You didn't really own that

Most everyone I know who is inactive duty military who was stationed in Europe or Asia has done this and saved thousands of dollars in the process.

So they're driving around America w/ a car w/ steering wheel on the wrong side and perhaps a number of design requirements not in compliance?

Legally, having a piece of paper - original or copy - that shows ownership is called holding the title.

And now that I think about it...practically, too. I have the title to my car in my physical possession. The Maryland MVA doesn't.

Unless the dealership it was purchased from engaged in illegal behavior, you do not. Dealerships are legally required to forward the origionals to the DMV at the time of sale. You have a copy.

So they're driving around America w/ a car w/ steering wheel on the wrong side and perhaps a number of design requirements not in compliance?

I can't speak to the design requirements, but the steering wheels are all on the correct side.

Unless the dealership it was purchased from engaged in illegal behavior, you do not. Dealerships are legally required to forward the origionals to the DMV at the time of sale. You have a copy.

No, the dealership forwards the origination certificate to the DMV, which then issues the title to the owner (at some point, depending on state regulations. Some issue it to the lender until the auto loan is paid off. I'm EXTREMELY familiar with that process, as I had a dealer !@#$ up submitting the origination certificate on a car once, and spent two years fixing their mistake.)

But ultimately, for a fully paid-for car, the owner has the original. You can't transfer title without it.

I can't speak to the design requirements, but the steering wheels are all on the correct side.

Well in any event we're looking at almost nobody. Maybe a few foreign service guys and collectors who imported a car that has protection here in the US and a rights holder who is ready to find out about this and sue. In other words...basically nobody.

Okay, after fixing the alternator Jack decides to pimp out his Explorer with some hydraulics, 24 inch spinners, and a subwoofer a tenth the size of Tom's ego.

Explorer?

Who buys a foreign made car and imports it to the United States himself? That is not the situation almost anybody I know is in....

Ford imported my truck, not me.

Ford imported my truck, not me.

Well you are good in all but that one circuit. You are also explicitly good in the 9th circuit where the rule is that foreign manufactured goods imported and sold lawfully in the US then gets first sale protection. That is a likely track SCOTUS takes to refine the 2nd circuit ruling.