Biden Vs. Ryan "Game Day Thread" LOL

Here's my preview:

When: 11 OCT, 9-10:30 PM EST

Where: Danville, Ky

Media: all major channels and cable news channels, pbs, etc. as well as various live streams.

Moderator: Martha Raddatz(ABC)

Format: 8-9 segments, beginning with a question from the moderator, a 2 minute response from each candidate, with the remaining time being used by the moderator to discuss the question further. (For me...much depends on the execution here. If Ryan is being cut off, it hurts him, if Biden is being cut off it helps :lol:)

Expectations for Joe Biden couldn't be lower. Every single pundit, on multiple outlets, has Ryan winning. This has gotten to the point that they are covering their predictions by calling this this a "trap game" for Ryan. Almost all have cautioned that Biden can be underestimated, and that he does have a unique ability to connect with the working class.

For Ryan, given the expectations, it's hard to see how anything other than a flawless victory over Biden will be called a win. In fact, even if Ryan beats Biden on points, or rounds, as if this were boxing, only a KO, and not even a TKO, will be called a net + for Obama. But, the scoreboard is the American people, and not what the pundits say. The game's winner is determined on that scoreboard.

Biden has been sequestered, and is hiding out at Debate Camp. No doubt this tactic is being employed...both to prepare Biden for the onslaught that is Ryan...and to keep Biden from repeating last week's 2-gaffe performance.

It remains to be seen whether Ryan needs any preparation, or if he plans to simply go into the debate doing what he does every other day. However, Ryan himself has said that he will not underestimate Biden, and is preparing vigorously.

My Prediction:

Frankly, I didn't buy Ryan's line, or the Biden stuff either. Ryan has already demonstrated, especially in the health care "round table" leading up to the passage of Obamacare, that he is a highly skilled extemporaneous speaker. If he gives Biden the same whipping he gave Obama in that meeting, and there's no indication that he can't, he should cruise to the win.

The only thing that can stop Ryan: if he doesn't recognize when to be gracious, and cognizant that he is running for VP, and not looking for a job on a news channel. If he appears to be beating on an a helpless old man, who just wants to help people, it could hurt him. For Biden, it will also take massive discipline not lash out wildly, and open himself to further attack, especially when Ryan begins to land his punches. Expecting this discipline from Biden, when he has rarely if ever shown it, especially when speaking in an open format, approaches wishful thinking.

Also, many forget that Biden was soundly beaten...by Sarah Palin. It's an inconvenient fact that might just push the liberal reader into a panic attack this week, if they are able to recall it correctly.

Regardless, the media will call this a win for Biden, no matter what happens. They have to, and, given their "polls" and predictions that the race was over 2 weeks ago, it's not like they have their credibility to preserve. The last shred of that was lost the minute they bought that a youtube video killed our ambassador.

Odds:

Ryan -7 on points made

Biden -2 on mistakes made

Ryan -3 on openings in opponent's response taken

Biden -2 on " missed

5/3 # of times pundits say Ryan "lied"/ # times they say Biden messed up

Edited by OCinBuffalo

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlike the presidential debate, I will watch this one primarily because the little inside game stuff I've been reading indicates Axelrod is gearing up Biden to be the pit bull Obama can't be.

While there are rumors the word 'gaffe' will be replaced with the word 'Biden' (as in, "Man, Johnny pulled quite the Biden at work today"), he's also known as a very good debater who hits the emotional, caring side neither Romney nor Ryan can carry.

Can Biden step up and be what Obama could not...or will Axelrod have him so wired up, he all but take a swing at Ryan while revealing he's wearing Depends on national TV?

Definitely worth watching especially because...let's face, he had a hard enough time keeping up with Sarah Palin. There's a 1% chance he'll go batschittcrazy on us, and I really want to watch that live.

Edited by LABillzFan

I agree that Ryan is actually in a difficult position, because (laughingly)nobody expects the sitting Vice President of the United States to actually say anything substantial (what does that tell you)

Rather than appear to be too "forceful" or "testy" as GOP candidates are usually described, when they answer a question honestly, I think that Ryan should ignore the moderator , and Joe, and just go on the offense against the Obama administration policies and decisions.

let Joe try and defend that without a gaffe . . . . . . . . . impossible.

Ryan’s Impossible Debate Challenge

In a rational world, Paul Ryan should have a fairly easy time in the upcoming debate against Vice President Joe Biden. Ryan is a man who has mastered the intricacies of legislation and the federal budget while Biden has shown scant interest in anything in his senatorial career other than the AMTRAK schedule from Washington, DC to Delaware.

Unfortunately, we don’t live in a rational world. We live in one where Barack Obama is president AND Joe Biden is vice president. To win a debate against Joe Biden one must be prepared to engage with a man who has hardly more than a nodding acquaintance with the truth.

Most of us are familiar with Biden’s ill-starred run for the Demcocrat nomination in 1988 as part of the Seven Dwarfs. He was forced out when it was revealed that he’d not only plagiarized a speech by British Labor Party leader Neal Kinnock, he’s actually gone so far as to steal Kinnock’s biography, claiming to be the son of an impoverished coal miner.

{snip}

And therein lies the danger for Paul Ryan. When you are debating someone you expect a modicum of honesty. Biden is as close to a psychopathic liar as we’ve had as either president or vice president. Where Bill Clinton would lie just to keep in practice, Joe Biden is a personality who lies without reason and seems to have the ability to actually believe his own lies.

http://www.redstate.com/2012/10/06/ryans-impossible-debate-challenge/

Ducky, I saved your post, and will repost it in, oh say, about a month. Be a man and keep the same screen name for at least until after the election.

Omg, I might be wrong??? I'm not Tom, I can admit I'm human, gees.

Michelle Obama will be President and a better president than her husband!

Keep that f'n quote if you want

And it's like you live a web site, with groupies that love you and you do nothing else

Tom!

Don't confuse most poster's inability to catch Tom saying something dumb....with them being groupies. If Tom left himself open anywhere near as much as most poster's, or you, do, he'd be taking the same beating you do.

Tom has written his share of idiocy, it's just that most people don't know it's idiocy, which says more about them, than Tom. :lol: Tom is also the fastest deleter in this board, and he gets real pissed when he thinks he's gotten over...but you have his deleted post all cached up and ready to go. :lol:

The one thing you can count on, and dare I say is a redeeming, and even comforting, quality about the DC_Tom "brand", he rarely talks about things he doesn't know about.

If you really want to be critical of DC_Tom, ask him why he doesn't start threads, or begin conversations, rather than just doing drive-bys in everybody else's.

:lol: Now...I guarantee that will get you...something. Whether it is better than what you are getting? Well, as I said, that depends on you. :lol:

To be fair, just because you didn't show up at the latest fan club meaning doesn't mean they don't exist. Look, I took a picture from the last group session:

http://media.tumblr....XTjX1qbqhlq.jpg

Yeah, I went to that meeting to see if it was real.(shh don't tell DuckDodgers). That's Juror #8, when I asked him to explain the difference between Macro and Micro.

:lol:

Omg, I might be wrong??? I'm not Tom, I can admit I'm human, gees.

Michelle Obama will be President and a better president than her husband!

Keep that f'n quote if you want

So, you admit that you are wrong? Claiming you are human proves that. Michelle will be a better President? When you set the bar at groundlevel you're displaying your well, ignorance.