John Murphy Cured Me

ajzepp

So like many of you guys, I'm just plain worn out by this team. It doesn't matter if it's the lack of talent one year, underachieving the next year, just plain not giving a crap yet another year....this team finds way more ways to lose than they do to win and I'm honest to God just sick of it.

That being said, I sit here before you tonight rejuvenated...thanks to the John Murphy Show on WGR.

I usually leave work around 7:45pm and I listen to John on the way home. Sometimes he has guests that are interesting, sometimes he's more interesting than the guests, and other times he'll have on a guy who is seemingly high or drunk like how Frank Wycheck sounded a few weeks ago. Well tonight I not only left closer to 8pm (it's just not as much fun as skipping out a few mins early, right?) and on top of that one of Atlanta's famous "1-car accidents that has to tie up the entire expressway because everyone has to slow down and look at it" happened. I turned on John's show, which had just come back from "halftime", and he's got Kelvin Sheppard on there. What transpired over the next 15 or 20 mins just blew me away. I heard one of the smartest, most candid interviews I've ever heard - not just among Bills players past or present, but EVER....in the entire NFL!

I listened to Kelvin talk about how mad and hurt he was after the loss to the Titans, with John corroborating this by saying that he saw Kelvin stay in the locker room with a look on his face for well over an hour after the game and how he'd never seen Kelvin like that. Shep said that he comes from a culture (LSU) where they don't play to "position" themselves, or to try and get to .500....he comes from a culture where they go out each week with one common goal of winning, and that when they don't get it done you see every single player mad as hell about it. When Shep was a rookie last year, he said he was shocked how guy seemed to just go about their day after a loss, taking their shower, and heading home or whatever, and how this just didn't sit well with him in any way.

Murph asked him how he felt about being taken out of the game depending on the package. He hates it, but he understands it. He wants to be out on the field, especially when it's our top rival, but instead of moping or complaining, he watches Barnett's back and tries to tell him what he sees while Barnett is out there. Further, this kid knows the game in and out. He talked about being gap-solid, needing to rely on your "brothers" to "make the play and not try to cut across two gaps like you're superman and get taken out of position." Murph asked him about whether or not he wishes the defense was more aggressive, and if he would like to spend more time as a pass rusher instead of defending the pass. "Of course, every defensive guy will say they want to rush the QB, but if you're gonna bring the house then you BETTER get there in 2-3 seconds", he said. "The average NFL QB will locate and get the ball to his receiver in 3-4 seconds, and you gotta respect your corners". He has a lot of respect for Wannstedt and says that his schemes are solid, but the players need to play smarter and better. Say what you want about this kid's talent, or if he has or hasn't lived up to his potential as of today, but he's a winner. He's a passionate, articulate kid who LOVES this game. I'll take a team full of guys like this, and hell, especially if we're going to have the damn worse defense in the NFL, for fux sake leave this kid on the field!!

After that, former Bills safety Matt Bowen came on. Apparently he writes for a football-oriented paper and is true student of the game. I'm getting sick of typing and you're all probably sick of reading, so I'll just encourage you to go listen to it. The guy says A LOT of very smart things and he's like a mini-Mayock, except instead of player evaluation he's focused on the Xs and Os of the game. He was on the show about 8:20pm (Shep was on at 8p) and it's one of the best segments I've ever heard on the show.

Okay, that's it. But the point is that this 40m of Bills talk radio has cured me....I'm ready for Sunday dammit and I have a feeling we're going to see a different Bills team.

Edited by ajzepp

I wouldn't get my hopes up this weekend. This Texans team is about as bad of a matchup as it gets. Last time we faced a team that plays this style it was 45-3. And the texans have a better passing game than SF.

lol, thanks for the $5....I bet my friend that the first response would be negative :thumbsup:

I wouldn't get my hopes up this weekend. This Texans team is about as bad of a matchup as it gets. Last time we faced a team that plays this style it was 45-3. And the texans have a better passing game than SF.

While I don't hold out a lot of hope that the Bills win this weekend, I will be more surprised if they get pasted like they did against the 49ers and Pats, than I will be if they hang with the Texans for a while...you say 45-3 Texans, I am going to say 31-17 Texans. I am one who believes the Bills problems are as much mental as they are physically sucking. And, as hard as it is to see it, I do think the defense will be noticeably improved by the end of the season...bye week is a good place to pick it up.

While I don't hold out a lot of hope that the Bills win this weekend, I will be more surprised if they get pasted like they did against the 49ers and Pats, than I will be if they hang with the Texans for a while...you say 45-3 Texans, I am going to say 31-17 Texans. I am one who believes the Bills problems are as much mental as they are physically sucking. And, as hard as it is to see it, I do think the defense will be noticeably improved by the end of the season...bye week is a good place to pick it up.

