Get rid of Eric Moulds

That guy drops too many passes, and he's scheduled to make $8.5 million next season, his tenth in the league. This past year, he just barely surpassed 1000 yards, despite being Drew's main target on most plays. Moulds has three seasons when he got to about 1300 yards or better, and that was when we didn't run the ball often enough to take pressure off the passing game. If we put some other guy in the possession receiver place he might do just as well if not better.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That guy drops too many passes, and he's scheduled to make $8.5 million next season, his tenth in the league. This past year, he just barely surpassed 1000 yards, despite being Drew's main target on most plays. Moulds has three seasons when he got to about 1300 yards or better, and that was when we didn't run the ball often enough to take pressure off the passing game. If we put some other guy in the possession receiver place he might do just as well if not better.

189973[/snapback]

Hey dude, I hear the 49ers are looking for a new Coach, you should apply for the job I think the York family will like your way of thinking.

Hey dude, I hear the 49ers are looking for a new Coach, you should apply for the job I think the York family will like your way of thinking.

189987[/snapback]

I can think of another team unwilling to overpay for talent: New England. New England got rid of Lawyer Milloy because they thought he was a good player, but overpaid. They won the Super Bowl that same year.

I can think of another team unwilling to overpay for talent: New England. New England got rid of Lawyer Milloy because they thought he was a good player, but overpaid. They won the Super Bowl that same year.

190001[/snapback]

They also had a replacement in Harrison already in place...who is replacing Moulds if he gets cut?

Or Pro Bowlers. You shouldn't cut Moulds just because he had an off year. He still did get over 1,000 yards not to mention being hurt.

189991[/snapback]

Moulds had two drops today. As the year went on, teams began putting 8 or 9 men in the box, showing they had no fear of Moulds. He's just another guy.

Moulds had two drops today. As the year went on, teams began putting 8 or 9 men in the box, showing they had no fear of Moulds. He's just another guy.

190003[/snapback]

Last time I checked, he was over 100 yards, had 90 catches, and is one of the most feared WRs in the league. There is no one to replace the guy, there arent many guys the cliber of him in this league.

Let's get rid of McGahee while we're at it too. . .we don't want any offensive weapons on this team.

189980[/snapback]

After Sterling Sharpe's career was prematurely ended by injury, Brett Farve actually got better. He started looking at all his WRs, instead of always keying in on just one guy. Getting rid of Sharpe made the other receivers better, not worse, and Sharpe was twice the WR Moulds is now.

Last time I checked, he was over 100 yards, had 90 catches, and is one of the most feared WRs in the league.  There is no one to replace the guy, there arent many guys the cliber of him in this league.

190007[/snapback]

If you take a WR of average NFL talent, make him the primary focus of your offense, and keep throwing him the ball, he will accumulate some catches and yards. Moulds may have 90 catches, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that he also has 45 drops. Sam Aiken outplayed Moulds today, and maybe he could do so over the course of a season. Certainly Sam Aiken could have equalled what Moulds did in Cincinnati, and there are probably several other games where the Sam Aikens of the league could have equalled or bettered the production of Eric Moulds.

You're missing the point.

He was injured this year plus he had Bledsoe throwing to him. He still made over 1,000 yards and a damn nice one handed grab in Baltimore to go along with that one handed grab against the Colts a few years back. He's the toughest starting receiver in the NFL. He has a veteran leadership role on the team, with the old Buffalo of the 90s in his blood.

this franchise is not in a position to start cutting players who are good enough to start on any team in the league.

190013[/snapback]

We're not in a position to use $8.5 million in cap space on a player who's only worth $3 - $4 million in cap space.

You're missing the point.

He was injured this year plus he had Bledsoe throwing to him. He still made over 1,000 yards and a damn nice one handed grab in Baltimore to go along with that one handed grab against the Colts a few years back. He's the toughest starting receiver in the NFL. He has a veteran leadership role on the team, with the old Buffalo of the 90s in his blood.

190015[/snapback]

Moulds also had a lot of bad plays/dropped passes in that Baltimore game. Having Bledsoe throwing to Moulds should inflate his numbers, because a lot of times Bledsoe locks into Moulds while ignoring his other WRs.

189973[/snapback]

Moulds is definately not worth that cap figuere but at the same time he's not worth getting rid of. Eric has been a pretty much team first guy and hopefully that continues, as love to see us restructure his contract in order to keep Pat Williams and Jonas Jennings. As a loss of either one would definately hurt this team immensly IMHO. I think Moulds' loss would also hurt as much if not more but do think we have to start thinking of his eventual replacement in 2006 or 2007.