We're just not going to pay those ticket prices anymore

its not embarrassing...it was a saturday night, they played the previous 2 nights, they play again today...it was game 1....fans need a break, even during the playoffs....

You must be joking. There have been hundreds/thousands of empty premium seats virtually every game since the new Yankee Stadium opened. Who is going to pay a thousand dollars a seat to watch a baseball game? Ticket prices are so high they have priced the vast majority of their fans right out of the park.

are we talking since the stadium opened or last nights game.... :wallbash:

You must be joking. There have been hundreds/thousands of empty premium seats virtually every game since the new Yankee Stadium opened. Who is going to pay a thousand dollars a seat to watch a baseball game? Ticket prices are so high they have priced the vast majority of their fans right out of the park.

are we talking since the stadium opened or last nights game.... :wallbash:

What??

The answer for both is the same: absurd ticket prices = thousands of empty seats. Last season, last night and tomorrow.

Fans need a break? Thanks for the laugh.

pretty sure they know what they are doing....does that mean the little guy(people like me) gets 'screwed'...yeah probably, and that sucks, but they are a business and their job is to maximize profits and they seem to be doing a pretty good job of doing it....they lost 14M in revenue last year for the first time in a while....but their value certainly increased.

http://www.forbes.co...ees_334613.html

attendance decline really isn't as bad as y'all are making it out to be...

Year Total ATT Avg. Att. % to cap Cap

2012 3,542,406 43,733 87 50,287

2011 3,653,680 45,107 89.7 50,287

2010 3,765,807 46,491 88.9 50,287

2009 3,674,495 45,364 86.7 50,287

2008 4,298,655 53,069 92.3 56,936

2007 4,271,083 52,729 91.7 56,936

2006 4,243,780 52,392 91.2 56,936

2005 4,090,692 50,502 87.9 56,936

2004 3,775,292 47,788 83.1 56,936

What??

The answer for both is the same: absurd ticket prices = thousands of empty seats. Last season, last night and tomorrow.

Fans need a break? Thanks for the laugh.

Edited by The Poojer

Would it kill you to put your reply underneath the quote like everybody else does, so that we can know what you are replying to when reading your post?

And, it is almost all about the pricing. They must have let people behind the plate the last few days because usually those are half filled, which sucks to see.

Would it kill you to put your reply underneath the quote like everybody else does, so that we can know what you are replying to when reading your post?

Yes it would, Poojer suffers from a little known aliment know as "Topitis". If he were to post under the quote, he would suffer a mental breakdown.

Yes it would, Poojer suffers from a little known aliment know as "Topitis". If he were to post under the quote, he would suffer a mental breakdown.

How would we know??

pretty sure they know what they are doing....does that mean the little guy(people like me) gets 'screwed'...yeah probably, and that sucks, but they are a business and their job is to maximize profits and they seem to be doing a pretty good job of doing it....they lost 14M in revenue last year for the first time in a while....but their value certainly increased.

So their revenue has dropped by $14m but they know what they're doing??

Their worth grew $100Mm more...so...yeah...I'd say they are doing OK......

I didn't realize the point of baseball was to root for the Steinbrenners' personal wealth. :rolleyes:

But yeah, MLB owners have done a bang up job cultivating the next generation of die hard fans.

Without any data to back it up....but having watched many Yankee games for the last 40 yrs......it seems to me that the biggest change is in the "luxury"seats around home plate/infield. At the old stadium, those seats were always full. In the new park, they can be near capacity overall but the TV shots look horrible because there are so many unfilled ground level seats in the infield/lower level.

I particularly remember watching games in their first season at the new stadium and thinking how bad it looked. When the new stadium opened they jacked those prices WAY up....even by Yankee stadium standards.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3305979

we are talking different concepts....i agree with you that the little guy is getting squeezed out, that sucks. But you have to understand that to the Steinbrenner family, it is a business, and any good business objective is to maximize profits. I am coming at this discussion from a business standpoint. I completely understand their approach, doesn't mean i agree with it or like it, but its not enough to make me not be a fan anymore.

I didn't realize the point of baseball was to root for the Steinbrenners' personal wealth. :rolleyes:

But yeah, MLB owners have done a bang up job cultivating the next generation of die hard fans.

we are talking different concepts....i agree with you that the little guy is getting squeezed out, that sucks. But you have to understand that to the Steinbrenner family, it is a business, and any good business objective is to maximize profits. I am coming at this discussion from a business standpoint. I completely understand their approach, doesn't mean i agree with it or like it, but its not enough to make me not be a fan anymore.

Net worth has nothing to do with profits. If the team is worth $3bil but no one shows up to the games what will their profits be?