SU Hoops 2012 edition...

The Poojer

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God I am so excited...as some have said, this game could be one for the ages, either team can win this one with the confluence of their strengths and the others weaknesses coming together...chances are they won't coincide perfectly and this could be a dog fight(sorry if that offends). My biggest hope is that Triche plays the game he can play and that Keita continues his monster performances, the other players on our squad don't worry me, they have produced all season....

LET'S GO ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!

Game day! Lets go cuse!

God I am so excited...as some have said, this game could be one for the ages, either team can win this one with the confluence of their strengths and the others weaknesses coming together...chances are they won't coincide perfectly and this could be a dog fight(sorry if that offends). My biggest hope is that Triche plays the game he can play and that Keita continues his monster performances, the other players on our squad don't worry me, they have produced all season....

LET'S GO ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!

LET'S GO ORANGE

Crap! Michigan played a great game against Syracuse

I agree, but can't help but think that if at least one other player could have scored for us, we would have this one.

I am also really mad about the charge call on Triche at the end. That was the game. kinda classic way for Triche to end his career.

I agree, but can't help but think that if at least one other player could have scored for us, we would have this one.

I am also really mad about the charge call on Triche at the end. That was the game. kinda classic way for Triche to end his career.

Couldn't have said it better myself. That game was CJ Fair vs. UM on the offensive end. Southerland and MCW had what....7 points combined and Southy's 5 came in the last five minutes?

CJ is awesome. Good game sir.

The Triche charge call was awful but unfortunately not that unusual for horrible NCAAB officiating; so I can live with it even though I don't like it. The MCW foul for getting stiff-armed was the worst.

Tough loss but its easier to accept when a team over achieves.

I can't help but look ahead to next year. Who in the world is going to play in the backcourt? MCW and Triche are on their way out. The freshman PG coming in, Ennis, is supposed to be good, but the only returning guard is Cooney, and he, um, is.....underwhelming. They have another shooting guard committed.....but boy is that a thin backcourt.

As I'm typing this I just remembered they have the Duke transfer who will be eligible next season....Is he a guard? Gbinije?

CJ is awesome. Good game sir.

The Triche charge call was awful but unfortunately not that unusual for horrible NCAAB officiating; so I can live with it even though I don't like it. The MCW foul for getting stiff-armed was the worst.

Trying to come back from the hole they dug they couldn't afford those two calls down the stretch. They put themselves in the hole, but you hate to see those two calls both go against them. Add that awful last possession.... Ugh.

The fact that they even hung in a one possession game so late with how poorly they played at times was impressive though.

Trying to come back from the hole they dug they couldn't afford those two calls down the stretch. They put themselves in the hole, but you hate to see those two calls both go against them. Add that awful last possession.... Ugh.

The fact that they even hung in a one possession game so late with how poorly they played at times was impressive though.

I mean, it's sort of the "tv analyst guy" thing to say Michigan played better & 3 of our best guys barely showed up. Of course that's true.

But the sports history books are filled with games won by teams who were outplayed the majority of the game - the Marty Schottenheimer playoff losses, every Patriots game in 2001, the Mich-Kansas game in this tournament, the Cuse-Indiana game in '87, and a million others. Somehow I don't think the fans of teams who won those games lose much sleep over it. It'd have been nice to get a fair opportunity at the end like they did.

What I don't get this all this talk about how Michigan figured out the zone. I think they looked lost out there for about 80 percent of that game. McGary had some early success but then disappeared.

They won that game because they got some critical offensive rebounds and made killer contested three's (some from over 25 feet away).

they absolutely did not figure out the zone...unless 25 foot 3's are figuring it out...mcgary was awesome...michigan played a killer man-to-man defense which stymied syracuse, save CJ...michigan scored 25 points in the second half, that doesn't indicate figuring much out....

What I don't get this all this talk about how Michigan figured out the zone. I think they looked lost out there for about 80 percent of that game. McGary had some early success but then disappeared.

They won that game because they got some critical offensive rebounds and made killer contested three's (some from over 25 feet away).

Tough loss but its easier to accept when a team over achieves.

I can't help but look ahead to next year. Who in the world is going to play in the backcourt? MCW and Triche are on their way out. The freshman PG coming in, Ennis, is supposed to be good, but the only returning guard is Cooney, and he, um, is.....underwhelming. They have another shooting guard committed.....but boy is that a thin backcourt.

As I'm typing this I just remembered they have the Duke transfer who will be eligible next season....Is he a guard? Gbinije?

Michael "silent G" Gbinije is more of a small forward, but IMO will most likely earn the starting nod over Cooney at the 2 due to his athleticism, shooting ability, and ability to create off the dribble. He's 6'7" with a pretty good handle and a good shot. He's tremendously athletic too...loves to run the floor and plays above the rim. With Ennis, Gbinije, the freshman Patterson (think Paul Harris with a jump shot), and Cooney...I think we will be solid at the guard position.

I know it's a bit early, but here is how I project the starting 5 early in the season...

Ennis, Gbinije, Fair, Grant, Christmas (I think DC2 makes strides and eventually steals away playing time from Xmas). Cooney, the frosh Tyler Roberson, and Keita will all see minutes off the bench.

Here's a little taste of Gbijine.

Gbinije looks like the real deal, but I think the key is Ennis. Basically if he doesn't pan out into a reliable PG, we are screwed.

I actually have a feeling that our entire offense will run through our bigs, with fair and Coleman (yes, Coleman!) being our leading scorers.

By the way, I am basically writing cooney off. you can just tell-- he'll never be more than a 10 minute guy.

Gbinije looks like the real deal, but I think the key is Ennis. Basically if he doesn't pan out into a reliable PG, we are screwed.

I actually have a feeling that our entire offense will run through our bigs, with fair and Coleman (yes, Coleman!) being our leading scorers.

By the way, I am basically writing cooney off. you can just tell-- he'll never be more than a 10 minute guy.

Ennis is definitely the key, as we will not have another "go-to" ball handler amongst the guards. I don't know about our offense running through our bigs, but I agree (or at least I'm hopeful) that DC2 will make strides and contribute on offense. I guess I don't consider Fair to be one of our "bigs," but I see him as being an integral part of our offense.

I have watched Ennis several times this year, including yesterday's high school national championship game, and he appears to be the real deal. Obviously a phenominal ball-handler and creator with the dribble penetration, but he has something that MCW was lacking...a silky smooth jumper. He is smaller than MCW, however, so we will lose that length at the top of the zone. Also, Ennis is not as aggressive defensively as MCW, so he probably won't be getting as many steals. Ennis has played through a nagging shoulder sprain for much of the season. He's a tough SOB though...plays right through the pain. He's the type of player who wants the ball in his hands in key moments. Has ice water in his veins.

One freshman who is I see sneaking in and making an impact is 6'8" forward Tyler Roberson. His nickname is "the beast" and he plays like one. Regarded as a tremendous defender and rebounder, Tyler actually has pretty well developed post moves and is a consistent mid-range shooter. Scouts believe he still will grow a couple inches, and with some time in the weight room, could be a viable power forward. Next season, I could see him getting some minutes spelling CJ Fair.

Here's Tyler "the beast" Roberson: