bit. But I was actually glad to see him out of the game. He is one of the worst players that I have ever had the displeasure to watch. He completely sucks, and does not belong on an NFL roster. McKelvin? Rogers? They suck too in terms of playng corner, but AW is worse. You tell me.....did I take the high road?

6) I watched Cordy Glenn as much as I could for the entire game. Mixed reviews. In our first series of downs, he actually held off his opponent by extending his left arm. This would seem impossible. But overall, he had a not so great day. I understand this; he was playing against a great Wade Phillps defense, and he is a rookie. But his showing today overall was not good. Sorry.

7) Did you see Kelsay in pass coverage midway in the 3rd quarter? Wanny won't stop this insanity. He just won't, and he should be fired tonight.

8) Broken heart don't feel so bad,

You ain't got half of what you thought you had.

Rock your baby to and fro,

Not too fast and not too slow,

And I say row, Jimmy, row

Gonna get there, I don't know

Seems a common, way to go

Get down and row, row, row, row, row

9) You want to know what this team needs? It needs two people. Bill Polian and Wade Phillips. It wouldn't matter is Ralph was 194 years old. Polian could build a winner. And Wade is a defensive genius. There is no disputing this imo.

10) Fitz wasn't so bad today. Levitre and Wood didn't play so well, nor did Urbik. And he still made some nice throws. This is not a call for him to lead us to the promised land. But to be fair, he did all he could.

11) The defense got fooled by the play action left time after time. There is no excuse fior this. Wanny should have been fired weeks ago, but tonight would be ok too.

12) Hang in there folks. There is nothing good in sight, but we are who we are, and we will not abandon this team. We can't.

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good post. :thumbsup: I appreciate your taking the time to write it. Below are a few of my thoughts about your thoughts.

1) There were some here who had wanted us to draft AJ Green rather than Dareus. Green seems determined to prove those fans right. So does Dareus.

2) Gilmore is a better player than you're giving him credit for. He is not Donte Whitner. A number of draft guides didn't even have Whitner going in the first round. Vic Carucci didn't have Whitner rated as a first round talent. By contrast, I can't recall seeing any mock draft in which Gilmore fell to 16th or later, or any credible analyst who felt he wasn't a top-15 talent.

3) I agree with you that Spiller has talent. Out of curiosity, I looked up Thurman Thomas and O.J. Simpson. Thurman Thomas has never averaged more than 4.9 yards a carry in a season. O.J. Simpson once averaged 6.0 yards a carry in a season; and had another season in which he averaged 5.5 yards a carry. Thus far this season, Spiller is averaging 7.2 yards per carry. Granted, a lot of the credit for that goes to the offensive line. But both Simpson and Thomas played behind some good OLs too.

6) I suspect Glenn was playing hurt.

9) I know this may sound like heresy, but I have serious concerns about rehiring Bill Polian. Partly that's due to age: his mind may not be as sharp as it was back in the early '90s when he built the Bills into a special team. His fire and passion may have dimmed. He may have lost his edge. But the single most important reason the Bills shouldn't hire Bill Polian is because of his son, Chris Polian. Chris was given increasingly important roles in the Colts organization. Others in that organization left or were fired due to personality clashes with Chris. Chris has done nothing to deserve to be in the NFL, except get lucky enough to have the right family connections. Due in large part to Chris's destructive influence, the Colts had added very little young talent over the preceding years. Manning helped mask that lack of new, young talent. Once Manning went down with an injury, the Colts were exposed for what they were: a Hall of Fame QB surrounded by a 1-15 supporting cast. Chris Polian was the architect of that 1-15 supporting cast; and we do not want his brand of architecture coming to Buffalo! :angry:

That said, I agree that Wade Phillips would be an infinitely better defensive coordinator than Wannstedt.