JW speaks with Buddy

Man I hope he was just buttering Fitzy up so he feels better, bc if we don't get a REAL QB this draft Nix should be fired immediately.

Kevin Greene for DC.

Bad move for Kevin, why would take this gig

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad move for Kevin, why would take this gig

why wouldnt Kevin Greene take a promotion to a DC job? I know its Buffalo and all and I understand that...but from all indications he is not being looked at for a HC job, so why not take a promotion from outside LB job to take the reigns of his own defense (the next step on his path if he desires to be a HC, or even if he just wants to be a DC then he gets his shot) - there is talent in place in Buffalo to work with, and if he is successful and turns around a defense that has been bottom of the league for a few years now, that just boosts his resume even higher...

I understand "oh no its Buffalo"....but its still a promotion for him - so unless a better opp/team also was interested....I could see him going for it (Buffalo is very similar to Pittsburgh and Green bay, his two recent homes.....im talking city itself, not the organization haha)

Liked Greene as a player, he seems to be doing a good job with Green Bays LBs (they are pretty dam talented however) - would love to see how it would work out....at the very least, I cant imagine he would coach like a pu$$y like Wanny

Yes...get some heat on wanny or can him. At least buddy knows that Fitz is not the guy and plans to address it in the off-season

2 positives

The only problem with this is that he has been saying that they will get a franchise QB ever since he got here and all they have done is brought in Levi Jones, Vince Young and Tavaris Jackson. If he is serious about this then he will do what's necessary to get one like Washington did (a move that he criticized in his WGR interview).

As some of you know, Bills GM Buddy Nix has returned from a two week scouting trip.

As far as I can tell, he didn't have a press conference but he did (as many of you know) have an interview with WGR Radio and also with the BB's Chris Brown.

There's a separate thread about the WGR interview and some comments about the Chris Brown interview but Nix also interviewed with the AP's (and our own) John Wawrow.

The most interesting material came from the JW interview.

The four major points of JW's interview were:

1) Because of the WGR morning interview, Nix felt compelled to speak with Fitz after practice regarding his future in Buffalo:

"Aware that his comments on radio had raised speculation regarding Fitzpatrick's status, Nix approached the quarterback following practice to reassure him."

2) While Nix was very supportive of Chan Gailey, there was no support for Wanny and in fact there was tacit disapproval of the job Wanny has done:

In defending Fitzpatrick, Nix pinned the blame of the Bills troubles on the team's under-performing defense.

''Listen, you score 34 points, you're supposed to win the damn game,'' Nix said, referring to a 35-34 loss to Tennessee two weeks ago. ''I mean, how many do we have to score?''

3) Nix has no intention of stepping aside any time soon. In fact he sounds determined to stay on until he has built a solid foundation for his successor:

As for his own future, Nix said he has no intention of leaving Buffalo until the team's a winner or owner Ralph Wilson fires him.

''I came here to make sure this thing was turned around and on solid ground,'' said Nix, who's in his third year as GM. ''And I'm not going anywhere until it is, or unless the owner says I am. And he and I are the only two that can. How about that?''

4) Finally, the grand-daddy of the interview, the disclosure that Gailey IS NOT on a 3-year contract as had been widely and recently speculated about on this forum:

"Hired by Nix in 2010, Gailey has a 13-26 record in Buffalo. Nix also revealed that Gailey has at least one more year left on his contract, something the team had previously refused to discuss."

There's more good stuff too:

http://sports.yahoo....09749--nfl.html

OK, First off thanks to you and JW. 2 things:

1. What is troubling for the short term is that Waaanny is still talking about not blitzing, not changing and getting pressure from the front 4. Hey I bill-ieve in the theory (somewhat) too, but if it ain't working Waaanny, what/when is this thing gonna change.

2. Would have LOVED if someone would have asked a follow up to Buddy along the lines of......"So with the play of Fitz since he signed the new contract and the statement you just made, would you say you and the organization made a huge mistake in giving Fitz such a large contract?"

I have always appreciated the Buddy and Chan being forthright but they are the one's that built this thing (....or didn't).

My .02

This might be the best discussed topic of recent; thank you guys for doing a great job posting, erryone of you!

I am happy to see these answers are coming out there, I would be more worried by what could be smoke and mirrors by this team that we have seen in the past. I think everyone in the NFL fan base knows whats going on in Buffalo and I am proud that we have a team and fans that support it. I am unimpressed by a defense with more issues then Lindsay Lohan. Our players are having problems understanding their roles and I do not believe for a second that it is what everyone says it is flat out - it's coaching. Our players have also had a lot of problems committing their roles and executing them with proper fundamentals.

HC's in the final year of their deal do not attract top, let alone decent coordinators. Any NFL coach wants a little more security than 1 year given that they're career-minded people and a potentially 1 year stop in Buffalo isn't going to be a resume builder.

