Buffalo's defensive problems

Justice

I can't believe how many people here (and oelsewhere) always assume that whatever is stated publicly is what is really the case. Just becasue Chan or anyone else says everything is fine, doesn't mean they really think that. What do you expect him to say; "We suck. Dave W is clueless" Granted there are a small number of coaches who may say that, but no one has ever proven that tactic works any better than keeping things internal.

And if you don't believe me I have some land to sell you!

First off, Buddy and Chan have been extremely up front with Fans and the Media. When they say something, they seem to mean it. The last 2 years have been proof of that.

Second. The whole "I have some land to sell you" thing is old, corny, and at the least, insulting. Everyone has thier opinions. Why you seem to think Chan thinks anything but what he's said publicly is just as moronic as my opinion. But hey, we can't all be as smart as you.

Edited by mrags

Buffalo's defensive problems?

Poor DC to be sure.

No three down LBs, one safety, and a group of very inexperienced CBs with only one special talent among them, is the bigger issue.

The DL can't afford NOT to play to their potential with a back seven like that. They have to be great EVERY game and that just can't be done by ANY D line ALL THE TIME. And it isn't.

Another long year on defense is in front of us. And I refuse to get sucked into believing otherwise until they actually compete against a team not from KC or Cleveland.

GO BILLS!!!

BINGO!!!

Anyone still like George Wilson at SS?

BINGO!!!

Anyone still like George Wilson at SS?

I've liked the handful of big plays he's made. That's it. For every big play he's made, he's made two that suck. He's a liability any way you slice it. But because he's a team leader, NFLPA rep, and all around fan favorite, he won't be benched by Gailey. I don't know how Wanny can look at the film and at least NOT suggest that to Gailey.

GO BILLS!!!

The defensive players are not to blame here, fellas. The defensive gameplan is. The turnovers put our defense in a bad position. They spent way too much time on the field Sunday. You will never beat even a bad team with six turnovers. Things aren't as bad as they seem.

My biggest concern from the game against the Pats going forward are the offensive line injuries. Not the defense. We held New England to seven points for a little over a half and forced more three and outs than NE is used to. This isn't a bad defense, we just have to gameplan better snd show more resiliency when times get tough.

I feel the same. One more thing; this team was a 3-4 d last year and we have switched to a 4-3 along with 2 new De's, a rookie at one cb and 2nd yr guy at the other, and Moats is new to the starting lineup. We will get better as the season progresses. I think by the end of the season, we'll be liking what we see. I hope it starts against SF.

I can't believe how many people here (and oelsewhere) always assume that whatever is stated publicly is what is really the case. Just becasue Chan or anyone else says everything is fine, doesn't mean they really think that. What do you expect him to say; "We suck. Dave W is clueless" Granted there are a small number of coaches who may say that, but no one has ever proven that tactic works any better than keeping things internal.

And if you don't believe me I have some land to sell you!

The thing is Chan knew George Edwards and his 3-4 wasn't getting it done and yet gave him 2 years. One year with Wannstedt supposedly helping Edwards. Against the Patriots the new and improved D line looked so much worse then when Edwards was coaching it.

Granted its only 2 games, but its also 48 points to the Jets, 52 to the Patriots. the wins were against the 0-4 Browns and 1-3 Chiefs.

Chan Gailey hired his old friend to help him out, and so far all his old friend has done is make it worse. I doubt this cronyism is going to win many games against good teams.

Chan Gailey hired his old friend to help him out, and so far all his old friend has done is make it worse. I doubt this cronyism is going to win many games against good teams.

Cronyism! This has been obvious since Gailey came here, with coaches and players. You really have to wonder just how involved wanastache was last year. because the defense really is not improved period.

I'm sure the dynamic duo will have a couple of good moments this year. But these guys in the end will take this team nowhere.

Beating other teams full of suck is not what anyone was waiting for. The jets and pats* nightmares have told us all we need to know

I really think this may have hit a nerve with the team. A "shellacking" like they suffered may just give these guys a kick in the pants. Dave Wanny must be embarrassed. I really see Chan and veterans like Stevie, Fitz , Freddie, Barnett and even Mario stepping in and telling the others - we have to perform and execute better. None of these guys want to be embarrassed...none of them want to be a stat line (most points scored against them in a quarter, etc). This may have been a wake up call that games in the NFL are not easy and wins are not automatic. Despite my negativity on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday...I am starting to feel optimistic again.

Damn - they sucked me back in.

I hate to burst your bubble but if this was the wakeup call, how would we characterize the Jets game?

Look at the same kind of shellackings this team, with most of the SAME guys in key leadership positions, and how they have responded in the past. 8 and 9 game losing streaks are not a product of teams that show resiliency.

I would really like to be able to share your optimism. And I always have since their inception. But I've NEVER witnessed the type of defensive collapse I saw in Sunday. Oh there have been many beatings and run for the bus games at the end of losing seasons. But this team flat out laid down and quit on defense last Sunday. It literally was a historically bad defensive performance.

I can tolerate losing to superior teams. I accept that the other guy is gonna be bigger, faster, stronger and more talented. But I can't accept quitting just because you're getting your ass kicked. Especially against the team that is your barometer.

I honestly don't think the veteran leadership on this team has what it takes to come back from this beating. Like I've said since Sunday, I'll be watching and rooting like always but my expectations have been lowered to historical lows of their own.

I REFUSE to get sucked in again.

GO BILLS!!!

Refuse to get sucked in again? That reminds me of a recurring gag the "Gilligan's Island" script writers used to use.

Interesting that the Bills and Jets had a somewhat parallel week. Gailey questioned his team's mental toughness. Ryan said today that there was no way his team quit (despite allegations by the Niners). He said that towards the end of the game that they were just beat up and tired.

Perhaps we'll see which method yields better results.

I realize with press coverage you risk the big play. But if you can give up six straight TDs in a zone what do you have to lose, really.

Exactly. By going big you have nothing to lose and you theoretically gain the ability to actually stand up to the physical onslaught.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

During the second half of last year the game plan didn't seem to change even though the injuries were piling up, Fitz was hurt, other teams realized how to defend against the Bills, and it was obvious that the defensive personnel didn't fit the scheme. Everybody on this forum, all the talking heads on the TV shows, the announcers during the games, the writers for local papers, the writers for ESPN and SI, etc. all could see what was going on. Yet nothing ever changed. I have no reason to believe that suddenly the coaching staff will wake up and start doing things any differently.