How The Other Half Lives

I heard he had a 2.6 GPA at Columbia. Which explains a lot

So Romney must be compliant with the law Obama signed, why is this an issue?

Its doesn't go into effect until 2014- but you implied he did nothing, just stating the legislation that was passed.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't find definitively what is considering legal or illegal for tax evasion in off shore entities. Most of what I can find says it is illegal for us taxpayers to use off shore accounts to evade taxes (but I can't find an IRS statute, and who knows how trustworthy some sites are)- but it goes into establishing a foreign company and renoucing citizenship... I will do some more reasearch, but I am pretty sure I am correct on this one...

If you invest in entities that are held in the Cayman Islands is not illegal if you report it.

Effectively Romney reported those investments so he did not break any laws.

Its doesn't go into effect until 2014- but you implied he did nothing, just stating the legislation that was passed.

And others(including the POTUS) have implied that Romney is breaking the law (which he is not) by investing in the Cayman, which is worse?

I can tell you one thing Chef, I may be a novice in Tax law of the IRS, but I am really, really good at drinking Rum....

Thinking about trying to make my own Bourbon.. doesn't seem to hard, but I am sure I will make it difficult.. lol

Tell ya what, you bring the rum (let's start with a good aged Pyrat not any homemade brew yet) I'll make the fritters and I'll tell you all you need to know about tax laws.

That would make the invention of a the ACA even more incredible. Think of the opportunities the ACA presents your country. It's limitless! Truly exciting times.

Yes, Bawanna. Companies dropping their group coverage plans for their employees and paying a fine to the government - because it's cheaper for them. A new 2.3% excise tax on medical equipment manufacturers, 2.9 - 3.8% tax when you see a house or any other asset. And, as an extra bonus for those who are currently 53 or younger - Medicare will not be available to them - ever.

These are golden times indeed.

Power to the powerful!

And others(including the POTUS) have implied that Romney is breaking the law (which he is not) by investing in the Cayman, which is worse?

I don't recall Obama ever saying Romney did anything illegal. He just tried to make the case that a big chunk of Romney's money was not where his mouth is, namely "U.S. investment and job creation."

Yes, Bawanna. Companies dropping their group coverage plans for their employees and paying a fine to the government - because it's cheaper for them. A new 2.3% excise tax on medical equipment manufacturers, 2.9 - 3.8% tax when you see a house or any other asset. And, as an extra bonus for those who are currently 53 or younger - Medicare will not be available to them - ever.

These are golden times indeed.

Power to the powerful!

A doctor I work with said that his employer (St. Mary's Hospital in Waterbury) will take the $96 (yes, $96!)/year tax/penalty instead of providing the $15K for his health insurance. Expect everyone else to do the same and not reimburse the costs of the premiums. And good luck finding a doctor when a chunk retire early and fewer enter the profession.

A doctor I work with said that his employer (St. Mary's Hospital in Waterbury) will take the $96 (yes, $96!)/year tax/penalty instead of providing the $15K for his health insurance. Expect everyone else to do the same and not reimburse the costs of the premiums. And good luck finding a doctor when a chunk retire early and fewer enter the profession.

I can't speak to your numbers on the penalty cost..... but I have three very good friends who are hospital administrators. Two in PA and one in FL. I've spoken to all of them and they scoff/laugh at the thought of continuing to pay for employee premiums. Hospitals have razor thin margins....the government is handing them (at the expense of our national debt) a monstrous windfall......along with every other employer with any insight.

Doctor flight is a real consideration as well. I'm very concerned about all of this.

I can't speak to your numbers on the penalty cost..... but I have three very good friends who are hospital administrators. Two in PA and one in FL. I've spoken to all of them and they scoff/laugh at the thought of continuing to pay for employee premiums. Hospitals have razor thin margins....the government is handing them (at the expense of our national debt) a monstrous windfall......along with every other employer with any insight.

Doctor flight is a real consideration as well. I'm very concerned about all of this.

The doctors will accept their premiums not being paid when the same happens for the adminstrators.

Its hard to believe we have not heard one iota of anyting from or about George Bush in this election.... to think 1/2 of our politcial system cannot even cite 2000-2008 or the man who held that office is sad. I am not saying everything was Bush's fault as other contend, but it certainly does not set a good stage for Romney and what his leadership would look like....

I am also sad for a country where people live here and enjoy the fruits, but feel they are priviledged so they can hide money and play games... that doesn't seems patriotic to me, that sounds like low grade treason.

I feel sad that in a "free" country, citizens have to hide money to keep it. If tax rates were reasonable there would be less incentive to seek tax shelters

Edited by Dante

Why should Bush have to pay taxes to help cover the expense of the war he got us into? Or to pay for the prescription drug benefits he signed into law, or to cover the deficits he created with the tax cuts he signe into law ?

