Star Wars Episode VII planned for 2015

/dev/null

Will Disney put out better Star Wars movies than IV and V? Doubtful.

But I fully expect them to put out something better than the Episode I-III trash.

Face it, the Star Wars movies have no where to go but up. Mickey Mouse could be in the next movie and it would still be an upgrade over Jar Jar Binks.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disney didn't screw up the Marvel films and the Avengers. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. Moreso than George Lucas, who didn't realize his best work was one that passed the quality controls of others (i.e. Spielberg, etc.)

He took on too much with Episodes 1-3 because he felt he was a genius.

Plus Wreck-it-Ralph looks rad.

For some reason I'm thinking the Avengers was the first of the Disney-owned Marvel films. I'm sure Mark Vader will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

That's the big question. George Lucas is all but retired now, which I'm sure is a big reason why he is going ahead with Disney purchasing LucasFilm, so it seems like he will not have that much involvement with any of these future episodes. They could very well adapt the Timothy Zahn "Heir to the Empire" novels.

So does Disney now own ILM as well?

Lucas is still going to be a "Creative consultant" on them, but the executive producing spot is going to someone from ET I believe

Will Disney put out better Star Wars movies than IV and V? Doubtful.

But I fully expect them to put out something better than the Episode I-III trash.

Face it, the Star Wars movies have no where to go but up. Mickey Mouse could be in the next movie and it would still be an upgrade over Jar Jar Binks.

I wouldn't be so sure on that, Disney is all about the promotion/marketing, so they will want to have the "loveable" characters for the children to wqant their parents to run out and buy the plush dolls and other toys of, what Lucas was trying to create with Jar-Jar.

I really believe that its more then likely we will see episodes 7-9 be much closer to episodes 1-3 then episodes 4-6

For some reason I'm thinking the Avengers was the first of the Disney-owned Marvel films. I'm sure Mark Vader will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct sir. Disney acquired Marvel in 2009 but the Avengers was the first film they distributed. But Iron Man 2 and Thor were both developed under their ownership. And from what I gather, Disney's model with these films is to hire the best writers and directors to helm them. Those that are intimately connected with the franchise in question. They hit it out of the park by hiring Joss Whedon despite his relative inexperience. Whedon's time as a writer for Marvel was what made him a perfect choice.

Hopefully, Disney will chose someone who is as much a fan boy of the Star Wars universe as Whedon was of Marvel.

Yeah, I am not sure where the hate comes from. I like to pick at him some, but Hate is too strong a word. When someone says, "I hate ..." it implies a personal context. I don't know the guy, I can say I dislike his ideas, execution, writing, directing, and smug attitude, but I can't say I "hate" the guy. He's probably a pretty good guy, for all I know.

I just happen to believe that he is extrememly fortunate (about 4.05 billion dollars worth) that he surrounded himself with more competent writers, directors and other movie making people, otherwise, Star Wars would NEVER have been as big a hit as it was...

I agree, and that's the part that I think is BS. Disagree with the guy, get a little frustrated that he doesn't always do what fans wish he'd do, but some people take it way too far. Clearly it's gotten to the guy and that's a shame. He doesn't deserve it, IMO. Hell, I wish he would have offed JarJar in the 2nd prequel, but I don't hate the guy for not doing it.

I'll also admit that I don't think he's the right guy for the job when it comes to making a movie that has universal appeal. He did it once with the first one, but not sure he really got it right after that. So you'll have kids who LOVE phantom menace, just as you'll have adults who hate it. The prequels were very polarizing. Hell, even ROTJ from the OT was polarizing. But it's his art and I believe he can do with it as he pleases. It's really REALLY hard for me to take a cynical approach with George, more so with him than any other entertainment figure actually.

Han. Shot. First.

That Lucas doesn't understand why that's important illustrates the basic incompetence of the man.

lol....fair point.

So Disney has control over the SW franchise entirely now?? I'm shocked if George gave up his control over his own work....I thought he was selling Lucasfilm and the rights for future SW films. If he let it all go, that really bothers me actually.

So Disney has control over the SW franchise entirely now?? I'm shocked if George gave up his control over his own work....I thought he was selling Lucasfilm and the rights for future SW films. If he let it all go, that really bothers me actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_shot_first

What a tool.

He's an idiot who fell into greatness. A dog who caught the car and had no idea what to do with it (artistically - monetarily he killed it). People always get mad when they see potential pissed away.

If Disney can make compelling stories - I hope they make 100 of them. I would never trust Lucas to pen a Dick and Jane book. Primarily because his dialog wouldn't be sophisticated enough for it.

http://en.wikipedia..../Han_shot_first

What a tool.

He's an idiot who fell into greatness. A dog who caught the car and had no idea what to do with it (artistically - monetarily he killed it). People always get mad when they see potential pissed away.

If Disney can make compelling stories - I hope they make 100 of them. I would never trust Lucas to pen a Dick and Jane book. Primarily because his dialog wouldn't be sophisticated enough for it.

I hope they make 100, too!

