USA Today Mid Season Grade on Bills

Hsp08

The way I see it is like this:

1) as bills fans, collectively, we know that ryan fitzpatrick is NOT a great quarterback, and will never win us a superbowl.

the nfl nation, collectively, looks at ryan fitzpatricks stats, says "hes a good quarterback," and therefore assumes the bills have a higher ceiling than they actually do.

2) as bills fans, collectively, we know that chan gailey is NOT a good game manager, and is outcoached in divisional games, and flustered late in games in general.

the nfl nation, collectively, looks at our offensive output "sporadically" and assumes that we can put up points, and win some games.

OK, with that being said... if you look at the bills season, it is the story of 3 halves. meaning: the first half against the jets, the second half against the pats, and the second half against the niners. other than that, we have played "wild-card" level football.

as much as i hate fitz, as much as i hate gailey, you have to have to have to look at the talent we have on d, the talent we have on offense, the easy schedule we have in the second half, and the fact that were only 1 game back from a wildcard, and think (if youre a non-affiliated observer) "this team could make a run."

HOWEVER, being bills fans, watching this team, knowing this team... its a long shot they make the playoffs.

Reality is that if we can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat from either the Texans or Patsies* our schedule for the rest of the season favors a strong finish. I agree with Buftex that if we beat one of those two teams 10-6 is not out of the question. Enough to get us into the playoffs, i'm not sure, but would make for an interesting december for a change!! GO BILLS!

9 wins gets a wildcard.

right now, 6 seed is only 1 game over .500, and thats 8 weeks in.

too short of a timeframe left for 2 (wildcard) teams to deviate that far away from .500, especially with so many games against one another.

for example, dolphins are in 5th place at 4-3, colts are in 6th at 4-3, they both play each other this weekend, and pittsburgh goes to the giants, meaning theres a good chances that 4-4 is good for a wildcard halfway through the season. even if bills lose to texans to go 3-5, they would still just be 1 back from the 6 seed.

not saying the bills get a wildcard, but no way 10-6 is the record of the 6 seed. not in a million years.

Edited by JohnnyGold