If your candidate doesn't win....

Juror#8

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you re-elect a guy who, by his own admission, failed, what does it say about you? That's the real question.

With respect to Obama:

I guess the crux of the question is that if he is re-elected, could he have, in fact, "failed"?

Is the country at large (or the system) a better barometer of success or failure than you individually?

Does it mean that you personally believe something that is not empirically true?

Do you or those with whom you're close, reflect the will or belief of the country at large?

I don’t think it will say anything particularly new or interesting about me or the country either way.

I’m 99% confident that Obama has it locked up though and I’m extremely curious to see how this forum reacts. I’m gonna really enjoy all the screaming.

You and my brother both...and he is not the gambling type.

With respect to Obama:

I guess the crux of the question is that if he is re-elected, could he have, in fact, "failed"?

Is the country at large (or the system) a better barometer of success or failure than you individually?

Does it mean that you personally believe something that is not empirically true?

Do you or those with whom you're close, reflect the will or belief of the country at large?

Yes he has failed. Again, by his own admission. Getting re-elected because there are now more people dependent on him/the government isn't "succeeding" in the sense of the word we're using here.

Does the result truly reflect the 'will and belief' of the country? Better yet....does the 'collective' vote even know what they are voting for?

There are very wide ranging beliefs presented on this board (and lots of other places obviously). Most people here seem to have a general knowledge of events/issues and can typically support what they believe and why. It doesn't mean there is a consensus but folks generally present some basis for their 'belief.' I feel, however, that many people voting today have only superficial comprehension of the issues, or none at all. Their reasons for voting for a candidate are ingrained reflexes and more of a 'sports' team approach. We're the best....rah rah rah. "Bush is an idiot"...."Obama is an idiot." Those type of answers are often the reason given for voting for another candidate...rather than an explanation of what that individual voter believes. Think of the Howard Stern interviews with the "Obama supporters." He gives them all of the Republican information and, well, .....you know the rest. That's just an example and there are certainly equally misinformed/ignorant folks on the right.

I'm not trying to claim to be some political elitist. There are many folks on this board that know more about politics than I ever will. But, I have a set of beliefs that guide my voting and I can defend them or at least explain them as it pertains to specific issues. In my lifetime.....it appears that there is a rapidly growing population on both sides of the aisle that don't seem to understand... or care to find out.

One of my favorite quotes of all time....Winston Churchill: "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

What does it say about you?

What does it say about the country?

If my candidate doesn't win then it means that hes a loser, which means by extension that I'm a loser, and ultimately that my dad was right.

But seriously, the outcome of this election says little to nothing about me.

I do believe that the outcome of this election does reflect pretty strongly on this nation. Should Obama be re-elected, I believe that would signify that the majority of Americans are more concerned with short term gain than long-term sustainability. That we as a nation are committed to ideas that sound nice rather than ideas that work. If my candidate does not win, I would take that as proof that we intend to follow the example set by our friends in Europe despite the fact that we've already seen how that pans out.

I'm not suggesting that if my candidate wins all those problems will be solved, but he at least claims to represent views more similar to my own.

The only thing I could take from this election regardless of who wins is how an electorate could function normally when half of the population hates the other guy.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/10/30/The-Streak-Republicans-Have-Won-Every-November-6th-Presidential-Election-Since-1860

"Here's one more historical curiosity to observe this election cycle. Since election day was standardized in 1845 there have been 6 presidential elections held on November 6th and Republicans have won all six".

Game over. You Obama supporters save your gas and effforts and don't even bother going to the polls. If you insist though, avoid the crowds. Because of "Sandy" they've left the polls open for you dems until November 7th.

Meh, I am voting for Obama because of a very narrow, pathetic interest in his platform (I have never denied that)- but hey, that is where I am at right now. I have done just fine during Bush admin, Obama's admin, and would do just fine under a Romney admin.

Frankly, when I looked at my ballot, I very seriously considered voting for Gary Johnson. IMHO, I think D and R's are implicit in splitting hairs in Washington, neither party overall is serious about the bloated government issue (I think there are some republicans who are, like Coburn, but once the others are in the Wash, lookout)- and maybe they cannot be serious because we don't have an electorate who can deal with hearing that Medicare will be broke soon, SS will be broke soon, and that we probably spend twice if not more on miltary than we are consitutationally required to do (to protect the nation, truly)- and that most other Federal Program could vanish and we would be just fine.

I think both established parties habe hoodwinked the American electorate, except for some on this board into thinking Government has any answers to anything, or that just because the Fed CAN DO something, that is it prudent for them to actually do it.

If Romney is elected, I will be behind him as out President. I will not like some of his policies, like the stance on abortion, war on drugs, etc... but I will support him in an attempt to make the country better than it was yesterday.

