Like it or not Fitz will be starting next year.

Fitz is the best available and will be next year as well. When Buddy drafts a QB next year regardless of who it is, they will need time to develop. Who better to teach reading defenses and the nuances of the playbook other than Fitz? Don't get me wrong. A change has to be made but throwing any rookie developmental QB into a system like Gaileys will be setting them up for failure. Fitz would be a great coach to any young quarterback.

Fitz is the best available and will be next year as well. When Buddy drafts a QB next year regardless of who it is, they will need time to develop. Who better to teach reading defenses and the nuances of the playbook other than Fitz? Don't get me wrong. A change has to be made but throwing any rookie developmental QB into a system like Gaileys will be setting them up for failure. Fitz would be a great coach to any young quarterback.

In other eras, I'd agree with your premise. But I think it depends on who the QB is and where in the draft he's selected. If Nix somehow ends up taking one of the top two QBs in the draft, I think we can pencil that kid in immediately. And if it's Geno Smith especially, there won't be any problem to adapting to Gailey's scheme anyway. He can already read a defense as well as Fitz and can get us into the right plays just as often.

GO BILLS!!!

I wouldn't say Fitz is terribly good at reading defenses. I do agree that any veteren is helpful teaching a rookie the playbook they already know. I don't think most of us on this board know for sure that Gailey's system is so complicated beyond other NFL teams, that's just what we hear. I don't disagree that Fitz will most likely be the starter, but if it's the right guy, he can start right away. There's plenty of examples and more importantly several recent examples that might be considered the new trend.

Bill Belichick WOULD LOVE THIS!

As would every other coach we go against in 2013

I just don't see any of the top tier QBs coming out of the gate as starters in the NFL. I live in Oregon so end up watching a lot of college ball because of the Ducks. Geno seems the most promising but will most likely go 1st. After that you have Barkley and Wilson. Barkley has been flaky lately. After the USC Ducks game today I'll give my final verdict. Wilson doesn't make the reads and adjustments. Also I can't count how many times Ive seen him get his receivers laid out. He does however have decent arm strength and pose in the pocket.

I just don't see any of the top tier QBs coming out of the gate as starters in the NFL. I live in Oregon so end up watching a lot of college ball because of the Ducks. Geno seems the most promising but will most likely go 1st. After that you have Barkley and Wilson. Barkley has been flaky lately. After the USC Ducks game today I'll give my final verdict. Wilson doesn't make the reads and adjustments. Also I can't count how many times Ive seen him get his receivers laid out. He does however have decent arm strength and pose in the pocket.

I don't want a QB who likes to pose in the pocket. Sounds like Sanchez doing a GQ cover shot.

GO BILLS!!!

What is really bad about Fitz? He scores alot of points. Runs tough. Be nice.

I say this with love.

I like Fitz and he has been a great fill in QB--until, we figure out where to go.

But, his record as an NFL starter is atrocious!

He has issues throwing over 20 yards, unless its a 7 yard slant with YAC!

He gets most of his points in garbage time or in shoot-outs---where the Bills have lost a vast majority of while he is under center.

He rarely is a vocal leader on this team and I've never heard of him give an inspiring speech to his teammates after a loss--which have been ALOT while he has been under center!

All of his press conferences end with him being humble and talking about how he has to take each loss as a learning expierence--which is the majority of his press conferences every NFL week since 2009.

He is horrible at a 2 minute drill and folds under pressure of trying to win this game.

I really can go on...

Overall, to have him as our starter in 2013 is completely insane.

Edited by KollegeStudnet

When your HCs scheme means committing to a bum, and that HC has a horrible record, GET A NEW HC

Gailey would adapt the offense to fit the rookie.

Well, Nix sounds sold on Gailey in 2013, so why not keep the band back together and throw Fitz back out there again?

If Gailey finishes the season 5-11/6-10 and Fitz is back leading or near the top in INT's, why not? They're in the middle of a 5 year rebuild and maybe someday it'll all come together.

Ralph will demand a sacrifice and it'll probably be Wannstedt as the lamb anyway. They need continuity at HC and QB.

Great.. Fitz teaches another QB to be a QB. That's like a Farvre from supertroopers teaching a cop how to be a cop. Fitzmoney is terrible, always has. Yall loved the guy last year. I always said I hoped he proved me wrong, but guess what. Fitzmoney laid a big fat egg. His history says it all. He always been a backup and not very good. But for some reason the Bills front office always thinks the next great QB is here. I don't know what happens when they walk through the door at one bills drive. Any QB looks like the next big thing. They need to dump him ASAP. Start Jackson the rest of the year. He couldn't do worse.

I forgot that every other team has one

Well, let's set this straw-man on fire. List all the NFL teams that have a QB that has never had a winning season as a pro, are in a position to draft a franchise QB (hint: we're not talking a 7th rounder), and would then choose to sit their big man on campus to learn behind the incumbent.

Luck, Tannehill, Griffith, and Weeden were all handed the job. Newton, Gabbert, and Ponder were handed the job last year. Bradford was the day 1 starter the year before that. Stafford, Sanchez, and Freeman were day 1 starters the year before that. Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco the year before that. So, in the last 5 draft classes, there has been 1 exception to this. Jake Locker who sat behind Matt Hasselbeck who has an 80-71 record and QB'd a team to the Super Bowl.

So yeah, I'd say the preponderance of the evidence very decidedly indicates that most any NFL team in these cleats has no trouble figuring out how to get their rookie franchise guy on the field. This isn't the 1960s any longer, but what the heck, let's draft a RB.

... He has issues throwing over 20 yards, unless its a 7 yard slant with YAC! ...

Yeah, he has accuracy issues for sure. But there's a reason passes 20 yard or longer are considered low percentage plays. In your mind, what does a good long passer look like in terms of accuracy? What's an acceptable completion percentage?

GO BILLS!!!