Buffalo's defensive problems

Justice

Buffalo's defensive problems are quite obvious. It's not a personnel issue, it's a philosophical issue. We need to be more proactive than reactive. We need to dictate how the game goes, not the other way around. This whole notion of "pick your poison" is the most defeatist attitude any coach can have. You mustn't automatically assume that a team will hurt you via pass or run before the game even starts.

For example, the Bills lined up in nickel and dime defenses the whole game out of respect, or should I say fear, of Tom Brady's passing ability only to see the ground game pummel us and make Brady even more dangerous through the air. This type of philosophy hurts you even more in the end.

We need to line up in our 4-3 defense on all running downs. When it's an obvious passing down then you may trot out your nickel and dime packages. And it wouldn't hurt to throw in a blitz every now and then.

If there's a positive we can take out of all this is our problems can easily be remedied. A change in philosophy is the only thing that's needed. I'm not in the camp of people that believe things are as bad as they seem. Our defense played a good game until the fourth quarter and most of the blame for the Pats' point production falls squarely on turnovers, defensive philosophy and a weak mentality from the players. All these issues are correctable.

The first thing we need to do is solve the turnover issue. Chan needs to quit using the empty backfield formation. We're a team that can run the ball effectively and should use our running game as a decoy when we want to pass. Utilize play action a lot more. Play small ball. Play to Fitzy's strengths. Short and intermediate passes only. Use the screen pass to death. Swing passes as well. Get the ball into CJ and Freddie's hands as much as possible. Take time off the clock and shorten the game. This will reduce Ryan's INT's.

I already addressed the defensive philosophy issues, but will sum it up again. Blitz more. Be more proactive. Use Mark Anderson on passing downs only. Use Scott the same way as Mark. Press coverage should be utilized all game long. Easy fix, right?

And now on to the last issue which is the hardest one of them all to remedy. The fragile mentality of our players. This is no easy fix. Losing is engrained into the minds of our players. The only way to change that is to bring in some real leadership on the field and on the sideline as well. This team is devoid of leadership. Not one man on the whole team grabs a teammate by the face mask and demand accountability. If I'm Chan Gailey I'd take this responsibilty upon myself to fill that role and have a meeting with a couple of the team's best players and also demand the same from them. Don't be afraid to rattle a few cages.

In the end, winning cures all, but first we need to identify the issues that plague this team and make some changes. We have the talent, now we have to fulfill its potential.

The only problems are these:

we had some veteran leadership on the team and booted it the F$&K out of here. Merriman, Morman, Evans, Handgartner, Bell, Florance, Edwards, Etc... I'm not saying were better or worse with or without these players at all. Truth is, I'm glad some of them are gone, just pointing out that the veteran leadership your looking for was actually here and tossed aside.

The other thing that's a big wrench in your argument is the philosophy. Chan doesn't think there's any problems. You can't fix something if you don't think it's broke to begin with. I actually applauded Chan for sticking to the run last week but 3 fumbles really killed that plan. Cost us big time. And because of that Fitz was forced to be Superman But we all know he's more like Clark Kent.

As far as the defensive philosophy, Another thing Chan apparently thinks is fine. He has already stated he trusts Wanny. Why? I have no idea. Buddy built a defense, and offensive line that should be dominant. Sack the QB often, get you defense off the field and run the damn ball and keep it out the opposing QBs hands as much as possible. They haven't don't the in thier 2 losses because the defense isn't doing thier jobs. If the D would have just stopped Brady and Co at least 2 of fhier 6 TD possessions the other day, we might have been able to turn things around. I was really excited for Wanny this season. Watching our defense dominate games. I noticed it in the kids day pre season game that they would struggle and I predicted it then. Can it be fixed? sure, will it? Time will tell.

As far as the offensive formation and running more while throwing more screens and 5-10 yard slants. That's pretty much our offense. We are built on those types of passing plays. Our problem is that we have an empty backfield too much of the time. I'm not a fan of the rushing yardage argument that some people claim. They say we get all our biggest runs out of those 4WR sets when the defense has thier pass heavy D in the game. I know that's what just killed us against the Pats (which is even more comical that Chan got beat at his own game) but I really have huge doubts that Freddy and CJ wouldn't tear up just as much turf if they had the typical 2 and 3 WR sets in the game. Again, Chan doesn't see this as one of the problems so it doesn't/won't get fixed.

In the end, if Chan doesn't feel that it's a problem, we will be boned. As I've said before, If Chan can get over his EGO this season we will win 9-11 games. If he refuses to change his own philosiphies, we will be a 6-8 win team. The pieces are all in place. Sure, Fitz isn't the greatest QB ever but you have a dominant OL, RBs and DL to offset that. Sure the LBs are a weak part of the defense, but the secondary is better than average and the DL should be dominant. He has all the tools he needs to win, you have to coach and play to your teams strenghts and Chan seems to be trying to put square pegs into round holes. When he realizes they don't all fit what he wants to do, we will win and continue to win.

The only problems are these:

we had some veteran leadership on the team and booted it the F$&K out of here. Merriman, Morman, Evans, Handgartner, Bell, Florance, Edwards, Etc... I'm not saying were better or worse with or without these players at all. Truth is, I'm glad some of them are gone, just pointing out that the veteran leadership your looking for was actually here and tossed aside.

The other thing that's a big wrench in your argument is the philosophy. Chan doesn't think there's any problems. You can't fix something if you don't think it's broke to begin with. I actually applauded Chan for sticking to the run last week but 3 fumbles really killed that plan. Cost us big time. And because of that Fitz was forced to be Superman But we all know he's more like Clark Kent.

