Changes Need To Be Made & Questions Need 2 B Answered ??

T master

Our year started with high expectations , especially with our defense & rightfully so . But as we all know what we thought would be is not & we find our selves coming into the second half of the year with certain things that need to be addressed , some more than others & mainly on our D .

The run game on D & the pass rush are our main deficiency on defense & our starters are not providing the play to get the job done . If for nothing else to provide a spark or a slap in the face (a wake up call if you will) why not use other players that we have to see if it would provide a spark or wake up the starters by sitting them for a game (or 2) & use the starters as back ups for a wake up call .

Make them realize that they can still lose there starting job if they don't perform ...

Our LB ing corp & our secondary to some extent are very suspect & we have a few players that could add that needed spark , two that have been mostly inactive this year one on injured reserve , one inactive for most of the year & the other just came back to the team after being cut at the start of the season .

I am asking this to see what if any sense this could make especially from our veteran guys on this sight that have been posting for a long period of time (such as PTR & BB & others) that seem to know a bit more than just our casual posters or rookies which i consider my self to be although i like to think i know a little bit about football as most of us do ..

If we were relegate 2 starters to back ups those being Sheppard & A Williams & replace them with K . Morrison & R . Brooks would that provide a spark to our D or the motivation for the other guys to play better ? That's question #1 ...

My other question is seeing as our LB corp is a weakness on defense what would it hurt to try Merriman at his old position on certain blitz packages ? Use him not only as a DE but in certain situations him in at OLB not only to confuse opponents defenses & keep them guessing but to utallize a guy that has some pretty deep experience at a position that at one time he was 1 of the best at that position & now we don't use his experience at that position at all .

I know he was mainly a 3/4 LB but what is the main difference between how he would perform as a 4/3 SLB or OLB or a 3/4 SLB ? (is he to slow for 4/3 OLB , is there too much to learn ?) He is a football player . Is it really so much different that we couldn't use his experience & athleticism in that position in a sub package for blitzes ?

I don't really totally understand the thinking behind moving him to a different position , i know they want him to be a pass rusher which he was & is but IF we have weaknesses that we are trying to address why not at least try it ?? If for nothing else to throw a curve give other teams something else to have to game plan against or am i missing something ??

Well there are a couple of questions for you all to answer , call me stupid if you would like (i've been called it before) but you don't know unless you ask !!

Edited by T master

I agree.

However, before that, some HEADS NEED TO ROLL. This is by far the worst Bills coaching staff I've ever seen. -WORST.

There's no leadership, discipline, or accountability to be found on either side of the ball. The Nix/Gailey re-build is officially, without question, A FAIL.

Fire Gailey and appoint an interim. Then fire Wannstedt and do the same thing. It really isn't that hard. The season is a wash, and it's time to look to the future.

So the solution on D is to put a guy who hasn't produced in years at any position in a new position and see what happens? No. We go over this with Merriman again and again.

Ah, but you want to put Merriman at LB only in blitz subpackages? Something tells me opposing coaches would pick up on that fairly quickly.

Look, there isn't any magic personnel trickery to be employed here. The players just have to perform better (at their natural positions.) There's a lot of young guys on this defense; they may improve as the season goes forward. It has happened before.

I agree.

However, before that, some HEADS NEED TO ROLL. This is by far the worst Bills coaching staff I've ever seen. -WORST.

There's no leadership, discipline, or accountability to be found on either side of the ball. The Nix/Gailey re-build is officially, without question, A FAIL.

Fire Gailey and appoint an interim. Then fire Wannstedt and do the same thing. It really isn't that hard. The season is a wash, and it's time to look to the future.

No there's definitely discipline and accountability, it's just directed at the wrong players. Stevie gets benched for a Happy New Year shirt but players who show no heart get to start regularly. This staff is azz backwards.

So the solution on D is to put a guy who hasn't produced in years at any position in a new position and see what happens? No. We go over this with Merriman again and again.

Ah, but you want to put Merriman at LB only in blitz subpackages? Something tells me opposing coaches would pick up on that fairly quickly.

Look, there isn't any magic personnel trickery to be employed here. The players just have to perform better (at their natural positions.) There's a lot of young guys on this defense; they may improve as the season goes forward. It has happened before.

The key phrase in your post is NATURAL positions which as i stated Merrimans NATURAL position is LB , and seeing as what ever they are doing isn't working why not at least try it ??

As the old adage says "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but our D seeing as we are setting records for futility it's broke so TRY SOMETHING TO FIX IT !!

And to try a move like that with Merriman if for nothing but a spark to make these young guys realize we are willing to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to fix what's broken then i'm all for it !!!

No there's definitely discipline and accountability, it's just directed at the wrong players. Stevie gets benched for a Happy New Year shirt but players who show no heart get to start regularly. This staff is azz backwards.

Very good point !!!!!

The key phrase in your post is NATURAL positions which as i stated Merrimans NATURAL position is LB , and seeing as what ever they are doing isn't working why not at least try it ??

As the old adage says "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but our D seeing as we are setting records for futility it's broke so TRY SOMETHING TO FIX IT !!

And to try a move like that with Merriman if for nothing but a spark to make these young guys realize we are willing to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to fix what's broken then i'm all for it !!!

Very good point !!!!!

Well, If you knew a little more about Merriman, you would also have known that his natural position is LB IN A 3-4 DEFENCE, THAT IS NOT THE SAME AS LB IN A 4-3 DEFENCE

It was one of the reasons why he was cut in the first pace, he didn't fit this defence and was better off in a 3-4

Well, If you knew a little more about Merriman, you would also have known that his natural position is LB IN A 3-4 DEFENCE, THAT IS NOT THE SAME AS LB IN A 4-3 DEFENCE

It was one of the reasons why he was cut in the first pace, he didn't fit this defence and was better off in a 3-4

It's VERY apparent that you didn't read my original post !!!

It's VERY apparent that you didn't read my original post !!!

I did, His natural position is 3-4 LB, which is not the same as 4-3 LB

He is a football player who hasn't played more then a few games in many years, he can't stay healthy, and his success came playing in a 3-4, but you think he could just play a LB role in a 4-3 which is not the same as a LB in a 3-4. The closest position to being a 3-4 LB in in a 4-3 is playing as a 4-3 DE

I did, His natural position is 3-4 LB, which is not the same as 4-3 LB

He is a football player who hasn't played more then a few games in many years, he can't stay healthy, and his success came playing in a 3-4, but you think he could just play a LB role in a 4-3 which is not the same as a LB in a 3-4. The closest position to being a 3-4 LB in in a 4-3 is playing as a 4-3 DE

Thats not what he said. Reread his post.