(common ground lol)

You are correct sir. Disney acquired Marvel in 2009 but the Avengers was the first film they distributed. But Iron Man 2 and Thor were both developed under their ownership. And from what I gather, Disney's model with these films is to hire the best writers and directors to helm them. Those that are intimately connected with the franchise in question. They hit it out of the park by hiring Joss Whedon despite his relative inexperience. Whedon's time as a writer for Marvel was what made him a perfect choice.

Hopefully, Disney will chose someone who is as much a fan boy of the Star Wars universe as Whedon was of Marvel.

Exactly.

Disney wants to make as much money as possible, but they are not foolish enough to interfere with the creativity of an established franchise. Did you all notice that when "The Avengers" came out, there was no Disney logo in front of the movie?

Disney will have all the production costs covered, but they will give the writers and directors plenty of free reign.

Just imagine what Pixar can do now that LucasFilm is a part of the company.

Exactly.

Disney wants to make as much money as possible, but they are not foolish enough to interfere with the creativity of an established franchise. Did you all notice that when "The Avengers" came out, there was no Disney logo in front of the movie?

Disney will have all the production costs covered, but they will give the writers and directors plenty of free reign.

Just imagine what Pixar can do now that LucasFilm is a part of the company.

Disney has a strange contract when it comes to the Marvel stuff though. I was in Disney World earlier in the month and talking to one of the employees, it turns out they're not allowed to even have even one piece of Marvel stuff inside their parks. Universal holds the rights for that stuff in amusement parks for whatever reason. I wonder if something similar might be in place on the movies, make all the money you want, but keep your logo off of it.

But whatever that rule is, you're right, I don't think they'd do much logo-wise with the new movies. But the one thing that will be really strange, and I think it was mentioned here, will be the opening of the movie without the 20th Century Fox stuff. That music flowed into the opening theme so perfectly.

Disney has a strange contract when it comes to the Marvel stuff though. I was in Disney World earlier in the month and talking to one of the employees, it turns out they're not allowed to even have even one piece of Marvel stuff inside their parks. Universal holds the rights for that stuff in amusement parks for whatever reason. I wonder if something similar might be in place on the movies, make all the money you want, but keep your logo off of it.

Universal has a lease on the characters for use in Amusement parks and sale of Marvel to Disney (I always knew that Marvel was a Mickey Mouse company) did not invalidate contract with Universal.

I really believe that its more then likely we will see episodes 7-9 be much closer to episodes 1-3 then episodes 4-6

Honestly, it amazes me how people are even able to differentiate between the two groups. The first one was fun when I was 9, but if you can manage to watch any of them again as an adult, they're just flat out awful. The writing is so egregiously and cartoonishly bad that watching any one of the 6 for more than a few minutes is just embarrassing.

I actually don't mind good space opera (at least in a literary format) but every one of these films seems like it was written for 10 year olds, by 10 year olds.

http://en.wikipedia..../Han_shot_first

What a tool.

Nailed it.

[

But whatever that rule is, you're right, I don't think they'd do much logo-wise with the new movies. But the one thing that will be really strange, and I think it was mentioned here, will be the opening of the movie without the 20th Century Fox stuff. That music flowed into the opening theme so perfectly.

The deal to acquire Marvel states that no Marvel Characters can be used in any Disney theme park East of the Missisippi River, so not to interfere with Universal.

When the Star Wars theme park opens in Orlando, it will be awesome.

Lucas Arts had some hits and misses with ownership of that franchise. I expect Disney will have more at bats and more hits.

Disney has been looking to respond to the opening of Harry Potter at Universal. A fifth theme park at WDW based on Star Wars does just that. Imagine the different parts of the park based on the movies such as Tatooine with Cantina as a restaurant, the Death Star, Corsucant, the possibilities are endless.

I agree, and that's the part that I think is BS. Disagree with the guy, get a little frustrated that he doesn't always do what fans wish he'd do, but some people take it way too far. Clearly it's gotten to the guy and that's a shame. He doesn't deserve it, IMO. Hell, I wish he would have offed JarJar in the 2nd prequel, but I don't hate the guy for not doing it.

I'll also admit that I don't think he's the right guy for the job when it comes to making a movie that has universal appeal. He did it once with the first one, but not sure he really got it right after that. So you'll have kids who LOVE phantom menace, just as you'll have adults who hate it. The prequels were very polarizing. Hell, even ROTJ from the OT was polarizing. But it's his art and I believe he can do with it as he pleases. It's really REALLY hard for me to take a cynical approach with George, more so with him than any other entertainment figure actually.

lol....fair point.

I think he wanted to make sure Star Wars lives forever and Disney is the only company he trusts to carry his vision on ward. Disney has the ability to bring the Star Wars Universe to life. The proposal Disney presented to him must be phenomenal to get him to agree to sell, probably an entire theme park devoted to Star Wars that will be visited by millions of people a year.

I am actually hoping they do a movie or two on the time frame between episodes III and IV and call it Rise of the Rebellion.

There is a chance some characters from the first trilogy could be back. Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher do not have careers and Harrison Ford has said repeatly that he owes his career to George Lucas and probably would agree to return.

I will stop rambling now.