Early Voting, did you do it? How long did you wait?

boyst

I waited 1 hour at the early voting location in my county. I stood next to a very goofy registered democrat and we would make guesses who people voted for based on stereotypes and the way they looked/vehicles driven. The line, according to workers, has not been much below a 45 minute wait since early voted started.

I was amazed at the groups early voting this time. There were far more black people voting this time, far more people who I would not have guessed voted. Judging by my guesses and speaking to people most were voting Democrat, and that makes me tend to believe Obama's campaign saying Romney needs 65% on Tuesday to get NC. Huffington Post and others say that Romney still leads. However, I have my doubts on if he can pull it off. We are a mostly red county, with an aging blue collar back bone.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/results/states/president/north-carolina.html

I waited 1 hour at the early voting location in my county. I stood next to a very goofy registered democrat and we would make guesses who people voted for based on stereotypes and the way they looked/vehicles driven. The line, according to workers, has not been much below a 45 minute wait since early voted started.

I was amazed at the groups early voting this time. There were far more black people voting this time, far more people who I would not have guessed voted. Judging by my guesses and speaking to people most were voting Democrat, and that makes me tend to believe Obama's campaign saying Romney needs 65% on Tuesday to get NC. Huffington Post and others say that Romney still leads. However, I have my doubts on if he can pull it off. We are a mostly red county, with an aging blue collar back bone.

http://elections.nyt...h-carolina.html

Ha!!!! love the intro, but then you blow it by giving your agenda....

But I'll play....

Yeah, I voted last Sat, and here in MD I was surprised how many people were talking about how they were voting for Romney, and couldn't stand PBO anymore... Over 200 people in line that day, and only one told me he was voting Obama... Guess by that, we now know, Romney will win Maryland huh???

My girlfriend waited about a half hour today in Florida. Although she said rumors were that it was taking hours at other places...

Personally I just sent the damn thing in by mail. I like to sit with it and research some of the judges and agriculture spots and fill in as I read then it just seems easier to mail it right then and there. I know there's a much greater chance it somehow isn't counted, but so be it.

5 minutes, via absentee ballot. Like NewBills, I like being able to sit down and look up canidates info while filling in my ballot.

and that I would say, is a part of the people that post on PPP, that is disappointing...

You need that "quiet time" to make your decisions, but still come on here to tell others how to make theirs???

WTF???? over????

and that I would say, is a part of the people that post on PPP, that is disappointing...

You need that "quiet time" to make your decisions, but still come on here to tell others how to make theirs???

WTF???? over????

I'm operating under the assumption that he's talking about the multitude of candidates for various state and local offices and ballot initiatives, not the federal offices we debate here with frequency.

I'm operating under the assumption that he's talking about the multitude of candidates for various state and local offices and ballot initiatives, not the federal offices we debate here with frequency.

and so sorry, but if someone is going to waste my time about national politics, they sure as hell had better know about their own backyard too, and not have to study the night before the "test"....

Question: why would you decide to vote early?

Lots of reasons, provided you know how you plan to vote. You may be out of town, or have a crazy day at work scheduled on election day...or the more oft-promoted reason, so you can spend the day getting out the vote for your candidate. Personally, I'm an absentee ballot guy for all the reasons mentioned by others, but my polling spot is a neighbor's house, and I've never seen a line there...ever.

Ha!!!! love the intro, but then you blow it by giving your agenda....

But I'll play....

Yeah, I voted last Sat, and here in MD I was surprised how many people were talking about how they were voting for Romney, and couldn't stand PBO anymore... Over 200 people in line that day, and only one told me he was voting Obama... Guess by that, we now know, Romney will win Maryland huh???

I have no agenda. I did not reveal who I voted for...I am not someone who reads all the news, I am not someone who keeps in touch with every bit of info.

Edited by jboyst62

and so sorry, but if someone is going to waste my time about national politics, they sure as hell had better know about their own backyard too, and not have to study the night before the "test"....

