Public Service Announcement from the Resident Focker

ajzepp

I cut Pepsi out of my diet for a short period this summer. (a couple months) Walked after work everyday with my sister.. ended up dropping 20 lbs. Then, in June, I was diagnosed with CLL and the diet thing didn't seem too important anymore. So, when I eventually got my appetite back, I ended up going back to drinking soda and all the other garbage I loved when I was heavier, in an effort to gain a little weight back. (I was 275 lbs. about 18 months ago, dropped to 200 lbs.. now weigh approx. 210 lbs.)

I plan to go back to my water only diet, and start to lift weights as soon as my doctors give me the go ahead. Got alot of loose skin I plan to fill with muscle, this time around.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cut Pepsi out of my diet for a short period this summer. (a couple months) Walked after work everyday with my sister.. ended up dropping 20 lbs. Then, in June, I was diagnosed with CLL and the diet thing didn't seem too important anymore. So, when I eventually got my appetite back, I ended up going back to drinking soda and all the other garbage I loved when I was heavier, in an effort to gain a little weight back. (I was 275 lbs. about 18 months ago, dropped to 200 lbs.. now weigh approx. 210 lbs.)

I plan to go back to my water only diet, and start to lift weights as soon as my doctors give me the go ahead. Got alot of loose skin I plan to fill with muscle, this time around.

Dang man, sorry to hear that you're going through all of that...

How about wine?

Last I knew the research was still that up to two drinks a night had health benefits...I may be outdated on the research, though!

Whats CLL?

Good thread, luckily I have always been rather thin and healthy although I do smoke and lately have been developing a chronic cough. But I have always drank a lot of water never much soda or pop as you wnyers like to call it. I did used to use it (coke or pepsi) to clean chrome though, works great for that. It is really a bit hard to eat healthy here in Thailand, Asia is right behind the States in finding crappy cheap food to eat. And Quester74 prayers with you man, I had family with CLL. Eat as good as you can and the healthier the better.

One of my soccer referee buddies tore a calf muscle and the Doc hinted that a prt of the tear

was due to a lack of hydration. (Stretching too). So our buddy send a mass email to the

referee crew and suggested we all increase H2O consumption. Alas coffee does not count.

I make a strong effort to increase H2O consumption on game day. I have 4 more matches to go.

And on another forum a friend upped his walking and H2O and has dropped 120 lbs.

Since Jan 2011.

Dang man, sorry to hear that you're going through all of that.

Thanks, AJ..

It really hasn't been too bad.. the first month was a bit of a B word, but since then I have felt pretty good. The doctors and nurses are all shocked that I have taken to the Chemo and Immunotherepy so well. (No side effects to either.) Two weeks ago I went in for CT Scans and my 4th cycle of Chemo, and was told by my oncologist that while he's not ready to use the word "remission" yet, it is "the most remarkable improvement he has ever seen." So, there is plenty of optimism. :thumbsup:

Thanks, AJ..

It really hasn't been too bad.. the first month was a bit of a B word, but since then I have felt pretty good. The doctors and nurses are all shocked that I have taken to the Chemo and Immunotherepy so well. (No side effects to either.) Two weeks ago I went in for CT Scans and my 4th cycle of Chemo, and was told by my oncologist that while he's not ready to use the word "remission" yet, it is "the most remarkable improvement he has ever seen." So, there is plenty of optimism. :thumbsup:

Hell yea!! I love hearing that!

One of my soccer referee buddies tore a calf muscle and the Doc hinted that a prt of the tear

was due to a lack of hydration. (Stretching too). So our buddy send a mass email to the

referee crew and suggested we all increase H2O consumption. Alas coffee does not count.

I make a strong effort to increase H2O consumption on game day. I have 4 more matches to go.

And on another forum a friend upped his walking and H2O and has dropped 120 lbs.

Since Jan 2011.

I hate to say it, but that's about what I"m looking at, myself. I've always been a big guy, but big "muscular", not chubby. My fighting weight is about 220lb and I'm 6'2". I've been down as low as 205-210lb, about ten years ago, but it was hard for me to tolerate my workouts at that weight and it just didn't feel right. Once I lost sight of being a gym rat and hurt my back, the pounds just gradually showed up....the last two years have been the worst, so that's why it was a wake up call for me at my MD appt last week.

I've had a great first week of water consumption, though....and have even thrown in some salads lol. I still can't get over how much different my appetite is and how healthier foods have completely regained their appeal to me. Water is amazing....

It's funny cause at the latter part of last week, when I got to work in the morning the first thing my body wanted was some hydration. Thankfully we have a really nice filtration system at work that provides chilled water, so I just keep going back and filling up my water bottle. But it was as if I could feel my body wanting a cup or two of water to hydrate in lieu of having a cup of coffee to wake up lol.

Going to start tonight. No more diet ice tea at work. Most times I drink water during the day. Just need to drink more. Had 1 bottle on the way back from Buffalo.

