JW speaks with Buddy

Interesting that Gailey is not a lame duck this year. Changing coaching staffs for the sake of change isn't the answer, but then isn't that what they did on defense? Wannstedt has been a major downgrade, in fact, from George Edwards. It doesn't really follow that he can have complete faith in Gailey, yet be critical of a series of Gailey's decisions which have impacted a defense producing horrific results (and coincidentally undermined most of the investment made in 3 draft classes).

True points but this stuff (firing of subordinates) happens all the time.

Buddy's made mistakes as had Chan.

I guess the moral of the story is that the higher up you are in an organization, the more mulligans you get.

Toss Wanny on the scrap heap and try again.

I just wish it happened two weeks ago. But on the "bright side," Wanny gets a chance to redeem himself. He gets to prove his critics wrong.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I posted in the OP, there's no signs that there was a press conference but now Mark Gaughan has published the same interview with the same quotes from Buddy so I'm not sure what's going on.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121103/SPORTS/121109764/1082

Here's two additional quotes from Gaughan's piece:

In fact, Nix indicated it has two more years to run beyond the 2012 season. “He’s got a year – or more,” Nix said.

“I think Chan is the best – he’s one of the best offensive coaches in the league,” Nix said. “We’re playing three phases of our team – two of them are playing well, and we have to get the other one up to par.”

Again it sounds like he's solidly backing Gailey and not giving the dreaded public "vote of confidence."

It also sounds like Wanny's on very thin ice and is coaching for his job.

It is clear Buddy Nix is enamored with Gailey and his ability to get a back up QB to play well enough to put up 34 points on the 30th defense in the NFL....I guess he missed the last minute of the game tho. I guess winning that game wasn't that important, 9 games to go right?

By Gailey sticking with wannstooge this long, he deserves to be fired! With Nix sticking with Gailey, he deserves to be fired. Gailey does have a good offensive mind, he just needs someone over him to adjust some of his views. Probably why he would make a better OC then HC.

Nice to get an endorsement from the boss after going 13-26 :doh: Unless this bye week magically transforms this team into a winner for the next 9 games ....I can only only hope that the owner wakes up from his coma and pulls the trigger.on this losing regime.

I'm glad the defense has been called-out. Many people on this board believed we would have had a top-10 defense based on the changes that were made, myself included. But it didn't work out that way. If it had, we likely would have lost only 1-2 games by this point, or even been undefeated.

Edited by kas23

Buddy is a good guy, but his days are numbered.

Explaining to this fan base, that the CONSISTENT LOSING will NOT be had if Chan and Nix get canned is ridiculous.

How many more drafts do we need to go through to realize...Buddy sucks at his job!?

How many more games do we have to lose to see Chan is NOT GOOD!?

So far, the Chix years have us at 2-13 vs. The AFC EAST

The Bills have 4 more games vs. the AFC EAST...Odds with having the 32 ranked defense in the NFL in 2012--they will lose these games!

Edited by KollegeStudnet

The bolded is another quote from Gaughan's piece which was very interesting.

"As far as his own future as general manager goes, the 72-year-old Nix said: “Here’s the deal with me. I came here to make sure this thing was turned around and on solid ground. And I’m not going anywhere till it is, unless the owner says I am, and he and I are the only two that can.”

Nix said 94-year-old owner Ralph Wilson still checks in with him by phone every morning, without fail."

I really Like Nix. He has for the most part been straight forward when talking about the team and his intentions. I think it would be a big mistake to let him go. As a GM he has put the pieces in place. They just aren’t being utilized by the coaching staff. Saying this I wonder why he hasn't made a move to get Wanny in check. As for his reassuring Fitz, this was the right thing to do. Fitz is the best option available. Most likely he will still be the best option available next year as well. I say stick with Gailey and Nix. This team is on the verge of being great.

He has been pass wacky. Now, he has Eli Manning and that makes a difference.

I was just about to make that comment. Killdrive would have been gone from the Giants too if Eli wasn't so damn good and his WRs were just coming out of no where every year.

He's completely gotten away from the game plan that worked so well there for a while and what helped them win their first SB against the Pats. Stout defense and run the damn ball to minimize the amount of time opposing offenses have the ball. Eli saves him and that's the only reason why.

I knew I read that it was a 4 year deal, but could never find the article again. IIRC the logic was, since he was hired in the year of the lockout and they knew they weren't going to have a full offseason, and werent sure if they were even going to have a season, they added the extra year.

He was a year before the lockout.

HC's in the final year of their deal do not attract top, let alone decent coordinators. Any NFL coach wants a little more security than 1 year given that they're career-minded people and a potentially 1 year stop in Buffalo isn't going to be a resume builder.

Nearly every single HC, OC, or DC in the past 7 seasons has been a retread. DJ, Fairchild, Schonert, Gailey, Modkins, Edwards, and now Wannstedt. The exception is Fewell, who has demonstrated success with the Giants.

The point is, the Bills can't find GM's, they can't attract good HC's, and those HC's they do hire typically don't hire good coordinators. Little wonder the rebuild Nix began has been even worse than the Marv/DJ/Brandon years.

Good point on lame duck head coaches, and their ability to get coordinators. Lets hope the Nix/Gailey regime is swept out of the house, hours after the last defeat in game 16. Time to find out if Whaley has any future as a GM.