You don't need to be a conservative to look around this country right now and see how bad of shape it's in, with 24 million unemployed/underemployed, $16T in debt, no budget for four years, no prospects for real economic growth, and a commander-in-chief who is in so far over his head he can barely complete a full sentence without embarrassing someone.

Alternately, I find it funny that so many liberals say they want to stick with Obama because "THEIR" lives are okay. How is it that liberals spend years criticizing conservatives for not caring about the less fortunate, the middle class, the poor, the uninsured...and the minute ALL of them are FUBARed because of a liberal president, they say "Well, MY life is fine so that's good enough for me. Screw the poor and middle class."

If Romney doesn't win, then it simply confirms my worst fear about Americans today: the majority have given in to the handouts and will rely on the government for the rest of their lives. And somewhere in heaven, de Tocqueville is looking down, shrugging his shoulders and mumbling something that sounds a lot like "I told you so."

Meh, I am voting for Obama because of a very narrow, pathetic interest in his platform (I have never denied that)- but hey, that is where I am at right now. I have done just fine during Bush admin, Obama's admin, and would do just fine under a Romney admin.

Frankly, when I looked at my ballot, I very seriously considered voting for Gary Johnson. IMHO, I think D and R's are implicit in splitting hairs in Washington, neither party overall is serious about the bloated government issue (I think there are some republicans who are, like Coburn, but once the others are in the Wash, lookout)- and maybe they cannot be serious because we don't have an electorate who can deal with hearing that Medicare will be broke soon, SS will be broke soon, and that we probably spend twice if not more on miltary than we are consitutationally required to do (to protect the nation, truly)- and that most other Federal Program could vanish and we would be just fine.

I think both established parties habe hoodwinked the American electorate, except for some on this board into thinking Government has any answers to anything, or that just because the Fed CAN DO something, that is it prudent for them to actually do it.

If Romney is elected, I will be behind him as out President. I will not like some of his policies, like the stance on abortion, war on drugs, etc... but I will support him in an attempt to make the country better than it was yesterday.

What difference does his stance on abortion make? Do you think Roe vs. Wade is going to be overturned? Has Romney made the war on drugs central to his campaign? I haven't even heard him mention it. Would it be any different than Obama's stance?

The only thing I could take from this election regardless of who wins is how an electorate could function normally when half of the population hates the other guy.

So, many people aren't voting for their guy so much as they are voting for the lesser of two evils. They may not like obama/Romney, but they hate Romney/obama, so they vote for Obama/Romney.

Nothing more than I'm more fiscally conservative than most. Which I already knew. ;)

Not sure. The snarky answer is: It says a lot of people like free stuff but don't quite understand that free stuff isn't necessarily free.

Nothing more than I'm more fiscally conservative than most. Which I already knew. ;)

Not sure. The snarky answer is: It says a lot of people like free stuff but don't quite understand that free stuff isn't necessarily free going to continue for long.

What difference does his stance on abortion make? Do you think Roe vs. Wade is going to be overturned? Has Romney made the war on drugs central to his campaign? I haven't even heard him mention it. Would it be any different than Obama's stance?

He has said he would support overturning Roe v Wade... that is in his own words.... if additonal conservatives justices are appointment to the SCOTUS, I don't think it is out of th question it could happen, do you? I am not going to advocate abortion, nor advoate taxpayers money for it, but I believe it is not my place to chose for others.

As far the war on drugs Romney will have the same position as Obama.... I don't care for Obama position.. heck, there are btoh Dem and R's on the radio here in Colorado, together, trying to stop a movement to make MJ legal in the State.

He has said he would support overturning Roe v Wade... that is in his own words.... if additonal conservatives justices are appointment to the SCOTUS, I don't think it is out of th question it could happen, do you? I am not going to advocate abortion, nor advoate taxpayers money for it, but I believe it is not my place to chose for others.

As far the war on drugs Romney will have the same position as Obama.... I don't care for Obama position.. heck, there are btoh Dem and R's on the radio here in Colorado, together, trying to stop a movement to make MJ legal in the State.

They'd never get confirmed for one. And for another, no law would ever come out from congress.

It is absolutely stunning to me that the world is on fire, the economy is in the crapper, we're $16 trillion in debt with NO plan to do anything other than tax the rich some more, and you need to vote for Romney because you're afraid he is somehow going to overturn an abortion law? Where was your need to make your own choices when Obamacare was shoved down your throat?

To be perfectly honest, I'm not certain you want to admit this to anyone outside an obscure political forum on an anonymous website dedicated to a consistently crappy football team. Because that's type of rational makes Duck Dodgers seem coherent.