Has Voyager left the Solar System

/dev/null

I find this really fascinating too. Does anyone know when the Voyager was initially launched?

Mid to late 70s. I'm sure you can Google® it for an exact answer

No. It takes a warp drive signature before the Vulcans make first contact.

Premise of the first Trek movie was Voyager had traveled so far out into space and came back.. The "antagonist" for lack of a better term was V-Ger

Premise of the first Trek movie was Voyager had traveled so far out into space and came back.. The "antagonist" for lack of a better term was V-Ger

Of course Star Trek is set just a few hundred years in the future. By then Voyager would still just be in interstellar space, light years from the nearest star not our sun.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

But that was Voyager "8" or some such (a postulated later Voyager, at any rate).

And the "boundary" of the solar system is hardly a sharp line (odds are it's irregular, and fluctuates quite a bit - meaning Voyager could be "outside" the solar system today, but back "inside" next year, then "outside" again a few months later, etc.) The REALLY cool thing isn't that it's "inside" or "outside", but that it's actually measuring the properties of that boundary. Which, if you think about it, is completely unbelievable - basically, a spacecraft built around the same time as the Ford Pinto is measuring the difference between practically nothing.