Bucky Gleason's latest

Let me preface by saying I love Sullivan, but now I must know how Sully haters feel with when they complain about his cynicism and negativity.

I've never read a more negative column. He really went too far by criticizing Gailey for being excited about the win. The guy works 100+ hours a week and he can't be excited about a victory!? Would you rather have Dick Jauron, who was a zombie win lose or draw? No, you'd rather have him be a humorless jerk like Belichick, who shows nothing but negative, condescending emotion and who is an absolute jerk to the media. We've seen plenty of successful coaches (Ryan, Harbaugh, for instance) who get really amped up after any victory. Go away, Bucky. You're a sorry substitute for, and inferior to, Sullivan.

http://buffalonews.c.../121019443/1004

Let me preface by saying I love Sullivan, but now I must know how Sully haters feel with when they complain about his cynicism and negativity.

I've never read a more negative column. He really went too far by criticizing Gailey for being excited about the win. The guy works 100+ hours a week and he can't be excited about a victory!? Would you rather have Dick Jauron, who was a zombie win lose or draw? No, you'd rather have him be a humorless jerk like Belichick, who shows nothing but negative, condescending emotion and who is an absolute jerk to the media. We've seen plenty of successful coaches (Ryan, Harbaugh, for instance) who get really amped up after any victory. Go away, Bucky. You're a sorry substitute for, and inferior to, Sullivan.

http://buffalonews.c.../121019443/1004

Yep, got to agree on that article. It's fine to criticize some of the playcalling and to point out questionmarks on the team - there's plenty to criticize and question. And I am a harsh critic of Gailey right now. But it's overwhelmingly dumb to criticize the head coach for celebrating a victory and praising the team for winning and yeah, if Gailey wants to drink a bottle of bubbly on the flight home, he's entitled as long as the effects wear off by Monday. "Put on your big girl panties and deal", Bucky.

And while you're dealing, go read some stuff on effective motivation. "Praise every improvement, however small" is a pretty standard tenet.

Can't agree with you on liking Sullivan, and you're spot-on, this genre of column is exactly why some of us find him under-whelming or dislike him.

Edited by Hopeful

We just had a team blow a 24 pt lead in 17 minutes..and that team is 3-3, just like the Bills. Are the Bills the worst team in the NFL? Hardly. Every team has flaws and brain farts.

Bucky is just trying to channel his inner Sully. It's a formula.

PTR

The article is spot on.

The Dolphins lost their first game by 20 points and then the other two in OT.

...I honestly don't think we are better than them. I am not saying we are worse (yet), but stay tuned.

Feh! Spinning stats to make the worst possible point. Bucky, last season, declared without reservation that Darcy Regier was the worst GM in the NHL right before he stole a #1 pick from Nashville at the trade deadline.

PTR

Totally don't understand your comments. What did Bucky Gleason say that was incorrect? The Bills are a mess. Yes. They won on Sunday, but the QB play as well as the coaching has been horrid this year. Does anyone really think that this team is making progress. I actually think they have a lot of talent to work with. But they need better coaching and a decent QB before I can take them seriously, and who knows when those things will actually be realized. Until they get a QB who can make all of the throws and a coaching staff that knows how to coach, they will fumble along. Maybe they win 6-7 games this year, but only because there are worse teams out there. They have shown they cannot play with upper echelon teams. Defenses have an easy time defending the Bills since there is no threat of a deep pass and they continue to run a horizontal passing game. You saw it on Sunday with the SS playing at the line of scrimmage all day. It makes the whole offense worse because the lack of a decent passing game ultimately compromises the running game as well. We'll see what happens the rest of the year, but until they get a real QB, this team will continue to be below average to poor and my expectations will be the same.

Totally don't understand your comments. What did Bucky Gleason say that was incorrect? The Bills are a mess. Yes. They won on Sunday, but the QB play as well as the coaching has been horrid this year. Does anyone really think that this team is making progress. I actually think they have a lot of talent to work with. But they need better coaching and a decent QB before I can take them seriously, and who knows when those things will actually be realized. Until they get a QB who can make all of the throws and a coaching staff that knows how to coach, they will fumble along. Maybe they win 6-7 games this year, but only because there are worse teams out there. They have shown they cannot play with upper echelon teams. Defenses have an easy time defending the Bills since there is no threat of a deep pass and they continue to run a horizontal passing game. You saw it on Sunday with the SS playing at the line of scrimmage all day. It makes the whole offense worse because the lack of a decent passing game ultimately compromises the running game as well. We'll see what happens the rest of the year, but until they get a real QB, this team will continue to be below average to poor and my expectations will be the same.

i'm not sure you read what i wrote -- surprising, since my post isn't very long. i am mad at bucky for criticizing gailey for the excitement he showed after the game. he compared him to belichick, who never gets excited after a victory. the bills are full of flaws, i never disputed that point. but it's not acceptable for him to demand that gailey not get amped up after a victory. i'm glad gailey praised his team after the victory. that was my point, nothing you wrote has anything to do with my post.

shout out for Toledo. Not the most awesome place... but at least you have ...wait...nevermind. I can't stand my old town.