Why should he have to pay his fair share?

And where did you get this inside info that he is in fact not paying his fair share?

Why should Bush have to pay taxes to help cover the expense of the war he got us into? Or to pay for the prescription drug benefits he signed into law, or to cover the deficits he created with the tax cuts he signe into law ?

Why should he have to pay his fair share?

Why are you so jealous of the success of others?  If you spent half the effot you use deriding others for their ingenuity, business acumen, hard work, and wise investment on being dynamic, business savvy, working hard, and investing well yourself, you might not be so miserable when contemplating the good fortune of others.

This entire thread has devolved into a discussion only Karl Marx would be proud of, and all the libs will deny tomorrow....

"From each, according to his ability, to each, according to his need"

But the country was founded on individual liberty, right??? Yet we've descended into a society that is not only willing, but demanding, to take the fruits of labor from one individual, and give it to another, with no recompense other than the mantra, it's your fair share??? Willing to deny someone his or her liberty in the name of "fairness"???

What is the cut off?? What is the rate you will be happy with that determines what exactly a "fair share" is that you take from another, BY FORCE????

A55holes do vex me.....

B Large... if you make that rum, you are violating tax laws...

Ducky!!! An imbecile investor!!! What as it Barnum said???

My grandfather was a really small time farmer, and spent time in prison for shining to make money to make it through the Depression... My dad, worked his fingers to the bone, double shifts when he could, in the steel mills for a whole 8-10 bucks an hour. He died when I was still a teenager, but his work ethic was passed down t each of his sons. 4 of the 6 of us, have been to the Grand Caymans, and the other 2, myself included, could go, but have no desire... In fact, one, is flying out again in the morning...

Silver spoon??? Ha!!!! Aircraft mech, teacher, IT, manufacturing machine mech, truck driver, and disabled.... Nothing special, but knowing, and wanting to excel at work, and careful money management...

Maybe we should title this... "It's what you do with your life, not what life you take from others"...

Edited by Cinga

This entire thread has devolved into a discussion only Karl Marx would be proud of, and all the libs will deny tomorrow....

"From each, according to his ability, to each, according to his need"

But the country was founded on individual liberty, right??? Yet we've descended into a society that is not only willing, but demanding, to take the fruits of labor from one individual, and give it to another, with no recompense other than the mantra, it's your fair share??? Willing to deny someone his or her liberty in the name of "fairness"???

What is the cut off?? What is the rate you will be happy with that determines what exactly a "fair share" is that you take from another, BY FORCE????

A55holes do vex me.....

B Large... if you make that rum, you are violating tax laws...

Ducky!!! An imbecile investor!!! What as it Barnum said???

My grandfather was a really small time farmer, and spent time in prison for shining to make money to make it through the Depression... My dad, worked his fingers to the bone, double shifts when he could, in the steel mills for a whole 8-10 bucks an hour. He died when I was still a teenager, but his work ethic was passed down t each of his sons. 4 of the 6 of us, have been to the Grand Caymans, and the other 2, myself included, could go, but have no desire... In fact, one, is flying out again in the morning...

Silver spoon??? Ha!!!! Aircraft mech, teacher, IT, manufacturing machine mech, truck driver, and disabled.... Nothing special, but knowing, and wanting to excel at work, and careful money management...

Maybe we should title this... "It's what you do with your life, not what life you take from others"...

When did I say I was making Rum??? Also, if you make beer in your home or small batch wine, you are breaking the law?... As long as you don't bottle and sell, you aren't breaking anything... If I had income from my massive Rum making operation, I would certainly claim the income... Honesty, it's a good thing... It really is.....

When did I advocate taking anything from anybody?? Pay your taxes, be an american, if you don't like the tax laws, run and change them... But don't play games with money, and pretend to be a Patriot... I don't need to hear it....

Edited by B-Large

When did I say I was making Rum??? Also, if you make beer in your home or small batch wine, you are breaking the law?... As long as you don't bottle and sell, you aren't breaking anything... If I had income from my massive Rum making operation, I would certainly claim the income... Honesty, it's a good thing... It really is.....

When did I advocate taking anything from anybody?? Pay your taxes, be an american, if you don't like the tax laws, run and change them... But don't play games with money, and pretend to be a Patriot... I don't need to hear it....

You were drunk.

I feel sad that in a "free" country, citizens have to hide money to keep it. If tax rates were reasonable there would be less incentive to seek tax shelters

Why should anybody hold themselves above the law? I pay my taxes honestly... I don't stash money in potentially illegal schemes... Why should we give anybody a pass on that, especially an elected official?

Why should anybody hold themselves above the law? I pay my taxes honestly... I don't stash money in potentially illegal schemes... Why should we give anybody a pass on that, especially an elected official?

I see what you did there!!! Let's see if anyone else catches it, ok???