Nearly every single HC, OC, or DC in the past 7 seasons has been a retread. DJ, Fairchild, Schonert, Gailey, Modkins, Edwards, and now Wannstedt. The exception is Fewell, who has demonstrated success with the Giants.

The point is, the Bills can't find GM's, they can't attract good HC's, and those HC's they do hire typically don't hire good coordinators. Little wonder the rebuild Nix began has been even worse than the Marv/DJ/Brandon years.

So after we give up another 70+ points over the next 2 games, will that be enough to fire Wanny? I mean really?! - what is it going to take? The guys sucks in epic proportions.

No idea, a change should have been made during the bye. Now we fans will need to endure more games with Mr no blitz as DC. Perhaps they want to break more records for being the worst ever defense.

Almost as unbelievable as it appears, Nix is married to Gailey... Gailey is married to Fitz ...Gailey also appears to be joined at the waist to Wannstedt :doh:

Now, the problem I have with Gailey & Fitz is that final series against the Titans (Tenn 30th in defense) where they had a 1:03 on the clock and 60 yards to go and the team went right into a complete inept state. The QB didn't know what to do, the OC / HC didn't know what to do and this is a huge reason why this regime is such a loser.

Chan Gailey might be very good at setting up an offense to score a bunch of points during a game, but WTF good is it if the team can't close it with a win. Fitz clearly doesn't know how to properly run a 2min drill, and as it appeared in the Titans game neither do his teammates. Nor does the play caller who called nothing but 4 straight passes to underneath players not even near the sideline. Its almost like they wanted to lose.

Man o man, another full year of this BS losing. Looking forward to 2014 for some change :bag: unless of course something else happens, I'll never wish for that. Not ever!

Cheers :beer:

In his second draft, he took a DT at #3, one who, imo, will be a good player. He was last year. And to his credit, he STOLE an OT (Hairston) in round 4. But, Buddy didn't want Mallett or Dalton in rounds 2 and 3.. He wanted a corner who sucks, and a very questionable MLB. In this draft, Buddy had an extra 7th, and an extra 4th, which btw he used on Hairston (25th selection of round 4). With the 3rd pick of round 4, Buddy took Searcy. In all, not a great draft when you pick 3rd.

It's easy to go back and present the "what if" argument. But I'm still going to do it. Buddy Nix let an opportunity slip by to draft a franchise qb when it was presented to him. Dalton was the pick that would have allowed this franchise to obtain a credible qb to build around and allowed Nix to then address the many other needs.

You definetely are more enamored with Mallett than I am because of his cannon arm. But what I see in Dalton is a qb who has the assets of Fitz with the added abilities of being a more accurate passer with a stronger arm. By not seizing the opportunity to draft a credible franchise qb Nix set this franchise back by at least two or three years .Even with the addition of a quality prospect in the next draft there is another two or three year developmental stage that a young qb has to go through.

Buddy made the judgment that Fitz was an adequate enough qb to buy him time to bolster the roster before addressing the long term franchise qb issue. He was dead wrong! Looking back his selection of a CB, Aaron Williams, was a disasterous decision. There is no doubt in my mind that at this time if he would have made the right decision Dalton would be our starting qb.

The bottom line is that this is a failed franchise because of the people who are running the operation. Bad decisions piled on bad decisions keep this franchise stuck in the mud. How many years are we going to get to the half way point of a season and then focus on the next draft? It gets tiresome.

HC's in the final year of their deal do not attract top, let alone decent coordinators. Any NFL coach wants a little more security than 1 year given that they're career-minded people and a potentially 1 year stop in Buffalo isn't going to be a resume builder.

Nearly every single HC, OC, or DC in the past 7 seasons has been a retread. DJ, Fairchild, Schonert, Gailey, Modkins, Edwards, and now Wannstedt. The exception is Fewell, who has demonstrated success with the Giants.

The point is, the Bills can't find GM's, they can't attract good HC's, and those HC's they do hire typically don't hire good coordinators. Little wonder the rebuild Nix began has been even worse than the Marv/DJ/Brandon years.

I agree with everything you said and add that it takes a combination of the right chemistry, coordination and theme to create a successful organization. I cite Gilbride in NYG as proof of this. His time in Buffalo was criticized by many for being too conservative, but his coordination did not match what the defense had to do to provide wins and was not aligned with talent brought in - all the RB's. Gilbride would do wonders with Fitz.

why wouldnt Kevin Greene take a promotion to a DC job? I know its Buffalo and all and I understand that...but from all indications he is not being looked at for a HC job, so why not take a promotion from outside LB job to take the reigns of his own defense (the next step on his path if he desires to be a HC, or even if he just wants to be a DC then he gets his shot) - there is talent in place in Buffalo to work with, and if he is successful and turns around a defense that has been bottom of the league for a few years now, that just boosts his resume even higher...

