Article on Schwabl's Restaurant

Went there once wasnt impressed. Sure miss Bay-lo's (sic) though

What didn't you like about it? I've never been but I'm always interested in what people dislike about a place, especially one that has had such a long history of success. One visit does not a good review make....typically. That's why good restaurant critics make several visits to a restaurant before the write the review.

One visit does not a good review make....typically. That's why good restaurant critics make several visits to a restaurant before the write the review.

Agreed. I went to a well known diner here in Syracuse I'd never been before, and it was one of the worst restaurant experiences I've ever had. I've been back several times since and now it's in my "it's okay, not great" list.

But I still tell people about that first experience.

What didn't you like about it? I've never been but I'm always interested in what people dislike about a place, especially one that has had such a long history of success. One visit does not a good review make....typically. That's why good restaurant critics make several visits to a restaurant before the write the review.

It may sound picky but there wasnt a whole lot of beef on the sandwhich and it was served dry-i.e. no gravy

It may sound picky but there wasnt a whole lot of beef on the sandwhich and it was served dry-i.e. no gravy

Beef on weck had no gravy? If so they don't it's au jus. Go back and ask for au jus on the side. Also how much is not a whole lot of beef? I hate those dumb NY corned beef deli sandwiches with about 2 lbs of meat piled 6 inches high.

Schwabl's was my first stop in 1973 - West Seneca was still a farm town - great food - superior beef

Bailo's was OK - massive amount of lesser quality beef - great for a hungry college student

Local neighborhood place - Slomba's - Leroy & Fillmore (walked there when you didn't own a car)

That little bar with a 80 sq ft kitchen - turned out fanatasic bar grub

Used to watch the Sabres there (they had cable) and underage Canisius co-eds came in all the time

Their beef is pretty bloody too, under-cooked

A Fitz deep throw could hit the place from my house. I prefer Metzgers & Connors in West Seneca

Their beef is pretty bloody too, under-cooked

A Fitz deep throw could hit the place from my house. I prefer Metzgers & Connors in West Seneca

Never had that problem. When I've been there, they've always carved it to order. I've been with people who've ordered it from rare through medium-well and never seen anyone with a complaint. Though one probably couldn't get a dried out husk for 'well done' if they wanted it.

Is this the Bailo's on Bailey? If so they had the biggest Beef on Weck in Buffalo. As for the gravy you had to ask for it.

Problem was the quality didn't match the quantity. Great place of you had had a few or more beers and were hungry though.