Where this "D" stacks-up against historical stats through 7 we

SoggyHog

I had some time to kill, so I thought I'd look at how bad this defense really is. Through the first 7 weeks of the regular season, this is where they rank against all 32 teams since the merger: (keep in mind, just through 7 weeks)

Points allowed: 227

Passing yards allowed: 1731

Passing TD's allowed: 14

Rushing yds allowed: 1238

Rushing avg. allowed: 5.95

Rank: WORST EVER! Since 1940 only 3 teams had a worse avg.

Rushing TD's allowed: 13

Total yards allowed: 2969

**Also, the only team to allow 300 yards passing and 300 yards rushing in the same game: 2012 Buffalo Bills **

I did some on Chan Gailey too since taking over as headcoach for the Bills:

Overall record: 13-26

Record against teams with winning records: 2-15

Record against teams when the opponent scored first: 6-18

Record against Conference teams: 5-13

Record against Division teams: 2-12

Home record: 8-11

Road record: 5-15

So, there ya have it. Our Buffalo Bills defense. If you can find more, post it here. I'd love to see it.

http://www.pro-footb.../tgl_finder.cgi

Edited by SoggyHog

Also, since Gailey took over:

30 or more rush attempts per game: 8-3 73%

30 or less rush attempts per game: 5-23 18%

30 or more pass attempts per game: 5-20 20%

30 or less pass attempts per game: 8-8 50%

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........

p.s. I know the pass attempts stat implies the record is 13-28, but I'm too tired to try and figure it out right now.

Solid stats, Soggy!

The rush attempts record (30 rush attempts or more, we're 8-3) makes me think we're on the right track with Woods and Levitre. I've watched film on most of Spiller's runs in particular, and the long runs are Woods-Levitre. Urbik's good, too; he's just not in there, and Cordy's high potential, and not in there. The run game going forward will be solid; I'll change my mock draft (LT Oday Aboushi in RD1) soon!!!

Solid stats, Soggy!

The rush attempts record (30 rush attempts or more, we're 8-3) makes me think we're on the right track with Woods and Levitre. I've watched film on most of Spiller's runs in particular, and the long runs are Woods-Levitre. Urbik's good, too; he's just not in there, and Cordy's high potential, and not in there. The run game going forward will be solid; I'll change my mock draft (LT Oday Aboushi in RD1) soon!!!

Agreed. We need to draft a lineman early. I am more worried about this line then I am about WR's at this point.

Thanks Astro. Follow a lot of your posts. The offensive stats scare me. I mean, they don't lie other than garbage time stats. It makes me think that Gailey knows that Fitz is not his QB, as he can't throw deep, and running the ball only brings more "beef-in-the-box" so the only pass offense is what we see. Screens, dumps ect. I wonder if he knows we can't beat them deep so running the ball to bring the Safeties up is moot. In Gailey's mind, spreading the offense keeps the defense honest so we can run the ball. What do you think?

Also, since Gailey took over:

30 or more rush attempts per game: 8-3 73%

30 or less rush attempts per game: 5-23 18%

30 or more pass attempts per game: 5-20 20%

30 or less pass attempts per game: 8-8 50%

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........

One thing to bear in mind with this, is that most teams tend to pass more and move away from the run when they're behind, especially seriously behind.

This is a situation in which the Bills have often found themselves, and Gailey IMO moves away from the run further and faster than needed.

So it's fair to ask "correlation or causation", in other words, do the Bills lose because they pass more than 30 times a game, or do the Bills pass more because they're losing, and trying to come from behind? (in which case the next step would be to say, try another way to come from behind, like maybe keep running).

Thanks Astro. Follow a lot of your posts. The offensive stats scare me. I mean, they don't lie other than garbage time stats.

They don't lie, but the story they tell may not be the story you think they're telling