Meanwhile in the Middle East

A Syrian Civil war is our responsibility? Putting aside Obama or Romney...just as America...this is our "responsibility?"

If Turkey is mad that the **** show is spilling over...then fine. It's about time the regional neighbors take a more active role if they feel they need to do so.

But us? I still don't get how everything is our "responsibility." Is it b/c we are the "one indispensable nation?" So we need to arm someone every time a civil war breaks out? Make no fly zones in every dispute?

I mean...I just don't get it. I'm not a total isolationist but c'mon...

Other nations are heavily involved in the Syrian conflict. Notably Iran which is believed to have been pulling the strings in Syria for years. Our interest in Syria is less about promoting democracy and more about curbing the influence of Iran which has emerged as a dominant nation in the region with the fall of Saddam's regime.

Waiting on neighboring countries to enter the scene is all fine and well, but I wouldn't bet on it actually happening. Lebanon is pro Assad and another state with major ties to Iran. The Iraqis can barely police themselves. Turkey will only raise arms against Armenians or possibly Israelis. The Saudis would rather pay the U.S. to do their dirty work and stay out of the whole mess.

So who does that leave? The EU? If European powers will sit idly by and watch the Balkans ummm, cleanse itself of ethnic Albanians and Kosovars what do you think the likelihood is that Germany and France will suddenly care about slaughtered Syrians?

Fact is that the U.S. is the only nation on Earth with the means and will to keep Iran in check or promote democracy or whatever humanitarian BS we're being fed.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other nations are heavily involved in the Syrian conflict. Notably Iran which is believed to have been pulling the strings in Syria for years. Our interest in Syria is less about promoting democracy and more about curbing the influence of Iran which has emerged as a dominant nation in the region with the fall of Saddam's regime.

Waiting on neighboring countries to enter the scene is all fine and well, but I wouldn't bet on it actually happening. Lebanon is pro Assad and another state with major ties to Iran. The Iraqis can barely police themselves. Turkey will only raise arms against Armenians or possibly Israelis. The Saudis would rather pay the U.S. to do their dirty work and stay out of the whole mess.

So who does that leave? The EU? If European powers will sit idly by and watch the Balkans ummm, cleanse itself of ethnic Albanians and Kosovars what do you think the likelihood is that Germany and France will suddenly care about slaughtered Syrians?

Fact is that the U.S. is the only nation on Earth with the means and will to keep Iran in check or promote democracy or whatever humanitarian BS we're being fed.

So to summarize: "Iran"

Still not sold...the American people should not buy this load of **** from our leaders anymore. If they start gassing a bunch of civilians or something...maybe I'll buy it under the "humanitarian BS"....but jump all around the middle east to curb Iranian influence? Not interested...

So to summarize: "Iran"

Still not sold...the American people should not buy this load of **** from our leaders anymore. If they start gassing a bunch of civilians or something...maybe I'll buy it under the "humanitarian BS"....but jump all around the middle east to curb Iranian influence? Not interested...

Thats great that you're not interested. And why should you be? 5 minutes ago you had no idea why Syria was of interest to the U.S. or why their neighbors weren't intervening.

I find it funny that you would support the humanitarian reason for intervention, which is almost never the real reason for intervention, mind you, but dismiss growing Iranian influence in the region. What could possibly go wrong in allowing a hostile nation which sponsors one of the world's largest terrorist organizations to dominate the region which is home to 75% of the world's energy?

Edited by Jauronimo

Thats great that you're not interested. And why should you be? 5 minutes ago you had no idea why Syria was of interest to the U.S. or why their neighbors weren't intervening.

I find it funny that you would support the humanitarian reason for intervention, which is almost never the real reason for intervention, mind you, but dismiss growing Iranian influence in the region. What could possibly go wrong in allowing a hostile nation which sponsors one of the world's largest terrorist organizations to dominate the region which is home to 75% of the world's energy?

Are you John McCain?

It's blasphemy to not be interested in everything that goes in the middle east being 'our responsibility' b/c of Iran?

The myth of a kinder, gentler taliban.

Eleven years later, “they” still hate us, now more than ever, Logan told the crowd. The Taliban and al-Qaida have not been vanquished, she added. They’re coming back.

“I chose this subject because, one, I can’t stand, that there is a major lie being propagated . . .” Logan declared in her native South African accent.

The lie is that America’s military might has tamed the Taliban.

“There is this narrative coming out of Washington for the last two years,” Logan said. It is driven in part by “Taliban apologists,” who claim “they are just the poor moderate, gentler, kinder Taliban,” she added sarcastically. “It’s such nonsense!” CBS Correspondent Lara Logan. You might have heard of her.

Are you John McCain?

It's blasphemy to not be interested in everything that goes in the middle east being 'our responsibility' b/c of Iran?

No, its stupidity to express your ignorance of the situation in one sentence, and then declare that its not worth our time or effort in the next. It might not be worth our time or effort, but how would you know?