Awesome! I hope we can hear updates from time to time on how everyone is doing....I'll definitely try to chime in, as well.

there was a similar thread a couple years ago and some of us were 'mocked' for the 'struggle' of giving up carbonated drinks. glad others have been able to eliminate pop from your diet. My pop consumption has decreased to almost none...i replaced it with some of that zero calorie sparkling flavored water from grocery stores. I have since cut that out and drink water non-stop during the day....it really does make a difference. keep it up!

I was in the same boat as you about 4 years ago (at the age of 35). I used to drink 5-6 sodas (the 20oz kind) a day. Hell, I'd have a Mountain Dew for breakfast. When I hit the 200lb mark I decided to make a change. I got rid of all soda and started drinking only water (and carbonated water - which I love) with the exception of a night out drinking a few times a month. I did this and started exercising 5 times a week (3 days of weights, 2 days cardio) for about 45 min. Without changing my diet too much (other than the sodas) I lost 40lbs in under a year and have kept it off to this day.

So stick with it, only good things can happen. Once you get into a routine it becomes much easier than you'd think starting out. I don't miss the sodas at all now and when I crave something to drink it's usually Pelegrino. You train your body what to crave, it just takes a little time.

Good luck!

there was a similar thread a couple years ago and some of us were 'mocked' for the 'struggle' of giving up carbonated drinks. glad others have been able to eliminate pop from your diet. My pop consumption has decreased to almost none...i replaced it with some of that zero calorie sparkling flavored water from grocery stores. I have since cut that out and drink water non-stop during the day....it really does make a difference. keep it up!

Coke... is a HELL of a drug!!!

But seriously, that sugar and caffeine combo? More addictive than heroin.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2008-12-12/entertainment/17912875_1_sugar-dopamine-sweet-addiction

People can laugh and mock this all they want. It is a struggle. The note's worked so far! And I gave the chair away this afternoon, so I'll be getting an exercise mat (tile floor in the basement) and that's going to become my Crunch Corner, and I'll get a few dumbbells. Nothing fancy or outlandish. I really don't need to lose pounds --- just need to tone up what I've got.

Thanks, AJ..

Where are you getting treatment, and are you a candidate for clinical trials?

Where are you getting treatment, and are you a candidate for clinical trials?

Getting treatment at the Lipson Cancer Center is Penfield and the clinic at Rochester General Hospital.

If I'm a candidate for any sort of clinical trials.. no one has said a word to me about it. <shrug>

Thanks, AJ..

This isawesome! Nothing but positve thoughts from Richmond VA,

Hell yea!! I love hearing that!

I hate to say it, but that's about what I"m looking at, myself. I've always been a big guy, but big "muscular", not chubby. My fighting weight is about 220lb and I'm 6'2". I've been down as low as 205-210lb, about ten years ago, but it was hard for me to tolerate my workouts at that weight and it just didn't feel right. Once I lost sight of being a gym rat and hurt my back, the pounds just gradually showed up....the last two years have been the worst, so that's why it was a wake up call for me at my MD appt last week.

I've had a great first week of water consumption, though....and have even thrown in some salads lol. I still can't get over how much different my appetite is and how healthier foods have completely regained their appeal to me. Water is amazing....

It's funny cause at the latter part of last week, when I got to work in the morning the first thing my body wanted was some hydration. Thankfully we have a really nice filtration system at work that provides chilled water, so I just keep going back and filling up my water bottle. But it was as if I could feel my body wanting a cup or two of water to hydrate in lieu of having a cup of coffee to wake up lol.

With honey mustard dressing?? :lol::D

Actually, I read somewhere that drinking about 8-10 oz of water right after you wake up is supposed to cleanse your body of all the toxins. Not sure if that's true or not but doesn't hurt to have an excuse to drink more water. :thumbsup:

Getting treatment at the Lipson Cancer Center is Penfield and the clinic at Rochester General Hospital.

If I'm a candidate for any sort of clinical trials.. no one has said a word to me about it. <shrug>

Most oncologists won't mention it. They've said "I do traditional chemo and radiation that's it". I do know OHSU in Portland Or. is involved in CLL clinical trials. Also, the hospital/clinic in Houston ( I don't have the name in front of me). Has announced a 300 BILLION dollar commitment to curing 6 types of cancer by 2020. CLL is one of them. They will do trials, and I believe they already are.

The problem with CLL is having to do the homework yourself. If your up to it, try and look some alternatives up on the internet, it can't hurt.

With honey mustard dressing?? :lol::D

Actually, I read somewhere that drinking about 8-10 oz of water right after you wake up is supposed to cleanse your body of all the toxins. Not sure if that's true or not but doesn't hurt to have an excuse to drink more water. :thumbsup:

lol, I still thought that was hilarious with the honey mustard...I love it on chicken fingers, but I could never bring myself to put it on my salad! lol

With my CPAP use, I dehydrate a bit overnight, so I think my body really craves that hydration in the morning to get back to where it should be. I think the whole "toxins" thing is overblown, personally, but I support it in the sense that our bodies function far better when they are hydrated,

• 2 weeks later...