Why so many missed tackles?

HelloNewman

Why does this team miss so many tackles? One of the articles on the home page mentions why we are ranked dead last against the run; Chan says it is because the defenses are getting beat off the edge faster and we are missing tackles.

So what is the cause of so many missed tackles? Poor conditioning? Fear of injury? Lack of talent? Tired due to being out on the field too long? Coaches not teaching them how to tackle properly? Lack of intensity?

What are you doing in the NFL if you cannot tackle. Last person I personally saw tackle well is Antoine Winfield.

Please help me understand. Thanks.

Because their LB's aren't very good. On the OP list that corresponds to "lack of talent".

It's the LB's that you want making most of your tackles, the LB's that are supposed to be the best tacklers, and the LB's that are without question the weak unit on the Bills defense. Barnett has had a good career but has clearly lost something with age. Sheppard is limited. Scott is a strong safety playing LB. Moats is a DE playing LB.

Bradham shows some promise but he is also a rookie 4th round pick who hasn't played a full game's worth of defensive unit football yet in the NFL.

Edited by BobChalmers

Too much time in camp trying to determine who to keep and not enough time spent tackling. Due to the NFLPA you can not practice with pads but once a week _SOME_ weeks.

By that logic, every team in the NFL would be having tackling issues.

Because their LB's aren't very good.

I think this is close to the mark.

By that logic, every team in the NFL would be having tackling issues.

I think this is close to the mark.

I think poor tackling is a league wide issue. You see guys whiffing game after game no matter who is playing.

I think it has more to do with discipline, and or the lack of it. Its also why the players are out of their gaps.

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but again it all comes down to coaching.

There is a reason the Bills are 31st in total defense, last against the run. Yet, they have so many high round draft picks on that defense.

The talent is there, the discipline is not. >> @ wannstooge :thumbdown:

Why does this team miss so many tackles? One of the articles on the home page mentions why we are ranked dead last against the run; Chan says it is because the defenses are getting beat off the edge faster and we are missing tackles.

So what is the cause of so many missed tackles? Poor conditioning? Fear of injury? Lack of talent? Tired due to being out on the field too long? Coaches not teaching them how to tackle properly? Lack of intensity?

What are you doing in the NFL if you cannot tackle. Last person I personally saw tackle well is Antoine Winfield.

Please help me understand. Thanks.

The difference between making and missing a play in the NFL is typically fractions of a second.

Whether those fractions of a second are due to needing more time to read/react to the play (underprepared), to being out of position (badly coached?), or to being slow (out of condition or not NFL-quality), can't tell you.

The other issue for our LB is that the DL in a 4-3 is supposed to keep the blockers off the LB so the LB don't have to fight off an OLman before they can get to the play. This has not been working.

I think you may be a little picky on your definition of "tackle well" if Winfield was the last good tackler you saw.

Barnett has had a good career but has clearly lost something with age.

Barnett is being asked to play seriously out of position. He has been a 4-3 then 3-4 MLB for most of his career with GB. He played 3-4 MLB here last year. This is the first time ever in his career he's been asked to play WLB and make tackles in space, and it hasn't been smooth sailing.

It's hard to tell if that's because he's lost something or because he's struggling with the transition.

There are also clearly scheme issues - Barnett should NOT be asked to cover Fitzgerald, ever.

I think it has more to do with discipline, and or the lack of it. Its also why the players are out of their gaps.

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but again it all comes down to coaching.

There is a reason the Bills are 31st in total defense, last against the run. Yet, they have so many high round draft picks on that defense.

The talent is there, the discipline is not. >> @ wannstooge :thumbdown:

...again - except in the LB corps, where the Bills have not very high draft picks - Sheppard as a 3rd is a part-time player. Bradham is a rookie 4th. Barnett was a modest-price FA - they paid a lot less for him than Poz went for.

Compare with the secondary where the Bills have a first and two 2nds (Byrd was a 2nd, right?) plus McKelvin as another 1st.

and the DL obviously with a #3 overall and two high-priced FA's, one of whom was the #1 overall pick.

Edited by BobChalmers

Guys are too cool to wrap up. They want the Sportscenter big hit

Actually I haven't noticed this at all on the Bills D. What I have noticed is that they appear to be trying to make a tackle AND strip the ball at the same time and it often results in neither happening.

Because their LB's aren't very good.

Exactly...And they are not very good at SS either...

If these Bills were better at the 1st guy bringing the ball carrier down, heck even slowing them down, this Defense would be WAY ahead of where they are now...They make a lot of mistakes on Defense...But to my untrained eye I would say the poor tackling is by far the biggest issue to this point...The yards after initial contact have been massive in the 3 losses especially...Once again we are stuck looking at a Defense that seemingly gets out-physical-ed...And that's mainly due to the fact that they tackle very poorly at times... B-)

The league has also placed limits on the number of full-contact padded practices during the regular season. Teams are permitted a total of 14 for the year with 11 of those practices conducted during the first 11 weeks of the season (a maximum of one per week). Tackling could suffer. Defensive coaches are worried about the prospect of shoddy tackling without full-speed contact drills on a consistent basis. Although defenders have spent years crafting their skills, the frenetic pace of the game requires players to work on proper angles and tackling fundamentals regularly. Granted, some defenses have been able to flourish without banging daily, but it's hard to replicate the tempo, aggressiveness and angle discipline needed without contact.

For all you guys saying it's because of non-contact during practices that reason might work if every team in the league were having this problem. But they're not. Sure every team misses tackles but I don't notice a increase in missed tackles across the league.