I understand "oh no its Buffalo"....but its still a promotion for him - so unless a better opp/team also was interested....I could see him going for it (Buffalo is very similar to Pittsburgh and Green bay, his two recent homes.....im talking city itself, not the organization haha)

Liked Greene as a player, he seems to be doing a good job with Green Bays LBs (they are pretty dam talented however) - would love to see how it would work out....at the very least, I cant imagine he would coach like a pu$$y like Wanny

Maybe the guy has family, knowing bills relo situation would leave a winner for the bills

I agree with everything you said and add that it takes a combination of the right chemistry, coordination and theme to create a successful organization. I cite Gilbride in NYG as proof of this. His time in Buffalo was criticized by many for being too conservative, but his coordination did not match what the defense had to do to provide wins and was not aligned with talent brought in - all the RB's. Gilbride would do wonders with Fitz.

Didn't gilbride coordinate the season where we didn't run the ball in "and 1" downs until like November?

Generally agree with the point still, even if not the example

Edited by NoSaint

Ran is ass out of town. Tom clements too.

Agreed, but let's face it, not even Jim Kelly could win with this defense. Fitz has not been great but he is good enough.

Still misses the key throws, no gonna beat brady or manning types

Didn't gilbride coordinate the season where we didn't run the ball in "and 1" downs until like November?

Yes, that was him. The example might be off, it was just a long time ago, but his moniker - Killdrive still is proof of what he did here. Coaches try to outsmart the other coach and out play the formula for success. "HA, it's 3rd and 1/2 yard, they'll never expect me to pass it here!" Killdrive and Bledsoe did not mesh well, and we never should have got Bledsoe in the past. He was one of only a few QB's I have ever spoken out against in Bills history.

Wasn't Gilbride the OC of the Oilers for the famous Bills comeback game? He insisted on passing with a big lead, and that let the Bills get back into the game. Another pass wacky coach.

i find it hard to believe that gailey is going to be here next year, UNLESS this team hovers around .500 for the remainder of the season, and plays like they did against kansas city and cleveland 4 or 5 more times in these last 9 games. ive said it before, and ill say it again. i think marty ball is coming to buffalo in 2013.

with that said, there are 2 scenarios here: either

a) gailey has lost the team, and the players have tuned him out

or

b) gailey has not lost the team, and the players have not tuned him out

if it is scenario a, it would be clear as day to anyone who stepped foot on the sideline, in the locker room, or watched 5 minutes of practice. exit interviews at the end of the season with guys like jackson, scott, and barnett would reveal that to be the case, and nix would can gailey. IN THAT SCENARIO, if he suspects that to be the case already, what could possibly be gained by announcing that RIGHT NOW? The entire roster would know theyre playing for a lame duck coach, the season would be over, and our 3-4 bills, who sit 1 game back from the playoffs, would be done for the year, despite still having how many home games that need to be sold out? Just a terrible decision all around, and one that no manager on this side of michael scott would ever make.

in scenario b, if these guys still like him, its the elephant in the room-ryan fitzpatrick and dave wannstedt are costing us games.

now, theres a lot of bills fans that i wish nix could fire, but if we start next season with gailey, a new qb, and a new defensive coordinator? then yes, i will be extremely optimistic. i know thats "illegal," and considered "drinking the kool aid," but christ almighty is there talent on this roster. and in our garbage division, if you think we are that far away from not only making the playoffs, but hosting a playoff game, idk what to tell you. brady isnt getting any younger, the jets arent going anywhere, and if you think miami is a juggernaut in the making, i recomend you get nfl sunday ticket and watch a game of theirs - they suck.

the future is bright in buffalo, of this i am sure.

a very good post. I had hope that Ryan just needed a little more time with a healthy O line, a receiver who run fast as hell and catch and a coach up. well we got what we got. Since Chan moved smartly to a running game and splitting up reps between our two awesome RB's i think we should be winning.

Wannstadt had familiarity with the team, probably said the right things to Nix and Gailey etc. Was the right choice at the time. Majority would agree with me i bet.

Wannstadt lost the defense early and is trying to get them back.

Draft the QB. Buddy said he would trade up now because many holes were filled over the last two years or so. True.

Get a defensive coordinator that fits the players and plays a 4-3 mostly. but can run hybrids just as well.

Two critical areas in my mind. Buddy hears us.

So f'n glad he called out Dave publicly.

Yep, i'ma Nix fan.

Interesting that Gailey is not a lame duck this year. Changing coaching staffs for the sake of change isn't the answer, but then isn't that what they did on defense? Wannstedt has been a major downgrade, in fact, from George Edwards. It doesn't really follow that he can have complete faith in Gailey, yet be critical of a series of Gailey's decisions which have impacted a defense producing horrific results (and coincidentally undermined most of the investment made in 3 draft classes).

Wow - the gailey deal is a big bombshell. I thought that was a known 3 years

I knew I read that it was a 4 year deal, but could never find the article again. IIRC the logic was, since he was hired in the year of the lockout and they knew they weren't going to have a full offseason, and werent sure if they were even going to have a season, they added the extra year.