The "All 22" has changed NFL writing for the better

l< j

I have noticed a big change in the quality of football reporting this season, as reporters and bloggers (and even some TSW members!) rely on the NFL's coaching tapes. It really has become educational about the Xs and Os, and has changed analysis for the better.

Put it this way: I never found Pete Prisco to offer much of anything really strong prior to this season. And now he writes stuff like this, every week: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pete-prisco/20686618/petes-pics-bears-show-diverse-looks-on-defense

SI has a guy who does similar stuff every week, as well. So does Buffalo Rumblings, and WGR I believe. This is a level of detail and analysis that you didn't get before.

I don't mind the profiles of the players or the insider conversations that amounted to nothing, but that didn't really help you understand what was going on on the field. (And I still don't understand much, btw.) Hopefully the John Claytons and Peter Kings will lose even more 'media share' to this trend. Maybe a little too soon to announce a gold age of football analysis, but it is definitely a change for the better.

kj

Also, Pricso talks about Lovie Smith's change from a Tony Dungy-trained boring Tampa 2 guy to a guy who throws a lot of different wrinkles and looks at the other team. So a defensive coach has had to evolve with a changing league. Huh.

kj

i've found the players page on nationalfootballpost.com to be pretty good at analyzing the play as well. i really like this kind of in depth stuff. i often times look for this kind of stuff while watching games. that's why a few years ago i watched a lot of packer games, dom capers does a pretty good job with blitz packages. i noticed again ari that wanny used some of these strange packages but then back off them.

complete nonsense on the double teams and chips.......watched Peppers and Jared Allen get the "doubleteam and chip" and they still get to the QB.

enought with the excuses IMO.....100 mil = 10 sacks minimum period

The guy is already on pace to get 8 sacks. 10 sacks isn't really the determining factor whether a DE has had a successful season or not. I'm not going to judge a season based on 10 plays. What I want to see are more games like the Cardinals game in terms of pass rush where even if he wasn't getting sacks he was a disruption to the QB on plenty of plays.

I agree. It's made it harder for coaches to try and BS us. Although Gailey still insists MW is being chipped, double teamed, and trple teamed every play. (not trying to start an argument here, there are enough threads about it)

Yep, thats what I like most. I have the film thing, but must admit have not looked at it once, but love the stuff writers are using as noted by the OP.

complete nonsense on the double teams and chips.......watched Peppers and Jared Allen get the "doubleteam and chip" and they still get to the QB.

enought with the excuses IMO.....100 mil = 10 sacks minimum period

Not to hijack the thread but yes, those are b.s. excuses.

On the other hand, his injured wrist is one legit reason for his disappointing season.

As for the topic at hand, the "All-22" has been a game-changer on many levels. You definitely see the manifestation of change in the media and even fans here on this board. I wish I had more time in my day to watch the All-22 because I do have NFL Game Rewind.

I think someday you'll see that some NFL GMs got their start in scouting because of their addiction to watching NFL video, like the many baseball GMs who got their jobs because of their obsession with sabermetrics.

The guy is already on pace to get 8 sacks. 10 sacks isn't really the determining factor whether a DE has had a successful season or not. I'm not going to judge a season based on 10 plays. What I want to see are more games like the Cardinals game in terms of pass rush where even if he wasn't getting sacks he was a disruption to the QB on plenty of plays.

On pace for 8 sacks. I don't know. What crap O-lines do the Bills have left this year? You know like the Cardinals.