Public Service Announcement from the Resident Focker

ajzepp

Guys, I know you all know this, but DRINK YOUR WATER!!! I don't care if you don't like it....just DRINK IT!!!!

I don't know how many of you know this about RNs (and other health professionals), but we tend to be the "do as I say, not as I do" types, and we're often the worst patients on earth. As I've battled some severe back issues over the past 5-6 years, my health has really taken a turn for the worse. It pretty much came to a head on Monday when I went for my first post-40 physical. When I saw my weight, I nearly hit the floor. I've become a sedentary, overweight, under-hydrated, under-nourished, unhealthy son of a gun. On Monday I decided to start making some changes, and one of the first ones I made was to drink water and to dramatically reduce my intake of pop. I was consuming nearly 1000 calories A DAY in pop....mostly Coke...and this left my body in a state of chronic dehydration. As a result, I was falsely hungry and constantly overeating. Because of the pain, I gained a lot of weight....which resulted in less activity and even more weight gain.

Well, it's been five days and the changes are drastic, even for a professionally educated RN! I've had a ton more energy....I feel like i've flushed my system of a bunch of bloat and bulk that gave me that "bogged down" feeling....my appetite has been reduced dramatically, to the point where many "cravings" that existed before have already been completely eliminated....and all of a sudden I'm much more interested in making healthier choices. In short, I feel like I did back in my 20s when I was actively into fitness and bodybuilding. I've been an athlete my entire life, and my body knows it's NOT supposed to be like this! Well, cutting out the pop and replacing it with water has been the most amazing decision I've made in years....and I'm not EVER going back!

I'm sure many of you who are younger or in great shape won't appreciate the gravity of what I'm saying here, or it just won't make that much difference to you at this time. The benefits of hydration are made aware to us from the time we're in grade school for gosh sakes. I'm saying this more for those of you who are either in a similar situation as myself, or who can feel themselves maybe starting to travel down that road. If you're drinking all those empty calories and taking in all that sugar you get from pop, and you aren't making an effort to drink you minimum of 64oz of water per day, PLEASE consider giving it a try. You might find that you're amazed at the changes! I won't lie, the first couple days are really tough. You can feel your body saying a big "wtf", but once you come out the other side it's glorious!!!

DRINK THAT WATER, BOYS AND GIRLS!!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing Race here we come!!

I had been drinking soda quite a lot. I mean, you go to Sam's, get a whole case and you're like, welp, let's get crack in' and use this up. Used to drink a 20 oz. every day during college that was often my only calories of the day until ~ 4 p.m. I know. I know. Still eat like a bird during the daylight hours but have gotten a little pudge in the abs. (Then again, most people would still call me "Slim".) Metabolism has slowed down a bit, and I've probably been cooking too much of the comfort food for awhile... but scalloped potatoes are so friggin good! Am almost always moving tho.

But yeah. Have cut way back on my Coke habit. More water, more juice especially cran which my uncle who had prostate cancer recommended because of what he was told/read. Also have the memories of Fundamentals of Nutrition class rumbling around in my head (most useful class ever). Otherwise, I do a garden every year ~ 8'x30' and get a good yield. So, you know, the fundamentals are there. Just need to practice more frequently and I need to start doing some sit-ups/crunches. We're moving a chair out of the finished basement and I think I'm going to do a little exercise area there.

Have had a bit of a shock the past couple of weeks with my mum having stomach cancer. Small, operable. Her thing has always been sitting/resting/sleeping most of her time outside of work, sweets --- chocolate milk, midnight ice cream raids after she wouldn't eat the healthy food on her plate, candy.... History of diabetes on her side, too, and so it's like killing herself. And now, after this is done and it's outta her, it can go one of two ways. Either right back to it, or some wholesale change. A lot less red meat, pretty much cutting it out. More fruits/veg than we've been doing. Maybe auditing a nutrition class at the U so she can hear it from someone besides me that a 30 minute walk does not negate that cake and ice cream.

Anyway, I've been rambling for awhile. Just kind of venting some thoughts here. Sorry.

ramble on, brother! I think it's great to talk about this stuff....really sorry about your mom, though...I hope she's able to knock that cancer out and make those changes you referred to...I work with diabetic seniors for a living, so feel free to PM if I can ever be of help.

And I haven't forgotten about the amazing race thing...truly, I think it would be a great story if we could do that!

Theres water in beer right?

And other healthy stuff like barley, drink up!

Yeah, soda is pretty gross. Other than once in a while if there is no beer available (pizza lunch at work), I've rarely touched the stuff since high school.

And other healthy stuff like barley, drink up!

Yeah, soda is pretty gross. Other than once in a while if there is no beer available (pizza lunch at work), I've rarely touched the stuff since high school.

Not just calorically. I was kind of scared straight at the dentist. Terrible for the teeth, and when you get into that, it's not just 'Ooo, I gained some pounds and soda empty calories are a good part of it.' It's Dentist Bills in the hundreds of $ that is pretty directly related to the sugar acids eating away at your enamel and making it easier for cavities to form. I'm making a concerted effort to lay off the stuff other than like a once a week treat. In fact, I'm going to be making a tag for our remaining soda fridge pack that reads: "Unless it's dentist bills you seek, don't drink me but once a week!" Yeah... I'm doing that right now.

I normally have really good willpower and temptation resistance, but the Coke habit is tough to break.

Not just calorically. I was kind of scared straight at the dentist. Terrible for the teeth, and when you get into that, it's not just 'Ooo, I gained some pounds and soda empty calories are a good part of it.' It's Dentist Bills in the hundreds of $ that is pretty directly related to the sugar acids eating away at your enamel and making it easier for cavities to form. I'm making a concerted effort to lay off the stuff other than like a once a week treat. In fact, I'm going to be making a tag for our remaining soda fridge pack that reads: "Unless it's dentist bills you seek, don't drink me but once a week!" Yeah... I'm doing that right now.

I normally have really good willpower and temptation resistance, but the Coke habit is tough to break.

:lol:

Zep, I have a question. I hardly drink soda (anymore), but is it possible to drink too much water? If so how do you know you're drinking too much (water)?

It's pretty tough to do that if your kidneys are healthy and you're not making a conscious effort to do it. Your body will regulate your hydration. But can you do it? Sure you can....it's called water toxicity. It's also possible to do that during periods of exertion when you don't replenish electrolytes appropriately. What usually happens there is your water levels dilute your electrolyte concentrations, which can knock them out of their normal range and cause issues with cramping, or even something serious like cognitive changes or heart dysrhythmias. But as far as just normal efforts to hydrate throughout the day, it's not really a concern.

This is so awesome to hear! Keep it up or I'll be after you! You have some tennis to play!! Oh and and an Amazing Race game to play. :-D

:thumbsup:

It's pretty tough to do that if your kidneys are healthy and you're not making a conscious effort to do it. Your body will regulate your hydration. But can you do it? Sure you can....it's called water toxicity. It's also possible to do that during periods of exertion when you don't replenish electrolytes appropriately. What usually happens there is your water levels dilute your electrolyte concentrations, which can knock them out of their normal range and cause issues with cramping, or even something serious like cognitive changes or heart dysrhythmias. But as far as just normal efforts to hydrate throughout the day, it's not really a concern.

Thanks Zep! Appreciate it!

Thanks Zep! Appreciate it!

Anytime, man! I hope I can have as much success knocking down the soda as you have had!