Originally from Buffalo but have lived in Toledo for over 20 years. Not much here but at this stage in my life it suits me just fine. Laid back city, good place to raise kids.

First of all, he's dead wrong about what Gailey said. Bucky was just lazy and didn't really understand. Gailey said "If I had to do it all over again, I'd run it." Gleason took that to mean he'd do it again. But Gailey meant he would have called a run, not run it again. It's obvious he did because he also said "It was a bad call" on my part. And said he would have run it in other interviews, and that the "team bailed the dumb coach out".

Second he said the Bills "were largely outplayed" by the Cardinals? How? The game was close all game, it was pretty much dead even in stats, we led in the fourth quarter. They tied us on a 61 yard FG. The only thing the Cards did well was QB scrambles for 66 yards. We had better protection and better pass rush. If Fitz didn't miss a few easy passes we likely would have won by 7 or 10 instead of 3.

I do agree with him that we are not a very good team right now, and the record may be a little deceiving. But is anything, the Bills are exactly where they should be after six games, 3-3, after playing the Jets, 49ers and Cards on the road, and the Pats, Chiefs and Browns at home. And ahead of where they should be right now because the division is so tight and the Pats lost 3.

guess the truth hurts.....it is certainly a reasonable point of view.

besides, we were a whisker away from losing that game, when the FG attempt hit the upright. imagine the doom and gloom around here, if it went in.

i see nothing wrong in Chan putting a positive spin on the effort and outcome. most of the team played their asses off.

Glass Half Full: there are only 2 teams in our conference with a better record.

Glass Half Empty: if the season ended today, we are OUT of the playoffs.

The article is spot on.

The Dolphins lost their first game by 20 points and then the other two in OT.

...I honestly don't think we are better than them. I am not saying we are worse (yet), but stay tuned.

The Bills started last season 5-2 with the two losses coming by a combined total of 6 points. They had a +64 in point differential. They had two blowout victories and a come from behind win vs. NE.

Most analysts thought they were a good team - how did that turn out for them?

Bottom line is nobody has a clue how good/bad most of these teams are right now.

"You're not wrong, Walter. You're just an !@#$."

Criticisms on Gailey and Fitz are fine. Even Brad Smith. But that's three guys. What about the other 51, none of whom played an appreciably bad game and ended up with a road victory against a 4-1 team?

Where are the plaudits for Byrd? Spiller? Levitre? Mario? Kelsay? I could go on. Good team win and it wasn't stolen. Carrington tipped the field goal attempt and Skelton was only playing because the same man drove Kolb into the turf.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

"You're not wrong, Walter. You're just an !@#$."

Criticisms on Gailey and Fitz are fine. Even Brad Smith. But that's three guys. What about the other 51, none of whom played an appreciably bad game and ended up with a road victory against a 4-1 team?

Where are the plaudits for Byrd? Spiller? Levitre? Mario? Kelsay? I could go on. Good team win and it wasn't stolen. Carrington tipped the field goal attempt and Skelton was only playing because the same man drove Kolb into the turf.

Exactly. If you're going to beat a drum make sure it is i'm tune with reality. Do not pick and choose only to ignore the good

With the NHL lockout and Sully on leave, I guess Bucky had to turn his cynicism toward the Bills. I am surprised he was not able to find a way to include something about Zigomanis and fax machines or try to blame the Bills for the Sabres not re-signing Chris Drury. If and when the Bills lose again, he probably will demand that Lindy and Darcy be fired.

The Bills beat a team that had a 8 game home winning streak and had already beaten the Pats, Seahawks, and Eagles (as well as the Dolphins). I am happy with the win. Was it a perfect game? No. Nevertheless, the Bills showed some heart coming back from two devastating losses and some of the hurdles they faced in the game.

I don't hear anyone bitching about how Arizona didn't deserve the win against the Pats* just because Gostkowski missed a makeable 42-yard FG as time expired, and after they inexplicably gave the ball back to the Pats* with time running out.

The Bills started last season 5-2 with the two losses coming by a combined total of 6 points. They had a +64 in point differential. They had two blowout victories and a come from behind win vs. NE.

Most analysts thought they were a good team - how did that turn out for them?

Bottom line is nobody has a clue how good/bad most of these teams are right now.

I've never gone along with that line of thinking.

They were as good as they were then and as bad as they are now. A potential change in the future outcome does not change the perception of the present circumstances.

They are 3-3 with a QB who can't hit open receivers and a defense that fairs very poorly against the run (and generally overall). If they change I'll be happy. If they beat Houston and N.E. by 20 each, I'll be down right thrilled.

However, my percpetion of what I have seen so far doesn't given any cause to think that will happen. I'll still cheer like hell, but the Bills are what they are right now.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts