October jobless rate ticks up to 7.9%

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the same article:

Reagan had an advantage over Obama: The recession of the early 1980s was caused by runaway inflation, which the Federal Reserve countered by hiking interest rates. When inflation dropped, the Fed lowered rates and a massive economic boom resulted.

The major causes of the recent recession were a banking crisis and housing bubble that exploded during President George W. Bush's final months in office.

Another difference: With comparatively small debt loads, Reagan was able to push through a 23% across-the-board cut of individual income tax rates. Obama, meanwhile, entered the presidency with substantial budget deficits and an economy contracting at a rate of 6.7%.

Ah the old "but it's different this time" line.

It's more than a line when you show the explanation. You can call it a line though if that makes it easier for you to dismiss. It is true though.

My point is I'm tired of this "leadership" pointing to the past as to why things are not where they feel they should be. Aren't you even the slightest bit tired of that? I know I sure as hell am.

My point is I'm tired of this "leadership" pointing to the past as to why things are not where they feel they should be. Aren't you even the slightest bit tired of that? I know I sure as hell am.

It's a valid point. I just don't think Romney or another Republican could have done any better. As unbelievable as it sounds to you, I support the way this administration has handled it. The current economic climate sucks, but it was a couple generations in the making. We'll dig out of it, but it will take a while.

It's a valid point. I just don't think Romney or another Republican could have done any better. As unbelievable as it sounds to you, I support the way this administration has handled it. The current economic climate sucks, but it was a couple generations in the making. We'll dig out of it, but it will take a while.

Anyone could have led the country to where we are now. If your position is "well, the other guy probably wouldn't have done any better..."

Anyone could have led the country to where we are now. If your position is "well, the other guy probably wouldn't have done any better..."

Christ, nitpick much? I'll rephrase it: I believe that the Republicans would have done worse. I thought that was implied by my saying I supported Obama's administration, but I guess there was still room for you to twist my meaning. I'm sorry for being less than perfectly precise.

Christ, nitpick much? I'll rephrase it: I believe that the Republicans would have done worse. I thought that was implied by my saying I supported Obama's administration, but I guess there was still room for you to twist my meaning. I'm sorry for being less than perfectly precise.

Worse? LOL! Okay gringo.

I have no idea whether Romney would have done better but I have a feeling he would not be blaming the past leaders. Almost every good manager I had took full responsibility. Blaming others is just very poor form and gets old real quick and not sure I can take another four years of it.

I just don't think Romney or another Republican could have done any better.

ANYONE could have done better if they simply didn't spend the first year pounding ACA down our throats. Anyone.

ANYONE could have done better if they simply MET with a jobs council instead of just creating one and then doing nothing with it.

ANYONE could have done better if they took over $800 billion dollars and DIDN'T use it to launder cash to campaign bundlers and financially unstable solar panel makers.

So no...I think the idea that no one could have done better is a fallacy.

From the same article:

Reagan had an advantage over Obama: The recession of the early 1980s was caused by runaway inflation, which the Federal Reserve countered by hiking interest rates. When inflation dropped, the Fed lowered rates and a massive economic boom resulted.

But there is no inflation. Just ask Ben Bernanke, a Bush apointee (re-appointed by Obama, but that fact is just a nuisance)

What made you chose just the last 118 months?

Consists of the entirety of Bush's and Obama's term. Plus, I think the job market is different than it was 20-30 years ago. We'll rarely see those types of gains that were made back then.