This is why players hate the franchise tag and want the big signing bo

http://www.cbssports...achilles-tendon

You can hate on these guys holding out all you want but this guy just got screwed. He was playing under the franchise tag which means no signing bonus and no guarantteed money next year.

Yeah, as much as we hate situations like Mario Williams who is now clearly not performing to his contract (yet?), when looking across the league the players have to make sure they get get their chance to be paid. If you weren't a 1st round draft pick, then you possibly have just one shot at a big contract and the player has to make it count.

Way back in the mid-'90s the Bills drafted 2 CBs; Marlon Kerner (3rd) and Ken Irvin (4th). As rookies both played well, even started some games due to injuries to others and looked they they would be good picks with a future. Kerner was the better player and the first back-up in the game. In his 3rd year he went down with an ACL injury, came back from it and they had another ACL that wiped out his next year.... he was done and clearly never got paid beyond his initial contract. Irvin stepped in, did well, never got hurt and ended up scoring a good contract once his initial one was up and went on to have a decent career. He wasn't a superstar, but a solid starter who never got hurt and ended up getting paid.

http://www.cbssports...achilles-tendon

You can hate on these guys holding out all you want but this guy just got screwed. He was playing under the franchise tag which means no signing bonus and no guarantteed money next year.

I don't begrudge anyone in the NFL their contracts. Get it while and if you can because the teams throw you out the minute you can't perform anymore for any reason. And the NFL pension plan only kicks in if you are on a roster for 5 years I believe.

Well, it's also his fault for taking that gamble not to sign for whatever was offered and hoping to cash in for even bigger after this season.

He just lost the gamble.

Exactly. This guy didn't get "screwed" in any way. He had several choices: sign a contract, accept the franchise tag or hold out. He made his choice. That's hardly "screwed".

I don't begrudge anyone in the NFL their contracts. Get it while and if you can because the teams throw you out the minute you can't perform anymore for any reason. And the NFL pension plan only kicks in if you are on a roster for 5 years I believe.

Ha! Really?? Then why is Troup still on this team?