Think the "victim mentality" ain't a problem? Read this

Now.

But without a trained labor force nor the raw materials to make good on any of those innovations. Not without outsourcing much of the production and manufacturing to other nations. Fast forward another decade, and the problem is exacerbated even more.

Whoever develops and refines "new" energy will be the controlling economic power for the next century. Right now, we are in a worse position strategically to do that than ever before.

But wait....didn't you just say we've not been the leaders in tech the last 10 years? And you said you had facts. I'm confused.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, no. It's the definition of fundamentalism.

If my fundamental belief is that you are a moron, and that is the only tenant of my beliefs, does that mean I reject science?

Again the depth of your ignorance and bias is astounding.

If my fundamental belief is that you are a moron, and that is the only tenant of my beliefs, does that mean I reject science?

Again the depth of your ignorance and bias is astounding.

Your fundamental belief that I'm a moron isn't mandated by God.

That's the difference.

actually no, it is an expression of ignorance.

Very surprising that you would state something so flat out off-base as some sort of absolute.

It's not an expression of ignorance, it's a historical reality. Religious fundamentalism has always waged war against science because it presumes to know all the answers and views science as a threat.

For reference open any history book.

But wait....didn't you just say we've not been the leaders in tech the last 10 years? And you said you had facts. I'm confused.

Sorry, missed this...

Science for sure. Technology and innovation, as I said in the subsequent post, is more of a murky position because there's no one defining number to point to.

We lead the world in patents which is hugely important -- though becoming less so with the continued assault on IP in our own legal system let alone the global community's.

Depending on which ranking you want to look at, the US ranks as low as 52nd in science and as high as 17th. In terms of technology and innovation we're anywhere from 3rd or as low as 7th.

It's not an expression of ignorance, it's a historical reality. Religious fundamentalism has always waged war against science because it presumes to know all the answers and views science as a threat.

Much like the Republican war on women. :wallbash:

I see you are projecting again.

Edited by Gary M

OK, youre going back here....

If you going to make this statement you have to prove how this has affected technological innovation in the USA.

Becuase for a Country filled with a bunch of "idiot, stupid, Religious whackos", the USA's populace has been known to invent a few things here and there throughout her history.

So how did this happen, given the number of religious backwards nuts we have running around?

Edited by RkFast

OK, youre going back here....

If you going to make this statement you have to prove how this has affected technological innovation in the USA.

Becuase for a Country filled with a bunch of "idiot, stupid, Religious whackos", the USA's populace has been known to invent a few things here and there throughout her history.

So how did this happen, given the number of religious backwards nuts we have running around?

I'm in no way or no form attempting to paint every religious person with the fundamentalist brush. Truly fundamentalist religions are not the majority of religious people in this country.

I'm in no way or no form attempting to paint every religious person with the fundamentalist brush. Truly fundamentalist religions are not the majority of religious people in this country.

Answer the question, how has affected technological innovation in the USA?

Yes. I do.

You think I'm F'ing around? Seriously, you will smash that phone. Especially after the 8th time you hear "how many years of working with X do you have?"...when X came out <1 year ago and nobody really knows WTF they are doing with it yet. :lol:

Yes...and the Microsoft VS. Apple VS. Google tablet war that is literally starting TODAY...is not happening? Um...3 American companies, right?

This war has all the makings of being epic for the rest of us, and never ending. Some parts of it may be fought in China...but really? This is going to be a global war, fought all over the place, and the "soldiers" are going to be from all over the world, but mostly Americans. That's the world we live in now. It's going to be awesome. :)

I'm really surprised.

You really don't know much about religion, fundamental or otherwise, if you truly believe those shallow cliches.

Perhaps you should open a few more books, other than Dan Brown.......................lol

Answer the question, how has affected technological innovation in the USA?

Well now we're talking about 3 things at once.

I'm not the one saying religious fundamentalism played a significant role in our national slide in science and technology. That's MM. My first post was to RK about his assertion that we were still the world leaders in science and technology. The facts are we are no longer number one in science or technology/innovation. We haven't been for quite some time. Those are the stats.

MM is the one saying the over-religious nature of our populace is the reason. I disagree with that assertion as there are other more significant factors at play. I do agree with him that it has played a factor -- just a small one.

But...

If you want to pin me down ask yourself how teaching creationism and intelligent design in school is helpful to furthering our scientific understanding of the universe. Or ask yourself why a sitting member of the House Science committee went on the air and made exposed his truly mind-boggling ignorance about basic biology -- and then was defended by evangelicals despite the absurdity of his claims. Mourdock has since taken it to another level by cloaking his ignorance in the guise of God's plan.

But arguing that religious fundamentalism is somehow pro-science is just silly. The two cannot co-exist and never have.

I'm really surprised.

You really don't know much about religion, fundamental or otherwise, if you truly believe those shallow cliches.

Perhaps you should open a few more books, other than Dan Brown.......................lol

How does a fundamentalist Christian explain the creation of the universe?

But arguing that religious fundamentalism is somehow pro-science is just silly. The two cannot co-exist and never have.

How does a fundamentalist Christian explain the creation of the universe?

I'm sorry, its difficult enough to discuss politics here, I have made it a guideline to avoid getting into a "deep" religious, philosophical debate on a message board.

I probably should have just ignored your post (below) and your subsequent arguments.....................

Religious fundamentalism by its very nature is anti-science because it is an absolute.

I just believe that that statement is incorrect. It is short sighted to religion and its history, (and to science too, for that matter.

but if you want to believe that the two are some type of polar opposites, go right ahead.

ps: Its kind of ironic that this is in the "victim mentality" thread.......................

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."
- Albert Einstein

The only kind of science that religious fundamentalism is consistent with is bad science.

Religious fundamentalism is all about a rigid, firmly held belief system based solely on fallacies (appeals to tradition, authority, fear, an ancient "infallible" book, etc...) Science, when done correctly, eschews all of these prejudices.

Edited by gringo starr

The only kind of science that religious fundamentalism is consistent with is bad science.

Religious fundamentalism is all about a rigid, firmly held belief system based solely on fallacies (appeals to tradition, authority, fear, an ancient "infallible" book, etc...)

lol,

certainly written with an open mind, I'm sure...................

Edited by B-Man