Ya b/c soil and water conservation is something I follow daily developments for. And I'm well aware of every kook running for county judge.

Stop being a !@#$tard and list for us, in detail, the political positions of the at large candidates for school committee in your town, the position your fire commissioner candidates take on controlled off-season burning permits, and educational background of all candidates for water commissioner. Go.

Ya b/c soil and water conservation is something I follow daily developments for. And I'm well aware of every kook running for county judge.

I do.

I will admit nearly the same kind of issue. A woman was out there handing out info about herself on a Saturday afternoon with beautiful weather. If it means enough for her to be out there doing that I have to admit it means something to me, I voted for her...it also helped she was a self called libertarian and she was for keeping religion out of school.

I do.

I will admit nearly the same kind of issue. A woman was out there handing out info about herself on a Saturday afternoon with beautiful weather. If it means enough for her to be out there doing that I have to admit it means something to me, I voted for her...it also helped she was a self called libertarian and she was for keeping religion out of school.

I do.

Well I know you are a farmer in NC. I on the other hand live in a multi-story condo in Florida and have no private yard.

One of the guys I work with is going on business travel next week. He was supposed to leave Monday but was concerned that he would not have a chance to vote with this being a swing state (Virginia).

Virginia has one of the stricter early voting rules. You have to apply for an absentee ballot no later than 5PM the Tuesday before the election. The places that you can cast your early vote are quite limited

Coworker had the trip pushed back to Tuesday morning so that he could get up early and cast his vote for Mitt Romney

As far as your experience in NC, one of my friends lives in Elizabeth City. She told me about when she went to vote in the primary earlier this year. Election worker had the Democratic ballot in her hand ready and did her required "Republican or Democrat" question. My friend, another ardent Ron Paul supporter, said Republican. The poll worker looked like she sh*t her pants and everybody in the room stopped and to give my friend a dirty look. And yet, only the Berry Blue Kool-Aid® drinkers think Obama has a chance in NC.

Just like in Virginia. I can drive thru Virginia Beach and Chesapeake and see nothing but Romney/Ryan signs. Then take a (wrong) turn into P-Town, Badnewz, or parts of Norfolk and see nothing but blue Forward! signs

I do.

I'm very involved with my local government, writing many letters to the editor in our local paper and attending weekly school committee and town counsel meetings. I have an exceptional handle on local policy and budget issues, and I know a good deal about the positions of about 80% of my local candidates and the ins and outs of every single ballot initiative. There are, however, many minor offices where true campaigns are never waged, and not much information is readily available on the candidates. In these races, on the last day, I find out who the incumbent is, and vote against them.

I do.

I'd assume each candidate was doing the same, and you just had luck of the draw that she was at the same as you, not that it meant more to her than her opponent realistically.

Question for those debating the locals: how much time/info do you spend/seek before being willing to vote on an issue or office you were previously uneducated on? Do you skip ones you feel very uneducated on or just cast based on party, or some other system (such as the mentioned against the incumbent)?

I'd assume each candidate was doing the same, and you just had luck of the draw that she was at the same as you, not that it meant more to her than her opponent realistically.

Question for those debating the locals: how much time/info do you spend/seek before being willing to vote on an issue or office you were previously uneducated on? Do you skip ones you feel very uneducated on or just cast based on party, or some other system (such as the mentioned against the incumbent)?

Meh...honestly for most offices there's only a few things that interest me one way or the other. For instance I live at the beach...and I basically vote on parking issues for all local offices....little else matters to me.

Edited by TheNewBills

Yup. Although those are few and far between.

There is only one early voting location for my town. She and her husband were the only ones there....wait. one woman was there handing out info to a select few. I think if you lived in the city vs just county.

I know as much or more about local then state. Maybe just this election where I knew McCrory was running for gov I stopped paying attention. Plus I never vote against Troxler.