For all those who love Bledsoe

It is not a question of love or like or hate or what.

The question is, who is the best QB on our roster?  That is the guy who starts.  The coaches decided that Drew is the best QB on our roster, I agree.  If they listened to the legions of posters here, they would have benched Drew 7 weeks ago and that Pitt game would have been meaningless because we would have gone into it at 5-10.

As for next year, I will again take the ludicrous position of starting the best QB on our roster.  Since Drew spent this season getting us within a Josh Reed offensive pass interference call from getting into the playoffs and since JP spent the better part of the year wearing a track suit and carrying a clip board, I am thinking Drew might start next year.  If JP demonstrates to the coaches that he is the best QB on the roster, great.  Is that so hard to understand?

While we are on the subject of crucifying Bledsoe for yesterday, lets be consistent and trash everyone who had a major screw up.  Here are they guys I guess we should release immediately based on TBD logic:

Clements:  He fumbled a punt.  Cut him.

Jennings:  Missed blocks on critical plays leading to sacks/disasters.  Cut him.

S.Williams: Fumbled that pitch on 3rd and 1.  Cut him.

Lindell:  Missed that FG. Cut him.

Tom Clements:  lousy scared game plan, nothing deep.  Fire him.

Adams: was off sides on that long Pitt. drive when we had stopped them. Cut him.

Everybody who blew a coverage on Randle El:  Cut all of them.

Moulds: dropped two passes.  Cut him.

Fletcher: missed Parker on that long run. PI on that long pass.  Cut him.

Reed: dropped a pass, intereference call killed a drive.  Cut him.

Moorman: Shanked about 7 punts.  Cut him.

Trafford: crack back penalty cost us a first down after Spikes int.  Cut him.

McGee: dropped a sure pick that would have been 6 points.  Cut him.

That's a start anyway.  I know it seems harsh but when you miss the playoffs by 5 points, it is time for a major house cleaning, right?

190661[/snapback]

The problem with that assessment is that sometimes you have to go with the guy who gives you the best chance to win, not now but in the future. If you always start "the best quarterback" then hardly any rookie quarterbacks will come through as they are almost always going to be worse than a solid vet at first. I think the key consideration has to be whether this team is ever going to achieve anything with Bledsoe as the qb and, as far as I can see, all the evidence suggests not. For most of yesterdays game he looked like a disaster waiting to happen and could easily have thrown more interceptions than he actually did. Can you honestly see the Bills going to the superbowl or deep into the playoffs with Bledsoe? I can't and, given that, it's only prudent to start looking for alternatives. Maybe Losman isn't the answer, but we don't know that for sure yet. With Bledsoe we already know he isn't.

The problem with that assessment is that sometimes you have to go with the guy who gives you the best chance to win, not now but in the future. If you always start "the best quarterback" then hardly any rookie quarterbacks will come through as they are almost always going to be worse than a solid vet at first. I think the key consideration has to be whether this team is ever going to achieve anything with Bledsoe as the qb and, as far as I can see, all the evidence suggests not. For most of yesterdays game he looked like a disaster waiting to happen and could easily have thrown more interceptions than he actually did. Can you honestly see the Bills going to the superbowl or deep into the playoffs with Bledsoe? I can't and, given that, it's only prudent to start looking for alternatives. Maybe Losman isn't the answer, but we don't know that for sure yet. With Bledsoe we already know he isn't.

190710[/snapback]

I disagree. Starting a rookie when your team stinks is one thing, starting a rookie when the guy you got took you to the brink is another thing entirely. People tend to look at the QB position as a saviour, the be all and end all of a team's potential. They therefore have unreasonable expectations when it comes to a QB's performance and they focus on him with a microscope while at the same time giving the rest of the team a pass.

We lost that game because we made many, many mistakes. A few were Drew's fault but most were not. Take away Nate's fumble, Josh's interference call or the missed FG and maybe we are here talking about the amazing resurrection of Drew Bledsoe, getting his team into the playoffs after an 0-4 start. Look at how many times we ran on first and got bupkus. That set us up for real problems on offense, it has all year. We are trying to be a power running team but we lack the power to run with consistent success against teams playing the run which they all do on first down.

If we were in an extended rebuild phase, fine, utterly waste the entire regular season using it as an extended pre-season for JP Losman. However, if you think this team can make the playoffs and after just missing this year I think that is the case, you start the best guy on the roster.

Just my feelings.

Drew is HOT or COLD. You never know which one will show up on Sunday.

Why do you always but all the blame on him? Did Fletcher not make stupid penalties again? Did Moulds not drop several balls again? Did Josh get called for a pick on a vital play? Not to mention the blitz not being picked up and allowing sacks. I agree the Drew is not Jim Kelly but he does remind me of Jim last year here when people were calling for his head.

I really think Drew will be back but will have to redo his contract again.

I think Jennings will be the one who is gone because he does not stay healthy for the whole year. Pat W. Wants to stay and if he will accept a lower pay than offered elsewhere he will be a Bill.

Just my feelings.

Drew is HOT or COLD. You never know which one will show up on Sunday.

Why do you always but all the blame on him? Did Fletcher not make stupid penalties again? Did Moulds not drop several balls again? Did Josh get called for a pick on a vital play? Not to mention the blitz not being picked up and allowing sacks.  I agree the Drew is not Jim Kelly but he does remind me of Jim last year here when people were calling for his head.

I really think Drew will be back but will have to redo his contract again.

I think Jennings will be the one who is gone because he does not stay healthy for the whole year. Pat W. Wants to stay and if he will accept a lower pay than offered elsewhere he will be a Bill.

192393[/snapback]

Outstanding post ! :)