We're just not going to pay those ticket prices anymore

Without any data to back it up....but having watched many Yankee games for the last 40 yrs......it seems to me that the biggest change is in the "luxury"seats around home plate/infield. At the old stadium, those seats were always full. In the new park, they can be near capacity overall but the TV shots look horrible because there are so many unfilled ground level seats in the infield/lower level.

I particularly remember watching games in their first season at the new stadium and thinking how bad it looked. When the new stadium opened they jacked those prices WAY up....even by Yankee stadium standards.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3305979

More than that tho...thew stadium's acoustics suck. Its not the same experience. The old stadium shook during LCS and WS games and it amplified sound. It was awesome. New stadium...not so much.

And the prices are awful. I used to hit a dozen games a year...take the 4 train up and pick up scalped seats. Sat all over the old stadium, even behind the plate once. New stadium is too damn expensive to do that. Only hit a couple games a year. I miss the old stadium.

More than that tho...thew stadium's acoustics suck. Its not the same experience. The old stadium shook during LCS and WS games and it amplified sound. It was awesome. New stadium...not so much.

And the prices are awful. I used to hit a dozen games a year...take the 4 train up and pick up scalped seats. Sat all over the old stadium, even behind the plate once. New stadium is too damn expensive to do that. Only hit a couple games a year. I miss the old stadium.

Wait, you're blaming part of the poor attendance on acoustics?? :w00t:

we are talking different concepts....i agree with you that the little guy is getting squeezed out, that sucks. But you have to understand that to the Steinbrenner family, it is a business, and any good business objective is to maximize profits. I am coming at this discussion from a business standpoint. I completely understand their approach, doesn't mean i agree with it or like it, but its not enough to make me not be a fan anymore.

In that case, I think you need to take a longer and broader view of the issue. How are the current ticket prices of not just the Yankees but pro sports in general going to impact their league and franchises 20 years from now? I happen to think the short term greed is going to cost them long term.

But regardless of that, there is something wrong with the best seats in the house sitting empty day after day, no matter how big the game, for a franchise that used to play in front of SRO crowds just a few years ago.

I still haven't been to either new stadium in NYC -- and I don't plan on it unless someone invites me to go. And that probably isn't going to happen because the friends I know who had Mets/Yanks tickets have given them up and I haven't had a vendor offer me tickets to a sporting event in years (used to be something that happened with some regularity).

The atmosphere is not the same at the new stadium, it's not as loud. I was at Game 6 of the World Series in 2009 when the Yankees clinched it, and it was like I could see everybody cheering, but it didn't sound nearly as loud as it should have.

That's why you go to games instead of watch them on TV. The communal experience, the atmosphere, the crowd noise!

The atmosphere is not the same at the new stadium, it's not as loud. I was at Game 6 of the World Series in 2009 when the Yankees clinched it, and it was like I could see everybody cheering, but it didn't sound nearly as loud as it should have.

That's why you go to games instead of watch them on TV. The communal experience, the atmosphere, the crowd noise!

Exactly. I was at the Ibanez 2 HR game...thats as loud as that stadium can get, and its not that loud. Contrast that with the Tino Martinez game of the 2001 WS...never heard any place louder, any sporting event, period. The building was literally shaking from the noise and emotion...thats why you go to the game! They blew it with the new stadium...both on atmosphere and price.

Edit: What the stadium is supposed to sound like...

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=2946720

Edited by bills_fan

No I go because there is nothing in the world like a day at the ballpark. We lived a couple of blocks from AT&T park. We'd walk by it some days and the back bleacher section would be open and we'd "sneak" in. As a 50 year old I'd still get goosebumps looking at that stadium.....empty. If you need a loud stadium to enjoy a ballgame at the park you, my friend, need to hand in your baseball fan card now. Does the crowd noise add to the ambiance? Sure but that is not the reason I go to the ballpark.

Exactly. I was at the Ibanez 2 HR game...thats as loud as that stadium can get, and its not that loud. Contrast that with the Tino Martinez game of the 2001 WS...never heard any place louder, any sporting event, period. The building was literally shaking from the noise and emotion...thats why you go to the game! They blew it with the new stadium...both on atmosphere and price.

http://mlb.mlb.com/v...tent_id=2946720

Mike Harrington of the News has written a number of times about being in the press box, or where they put the press overflow, and nothing was like it - he said, like you, that it was literally shaking! That video gives me goosebumps.

No I go because there is nothing in the world like a day at the ballpark. We lived a couple of blocks from AT&T park. We'd walk by it some days and the back bleacher section would be open and we'd "sneak" in. As a 50 year old I'd still get goosebumps looking at that stadium.....empty. If you need a loud stadium to enjoy a ballgame at the park you, my friend, need to hand in your baseball fan card now. Does the crowd noise add to the ambiance? Sure but that is not the reason I go to the ballpark.

Your reason for going to a game is good for a July game, which I also love, but not for an October game.

http://mlb.mlb.com/v...tent_id=2946720

That was a great moment....but for me this was better. Sierra and Mattingly back to back. The video is not great but you can tell the stadium was rocking. Mattingly at the 2:25 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQxwJjoiZIc&playnext=1&list=PLB2A4DCD78C2CF4B0&feature=results_video

Your reason for going to a game is good for a July game, which I also love, but not for an October game.

So a ballpark in July I magical but in October it's not? Most absurd statement I've ever heard from a socalled baseball fan.

Edited by Chef Jim

Seriously, WTF are you talking about? I have no idea.

You go to a game for the crowd noise I go for the tension of playoff baseball in a mojor leafue ballpark The crowd noise is secondary. Getting back to your point that the reason the Yankees don't sell out is because of acoustics. That's some funny **** man.

Yeah, because that's what I said. You have major reading comprehension problems.

So what exactly did you mean when you said "it's true" when I questioned the poster who said that the reason for the empty seats was acoustics? You have some major memory problems.

Im the same way with Shea. I wanted that place CLOSED BAD. Now that its gone, I miss it. I hate the new Mets park, and how it totally changed the baseball experience for me. I expected some changes, but now its like walking around a high end shopping mall. Like you, I used to go and roll up, get a beer and a ticket and catch a game. Not anymore. Its $50 just to get NEAR the place and thats without food or beverages. Sporting events were never cheap, but you could still get away with a decent game day experiece for a reasonable amount of money. Not anymore and I feel like Im getting ripped off. And its not likee this in other towns. I used to go to Safeco on business and had a blast there for reasonable prices. But in NYC, with so many wealthy marks here, they know they can charge $500 for a seat or over $100 to get anywhere near the lower level and get away with it. So screw em.

With the new Yanks park, what made the OLD one so loud was the fact that the upper deck was literally on top of the field. So much so foul balls would fly half way up the Tier. You could sit on the 1st base side and throw a ball to a dude sitting in your seat on the third base side. Thats what got into the opposing team's players heads. You were playing in the OF or batting at the plate and literally had tens of thousands of Yankee fan lunatics screaming DOWN at you. The new park isnt like that at all.

The upper deck at Shea used to shake, too. Todd Zeile hit a 2 run double in the 2000 LCS and we were bouncing up and down up there like nobody's business. It ruled.

Edited by RkFast