This. I just have a feeling that, based on what Shep said, this team will get some things figured out, particularly on D. I"m not expecting a win, but I am expecting a change for the better.

Sage and JB....no, thank YOU guys! I'm not always the most articulate chap, but that's exactly what got me excited....Shep is a man among boys in terms of maturity and attitude. This kid CARES!! How often do you hear the same old canned answers, the same flat affect when players give their press conferences, etc. This guy was candid AND respectful. He loves his teammates AND he wants more out of them. This kid gets it, and I'm proud he wears our colors....I really hope he continues to improve and becomes one of the top MLBs we've ever had.

I really hope some of you guys check out this interview...we need about 21 more guys like this.

Took way too long to get to the point

The problem is with the players, coaches, and scheme. Players continue to look confused in coverage which is inexcusable at this point in the season and I blame that on both the coaches and players.

The defensive scheme is a lot like Jaurons cover 2 and relies on the offense not being able to put long drives together which is wussy football

He can say what he want, my eyes don't deceive me. Shep is not an NFL LB. he is really slow at the point of attack and to make matters worse he is soft. He always falls backwards when there is contact and is Velcro when it comes to being blocked. He has been really really bad. 32nd in the league bad. Is he for real when he says they give up no yards and then a big play on the 10th play? Is that how they gave up 300 yards to SF? And all that can be relegated to SF is a good running team. I won't even talk about the NE game because he wasn't on the field but We gave up 175 to Arizona!!! THE WORST RUSHING TEAM IN THE NFL. We need to stop settling for bad players. Everyone here knows he is bad. He doesn't pass the eye test. We are blinded by our fandom, me included. But this is just unacceptable. Look at Miamis LBs and tell me what we put on the field is acceptable....

Edited by develop818

Great post. I wish this entire board was more like you. It would be great in the morning to come here and read articles and posts that are somewhat optimistic--or even a spirited give and take with the "realists."

Instead, sadly, it has turned into a place where every thread is either

a) about Mario Williams needing to be cut after the season

b) about how, if 16-0 is off the table, we should start shooting for 0-16 so we can draft a franchise quarterback

and/or

c) how we'll be the los angeles bills when ralph dies, so none of it matters anyways

Now I too have had my moments of doubt this season--hell, if we cut fitz as I'm writing this post, I'm going to X out of this window, call out of work, pop open some champagne, and post smiley faces on here all day to celebrate--but with that being said, maybe "no one circles the wagons like the buffalo bills," but "no one pisses and moans and makes the football season less fun" than a buffalo bills fan.

To me, as bad as the defense has been, the talent is there.

And as bad as fitz has been, the points have been scored.

And really, its been 1 bad half against the Jets, 1 bad quarter against the pats, 1 bad half against the 9ers, and 1 bad play against the titans.

YOU CAN NOT CHANGE THE PAST, BUT... if spiller doesnt fumble against the pats to end the half, and the titans dont score that TD... we're 5-2, looking at a first round bye.

Were healthy, were 1 game back from the playoffs, and in 9 days, the hardest part of our schedule is over.. EVEN IF... EVEN IF... we get absolutely steamrolled these next 2 weeks, the furthest back from the wildcard we could be is 3 games--with 7 to go. but if the steelers lose to the giants this week? The furthest back we could be from a wildcard is only 2 games.

And those last 2 sentences I just wrote? That's what kills me about this board right now. No ones looking at other teams schedules, no ones looking at the standings, no ones having FUN following the buffalo bills. I dont have anyone to talk to (I live out of market) about how important the steelers/giants game is to the bills playoff hopes, because if you say something like that on here, you get run out of town for being a "kool aid drinker."

Halfway through the season, the bills with the best o line theyve ever had, 2 all world running backs, all the talent in the world on d, and an easy schedule, 1 game back from a wildcard, and this place looks like one of those crashes on the atlanta thruway you talked about.

Great post man, I wish everyone had some optimism and could have some fun following the bills again.

"Bills are going to get smoked on sunday"

Who CARES--look at the standings, not the box scores, it makes it more fun.

PS: Giants went 9-7 last year, were 6-6 after 12 games, and had the 27th ranked defense. And won the super bowl.

It's a different NFL than when we were kids. Parity reigns supreme, and on any given Sunday, any team can look like the best team in the league, or the worst. At the end of the day, a team that loses just as many games as it wins can win the super bowl - You never know when the season youre bitching about could turn out to be the season you want to remember forever.

Edited by JohnnyGold

So like many of you guys, I'm just plain worn out by this team. It doesn't matter if it's the lack of talent one year, underachieving the next year, just plain not giving a crap yet another year....this team finds way more ways to lose than they do to win and I'm honest to God just sick of it.

That being said, I sit here before you tonight rejuvenated...thanks to the John Murphy Show on WGR.

I usually leave work around 7:45pm and I listen to John on the way home. Sometimes he has guests that are interesting, sometimes he's more interesting than the guests, and other times he'll have on a guy who is seemingly high or drunk like how Frank Wycheck sounded a few weeks ago. Well tonight I not only left closer to 8pm (it's just not as much fun as skipping out a few mins early, right?) and on top of that one of Atlanta's famous "1-car accidents that has to tie up the entire expressway because everyone has to slow down and look at it" happened. I turned on John's show, which had just come back from "halftime", and he's got Kelvin Sheppard on there. What transpired over the next 15 or 20 mins just blew me away. I heard one of the smartest, most candid interviews I've ever heard - not just among Bills players past or present, but EVER....in the entire NFL!

I listened to Kelvin talk about how mad and hurt he was after the loss to the Titans, with John corroborating this by saying that he saw Kelvin stay in the locker room with a look on his face for well over an hour after the game and how he'd never seen Kelvin like that. Shep said that he comes from a culture (LSU) where they don't play to "position" themselves, or to try and get to .500....he comes from a culture where they go out each week with one common goal of winning, and that when they don't get it done you see every single player mad as hell about it. When Shep was a rookie last year, he said he was shocked how guy seemed to just go about their day after a loss, taking their shower, and heading home or whatever, and how this just didn't sit well with him in any way.

Murph asked him how he felt about being taken out of the game depending on the package. He hates it, but he understands it. He wants to be out on the field, especially when it's our top rival, but instead of moping or complaining, he watches Barnett's back and tries to tell him what he sees while Barnett is out there. Further, this kid knows the game in and out. He talked about being gap-solid, needing to rely on your "brothers" to "make the play and not try to cut across two gaps like you're superman and get taken out of position." Murph asked him about whether or not he wishes the defense was more aggressive, and if he would like to spend more time as a pass rusher instead of defending the pass. "Of course, every defensive guy will say they want to rush the QB, but if you're gonna bring the house then you BETTER get there in 2-3 seconds", he said. "The average NFL QB will locate and get the ball to his receiver in 3-4 seconds, and you gotta respect your corners". He has a lot of respect for Wannstedt and says that his schemes are solid, but the players need to play smarter and better. Say what you want about this kid's talent, or if he has or hasn't lived up to his potential as of today, but he's a winner. He's a passionate, articulate kid who LOVES this game. I'll take a team full of guys like this, and hell, especially if we're going to have the damn worse defense in the NFL, for fux sake leave this kid on the field!!

After that, former Bills safety Matt Bowen came on. Apparently he writes for a football-oriented paper and is true student of the game. I'm getting sick of typing and you're all probably sick of reading, so I'll just encourage you to go listen to it. The guy says A LOT of very smart things and he's like a mini-Mayock, except instead of player evaluation he's focused on the Xs and Os of the game. He was on the show about 8:20pm (Shep was on at 8p) and it's one of the best segments I've ever heard on the show.

Okay, that's it. But the point is that this 40m of Bills talk radio has cured me....I'm ready for Sunday dammit and I have a feeling we're going to see a different Bills team.

You need to post in the Bills are going to beat the Texans thread and rally it up already. The season takes a turn this Sunday!

This. I just have a feeling that, based on what Shep said, this team will get some things figured out, particularly on D. I"m not expecting a win, but I am expecting a change for the better.

I mean does it really matter. You guys are going to be happy if they lose 31-17 instead of 45-3. It just goes to show what a loser mentality this organization has & I am talking right down to the fan base. It is tough to shed that mentality once it has been ingrained in an organization for so long.

As far as Shep, I like the kid & I think his head & his heart is in the right place. He is just not talented enough to be a starting linebacker in this league. Neither is anybody else on the team.

As a Bills fan for as long as I can remember and I am 47 years old. I have seen my share of the ups and the downs of this team. The 70's had some really bad teams but still had some years where O.J. (COUGH) had some great games and the Bills made the playoffs. The beginning and the ending of the 80's the team was very good the middle was just plain awful and so was attendance you could go to a game and pay $15.00 and sit where you wanted. My first game I went to had a whopping 25000 fans. In my opinion the 90's were the golden age of the Buffalo Bills and I am aware that the 60' s had some great years also but I was way to young or not born yet to remember. This past decade+ I will admit has been the most frustrating and I can understand the fans negativity because I have been guilty of the same thing. Just because a fan on this board rites a negative post does not mean they are not a fan. I think they are just venting. I for one is a great fan of the Bills and will always be I just got to keep a positive attitude and hope that they get this thing turned around because I am a fan thats is all I can do.