What's wrong with my people?

Juror#8

I love my people. I love all people. But really? Do we have to pose, "throw a deuce," point , whatever, in every picture

http://www.gazette.c...e-chipotle.html

If there is a cultural disconnect, and you're not exactly sure what I'm referring to, have a looksee:

http://i.ytimg.com/v...ZUUm1s2sE/0.jpg

FU(((((K

It's so flippin irritating!

As an aside: This is only tangentially related to politcs but I figure that there is also sociological and cultural relevancy and it should give folks here good reasons to hate on rap music and mention how it's destroying the world and how the POTUS is a fan of Jay Z.

That's the tie in.

There really is no tie-in for this though...

THE HARRISON TWINS ANNOUNCE THEIR COLLEGE CHOICE TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!

It's between Maryland and that piece of **** school with that piece of **** coach. They're announcing live on ESPN U!!!!

http://www.baltimore...0,4443136.story

OH SNAP SON!!!!!!!!!!! GO TERPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to trying to figure out secured interests.

Edited by Juror#8

I love my people. I love all people. But really? Do we have to pose, "throw a deuce," point , whatever, in every picture

If there is a cultural disconnect, and you're not exactly sure what I'm referring to, have a looksee:

Great picture of Mitt. Though when it airs on MSNBC they'll point out he put devil's horns on the chubby latino lesbian next to him, while she and the other girl are holding hands on Jesus' johnson.

http://i.ytimg.com/v...ZUUm1s2sE/0.jpg

FU(((((K

It's so flippin irritating!

As an aside: This is only tangentially related to politcs but I figure that there is also sociological and cultural relevancy and it should give folks here good reasons to hate on rap music and mention how it's destroying the world and how the POTUS is a fan of Jay Z.

That's the tie in.

There really is no tie-in for this though...

THE HARRISON TWINS ANNOUNCE THEIR COLLEGE CHOICE TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!

It's between Maryland and that piece of **** school with that piece of **** coach. They're announcing live on ESPN U!!!!

http://www.baltimore...0,4443136.story

OH SNAP SON!!!!!!!!!!! GO TERPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing wrong with rap music aside from its role as ambassador of the cancerous element within urban culture.

It seems many subscribing to ghetto-hip hop culture feel compelled to show that they are different from me and those like me at every turn. Thats fine. A quick glance will usually suffice in communicating to me that we have a very different set of goals, ambitions and interests. But that doesn't seem to go far enough. Instead, I see what I can only explain as a rejection of all things branded as "white" and a need to embrace some bull **** black identity which is now defined by the most disgusting aspects of the hood experience. Since white has been defined as a 9 to 5, button down, 2.5 kids and a picket fence existence, this need to be different leaves few avenues for social advancement.

Thats me 2 cents, what do you think Dave? Oh, and what do you think J8?

Edited by Jauronimo

There is nothing wrong with rap music aside from its role as ambassador of the cancerous element within urban culture.

It seems many subscribing to ghetto-hip hop culture feel compelled to show that they are different from me and those like me at every turn. Thats fine. A quick glance will usually suffice in communicating to me that we have a very different set of goals, ambitions and interests. But that doesn't seem to go far enough. Instead, I see what I can only explain as a rejection of all things branded as "white" and a need to embrace some bull **** black identity which is now defined by the most disgusting aspects of the hood experience. Since white has been defined as a 9 to 5, button down, 2.5 kids and a picket fence existence, this need to be different leaves few avenues for social advancement.

Thats me 2 cents, what do you think Dave? Oh, and what do you think J8?

So what do you make of the fact that the majority of hip hop's commercial audience is suburban white females?

The majority of hip hop's fan base is white.

If hip hop is a rejection of them, why is it so popular among them? Self-loathing?

So what do you make of the fact that the majority of hip hop's commercial audience is suburban white females?

If hip hop is a rejection of them, why is it so popular among them? Self-loathing?

They like the beat. They're not embracing or paying any attention to the message. Its novelty for them.

Music isn't the source of any societal problems that I can think of. In this instance though, I do think the music is legitimizing the lifestyle to an extent.

Edited by Jauronimo

Great picture of Mitt. Though when it airs on MSNBC they'll point out he put devil's horns on the chubby latino lesbian next to him, while she and the other girl are holding hands on Jesus' johnson.

I missed that! That is definitely some interesting hand placement!

I'm waiting for the story to come out that this picture was photoshopped to give Mitt a picture presence with actual minorities....cause you know, Mitt only hangs out with rich white folks.

Reminds me of this classic:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/black-guy-photoshopped-in,1433/

Because the music is good?

It's not much different than other previous forms that originated in the subculture - jazz, blues, rock etc. To me the difference is that in the past, people differentiated entertainment from lifestyle.

Nope. Because suburban white females like their hip hop singers like they like their coffee.

.. nah, too easy.

Same reason we grew our hair long, smoked dope and listened to hard rock when I was a kid. I drove our parents !@#$ing nuts.

Because the music is good?

I think so but I also know that that is a matter of personal opinion. I, am always will be, in the "rap is [a] poerty/narrative" camp.

I really think the wordplay is awesome and it's something that only a small percentage of the population can do with any degree of proficiency.

Even this simple Little Wayne verse : "Paper chasin tell that paper 'look I'm right behind ya'. Bich, real Gs move in silence like Lasagna." (keeping in mind that a "G" is a gansta) is replete with interesting metaphors, word play and fairly complex double entendres.

Lil Wayne probably couldn't tell you what a "double entrende" is, but he does it.

I think so but I also know that that is a matter of personal opinion. I, am always will be, in the "rap is [a] poerty/narrative" camp.

I really think the wordplay is awesome and it's something that only a small percentage of the population can do with any degree of proficiency.

Even this simple Little Wayne verse : "Paper chasin tell that paper 'look I'm right behind ya'. Bich, real Gs move in silence like Lasagna." (keeping in mind that a "G" is a gansta) is replete with interesting metaphors, word play and fairly complex double entendres.

Lil Wayne probably couldn't tell you what a "double entrende" is, but he does it.

It depends. I grew up listening to Wu Tang Clan which would be in the "poetry/narrative" camp but the **** you hear now doesn't do it for me.

I think Chris Rock sums it up perfectly:

It depends. I grew up listening to Wu Tang Clan which would be in the "poetry/narrative" camp but the **** you hear now doesn't do it for me.

I think Chris Rock sums it up perfectly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWvi9dfB4jU

Great Chris Rock skit.

As for WuTang, Raekwon the Chef (no relation Jim) is still my favorite rapper of all time.

I agree. Most of the stuff now sucks.

I do think that it's interesting how much hip hop has gone mainstream political. Puff Daddy had a fund raiser for Hillary Clinton at his home in the Hamptons and Jay Z boasts that he texts Obama regularly.

That would NEVER fly 20 years ago!

It's not much different than other previous forms that originated in the subculture - jazz, blues, rock etc. To me the difference is that in the past, people differentiated entertainment from lifestyle.

.. nah, too easy.

And that's what people have to remember...these folks are entertainers. Jay Z is worth half a billion dollars and hangs out with Warren Buffett. Put him in Bed Stuy projects of Brooklyn by himself and he would soil himself. They're not thugs, they're actors who have a talent with words.

I think much of the dislike for the culture is the perception that these folks are rich hooligans. In that case, why not hate Ben Affleck for his role in "The Town," or Joe Peschi for his role in every Scorcese movie ever made.