Why isn't Willis getting any Blame for the loss?

NanaAnna

This game had 4 key plays in about 4 minutes of real game time.

1) Josh Reed Penalty deep in Steeler territory (Been discussed)

2) Missed chip shot FG (has been discussed)

3) Defense giving up big running play right after the missed FG (Has been discussed)

4) Willis ignoring the blitzing CB and running right up the back of Mike Williams to help him when he needed no help, and allowing the CB to blind side Bledsoe, cause a fumble, and have it returned for a TD. (Curiously not been discussed)

To me this was a huge play. The Play was going to the Bills left, that's why Willis had blitz protection to the right (which on this play would be Bledsoe's blind side since he was looking toward the left sideline)

Blame Bledsoe for everything, but let's give some blame to this boards GOD, and say that he screwed the pooch on the blitz pickup, which lead to Bledsoe getting blind sided, and the resulting effect of such a hit.

The reason why it has not been discussed is because he MADE THE CORRECT BLOCK....

There were two bandits on that side......Magehee had to choose which one to take and he took out the one with the most direct path to the QB.......you always take the inside guy because it take the outside guy longer to get there.......

Drew should have seen the two bandits...recognised his protection was only going to get one of them...and made either a quick throw....got rid of it.....or at least protected the ball so it wouldn't get stripped.....

That wasn't Willis's fault

The reason why it has not been discussed is because he MADE THE CORRECT BLOCK....

190039[/snapback]

lmao

Willis gets a free pass.....remember he is the savoir of the season.  He can do no wrong...I just hope his play next season lives up to his hype this season.

190125[/snapback]

If he was the savior he would have split himself in half and taken out both blitzers. :doh:

This game had 4 key plays in about 4 minutes of real game time.

1) Josh Reed Penalty deep in Steeler territory (Been discussed)

2) Missed chip shot FG (has been discussed)

3) Defense giving up big running play right after the missed FG (Has been discussed)

4) Willis ignoring the blitzing CB and running right up the back of Mike Williams to help him when he needed no help, and allowing the CB to blind side Bledsoe, cause a fumble, and have it returned for a TD. (Curiously not been discussed)

To me this was a huge play. The Play was going to the Bills left, that's why Willis had blitz protection to the right (which on this play would be Bledsoe's blind side since he was looking toward the left sideline)

Blame Bledsoe for everything, but let's give some blame to this boards GOD, and say that he screwed the pooch on the blitz pickup, which lead to Bledsoe getting blind sided, and the resulting effect of such a hit.

190036[/snapback]

Blame the coaches. That gameplan was devised for the Bay City Rollers and no one noticed. You could take MM, the OC, and DC out today and shoot them. Wouldn't bother me any.

I blame two things:

dropped passes

penalties

..make that 3 things.

turnovers.

Penalties and Turnovers decide every game.....and this game was no exception.

You can point to one play here or there as has already been done ad nauseum....but the bottom line is always penalties and turnovers.

the team had done a great job in both of those areas the previous 6 games....the result was victories......then...the wheels simply came off yesterday.

lmao

190087[/snapback]

This proves most of the people on this board don't watch the game, or understand what they are seeing. There were two blitzers on the right side. McGahee can only block one. Mike Williams had a man to block as well. All that could be done was get rid of the ball, or protect the ball and take sack.

These are the same people who argue Drew Bledsoe is a big game QB.

PTR

There were two blitzers on the right side.  McGahee can only block one.  Mike Williams had a man to block as well.  All that could be done was get rid of the ball, or protect the ball and take sack.

190199[/snapback]

...or Bledsoe could/should have seen the blitz and hit whoever was being left open or in single coverage. When there is an overload, it falls on the QB to make 'em pay for it. Overload blitz cannot be run against good QBs.

willis did pick up the blitz, but the steelers sent another while willis was engaged

and i'd like to add a #5 to your key plays list.  the tripping penalty deep in our territory.  if not for the trip, mcgahee might have taken it 95 yards

190222[/snapback]

I remember thinking that at the time - smart penalty to take by the Steeler player. If not the whole 95, Willis would have had a big gain on that run.