I'm pretty sure Wannstedt has complete autonomy with the D

Based on things I've heard Chan Gailey say, I have a feeling he has 0 input or control over what the Defense does or how it does it. And it's my impression that's how he wants it.

I'd look stuff up but I don't have time right now. Just my interpretation of things.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

Dude. Gailey is Wanny's boss. Either Wanny's boss cans him if he doesn't get the expected results, or Wanny's boss will be canned. There is no such thing as autonomy in this business. You either produce or you're on to your next gig.

Dude. Gailey is Wanny's boss. Either Wanny's boss cans him if he doesn't get the expected results, or Wanny's boss will be canned. There is no such thing as autonomy in this business. You either produce or you're on to your next gig.

For sooth sayeth you, Dr. Tooth

I think I understand what he's saying to a point combing through Gailey's words he's not defensive minded at all and prefers to have that left up completely to someone else. Not to the point where anyone has autonomy but the more Gailey can stay out of that the more comfortable he is with that. Gailey just another in the long line of better coordinator than head coach

Dude, where's the link to your claim that Gailey makes 600K per year? Were still waiting. Thanks!

Jay, are you using bits from the players to make that assumption? I hesitate saying assumption, but it is. Listening and reading player comments I wonder about the same thing now that you mention it. The players seem to dancing to the music they are playing themselves.

Gailey has said this numerous times during the press conferences. He doesn't sit in on the defensive meetings and doesn't have much in the defensive game plan. He did imply that if things don't improve he may start asking wtf, but frankly I doubt he knows much about coaching defense at the pro level.

Really, it's immaterial whether Gailey has input or not.

Whether he's involved or not he bears ultimate responsibility so if the defense sucks, it's a reflection of him as a head coach.

If he chooses not to be the control freak that so many NFL coaches are, then he does so at his own peril, and responsibility.

Just because a parent turns a blind eye to his child's underage parties doesn't absolve that parent of responsibility.

you hire a guy to do a job, then let him do his job. If it's not good enough he'll be fired....they know that

Actually, if he's not good enough and you hired him, you might be fired.

I think that's the point.

So you'd better "help" him be "good enough" like Coughlin and Cowher helped Gilbride.

NFL32 on ESPN said that Wanny is not the problem. If it is not him or the scheme (very vanilla) then one can assume that it is the players. Bad mix. Lazy Vets and green rookies. Kelsay calling out the D is refreshing. Now who is gonna kick them in the pants to get the changes made? Wanny better be up to that task.

Actually, if he's not good enough and you hired him, you might be fired.

I think that's the point.

So you'd better "help" him be "good enough" like Coughlin and Cowher helped Gilbride.

No matter how you look at it Gailey comes out looking like a fool. If you're going to be hands off, then you'd better hire somebody super-competent so you don't have to worry about the defense. OTOH, if you have a lot of say in the defense and it still performs like crap, you are incompetent.

Maybe Buddy should have picked up one of those 15 calls he was getting on a daily basis.

There is no way that Gailey doesn't know enough about an NFL defense to sit down and watch a tape and see how other NFL teams are ripping through his defense like a hot chainsaw through butter. He can put all the lipstick he wants on it, but he hired Wannstedt and he is the one allowing this suckfest to continue through the first half of the season. Why doesn't he say that these performances are simply unacceptable and will be fixed instead of the "I don't know" and "I don't have any answers" Barney Fife routine?

Wanny should have been fired by now. With him on board our team will give up 90+ points over the next 2 games unless they show mercy and put their back-ups in early- even then we may very well give up 90+ points in the next 2 games (combined of course, not each).

Chan is committing career suicide by not firing his buddy Dave W. and insisting on sticking with Fitz.

I think Chan could be a good OC but he is failing as a HC. We need a GM & HC that will get us a real QB and DC.

imo chan is learning the hard way that nice guys finish last. he's trying to give everyone room to feel comfortable and do their jobs without inteference because he think's everyone will respecthim more that way. unfortunately it's not working and if he doesn't a-hol it up in a hurry he's going to be the one tking the fall. i think he knows this but he seems powerless to do anytihg about it. you think belichek would sit around and watch one side of the ball flounder like this week after week? that's one big reason they win every year despite drafting in the 20s and 30s...it's called ACCOUNTABILITY.

NFL-caliber accountability has been absent from the organization for years and this is just the latest example.

Why doesn't he say that these performances are simply unacceptable and will be fixed instead of the "I don't know" and "I don't have any answers" Barney Fife routine?

I just came out of a seminar and in it we watched a video of Jeff Immelt and he was talking about his theories of management, etc. In one segment he was talking about managerial accountability and the art of managing change and difficult circumstances. He said, "I beat myself up every night, but in the morning it's a new day. Because can you imagine me standing up in front of my employees and saying,"I honestly don't know what to do and what we should do next."

Therein lies our answer.

Gailey has said this numerous times during the press conferences. He doesn't sit in on the defensive meetings and doesn't have much in the defensive game plan. He did imply that if things don't improve he may start asking wtf, but frankly I doubt he knows much about coaching defense at the pro level.

This. I think the idea that Wannstedt has complete autonomy over the D is self evident. I'm sure that when he was elevated, he was told he'd have complete autonomy on the D side - this is why he was given the title "Assistant Head Coach" in addition to the D Cooordinator title.

I just came out of a seminar and in it we watched a video of Jeff Immelt and he was talking about his theories of management, etc. In one segment he was talking about managerial accountability and the art of managing change and difficult circumstances. He said, "I beat myself up every night, but in the morning it's a new day. Because can you imagine me standing up in front of my employees and saying,"I honestly don't know what to do and what we should do next."

Therein lies our answer.

But if George Wilson catches the int.-- the talk is about a team that finds a way to win in the end. What a roller coaster.