As far as the defensive philosophy, Another thing Chan apparently thinks is fine. He has already stated he trusts Wanny. Why? I have no idea. Buddy built a defense, and offensive line that should be dominant. Sack the QB often, get you defense off the field and run the damn ball and keep it out the opposing QBs hands as much as possible. They haven't don't the in thier 2 losses because the defense isn't doing thier jobs. If the D would have just stopped Brady and Co at least 2 of fhier 6 TD possessions the other day, we might have been able to turn things around. I was really excited for Wanny this season. Watching our defense dominate games. I noticed it in the kids day pre season game that they would struggle and I predicted it then. Can it be fixed? sure, will it? Time will tell.

As far as the offensive formation and running more while throwing more screens and 5-10 yard slants. That's pretty much our offense. We are built on those types of passing plays. Our problem is that we have an empty backfield too much of the time. I'm not a fan of the rushing yardage argument that some people claim. They say we get all our biggest runs out of those 4WR sets when the defense has thier pass heavy D in the game. I know that's what just killed us against the Pats (which is even more comical that Chan got beat at his own game) but I really have huge doubts that Freddy and CJ wouldn't tear up just as much turf if they had the typical 2 and 3 WR sets in the game. Again, Chan doesn't see this as one of the problems so it doesn't/won't get fixed.

In the end, if Chan doesn't feel that it's a problem, we will be boned. As I've said before, If Chan can get over his EGO this season we will win 9-11 games. If he refuses to change his own philosiphies, we will be a 6-8 win team. The pieces are all in place. Sure, Fitz isn't the greatest QB ever but you have a dominant OL, RBs and DL to offset that. Sure the LBs are a weak part of the defense, but the secondary is better than average and the DL should be dominant. He has all the tools he needs to win, you have to coach and play to your teams strenghts and Chan seems to be trying to put square pegs into round holes. When he realizes they don't all fit what he wants to do, we will win and continue to win.

I highly doubt Gailey will ever change

The Bills have the personnel to build a dominate power running attack, and yet don't even try to build one. A power running game would have not only kept the ball away from Brady and the Patriots offense, and had ole Tom sitting on his arse most of that second half. It would have also helped keep Wannstadt's hapless D off the field.

Chan Gailey's goal each game seems to try and force a perennial back up QB to magically transform into an elite / franchise who can out throw every other QB in the league.

I have no more faith in this coaching staff, and am just counting the days until a change is made.

Buffalo's defensive problems?

Poor DC to be sure.

No three down LBs, one safety, and a group of very inexperienced CBs with only one special talent among them, is the bigger issue.

The DL can't afford NOT to play to their potential with a back seven like that. They have to be great EVERY game and that just can't be done by ANY D line ALL THE TIME. And it isn't.

Another long year on defense is in front of us. And I refuse to get sucked into believing otherwise until they actually compete against a team not from KC or Cleveland.

GO BILLS!!!

I highly doubt Gailey will ever change

The Bills have the personnel to build a dominate power running attack, and yet don't even try to build one. A power running game would have not only kept the ball away from Brady and the Patriots offense, and had ole Tom sitting on his arse most of that second half. It would have also helped keep Wannstadt's hapless D off the field.

Chan Gailey's goal each game seems to try and force a perennial back up QB to magically transform into an elite / franchise who can out throw every other QB in the league.

I have no more faith in this coaching staff, and am just counting the days until a change is made.

I have doubts that he will ever change also. I agree with your gameplan against the Pats. That's always been my thing. Run more, run often, keep the ball out of your opponents hands. My faith is questioned to say the least with this coaching staff. Do I think they will change? I question that very same thing. Do they occassionaly make me feel good about them. You bet. It's not as much as I'd like, but it does happen. Let's just hope he realizes it or we will be looking for a new coaching staff soon. Personally, I think it's another 2-3 years to have a winner and that's IF we find the right guy. So I'd rather not do that. But who knows, we get a new coach, he thinks what we have is fine minus the QB. He comes in, first draft, males a Ricky Williams, Julio Jones, RG3 type of trade first thing and turns this all around immediately. I'd still rather win this year though.

Isn't it funny how on Sunday I had the worst 5 hour drive home from the Stadium ever...even Monday and Tuesday were horrible days. But today, after reading this post, I really think this may have hit a nerve with the team. A "shellacking" like they suffered may just give these guys a kick in the pants. Dave Wanny must be embarrassed. I really see Chan and veterans like Stevie, Fitz , Freddie, Barnett and even Mario stepping in and telling the others - we have to perform and execute better. None of these guys want to be embarrassed...none of them want to be a stat line (most points scored against them in a quarter, etc). This may have been a wake up call that games in the NFL are not easy and wins are not automatic. Despite my negativity on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday...I am starting to feel optimistic again.

Damn - they sucked me back in.

Isn't it funny how on Sunday I had the worst 5 hour drive home from the Stadium ever...even Monday and Tuesday were horrible days. But today, after reading this post, I really think this may have hit a nerve with the team. A "shellacking" like they suffered may just give these guys a kick in the pants. Dave Wanny must be embarrassed. I really see Chan and veterans like Stevie, Fitz , Freddie, Barnett and even Mario stepping in and telling the others - we have to perform and execute better. None of these guys want to be embarrassed...none of them want to be a stat line (most points scored against them in a quarter, etc). This may have been a wake up call that games in the NFL are not easy and wins are not automatic. Despite my negativity on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday...I am starting to feel optimistic again.

Damn - they sucked me back in.

Look at the same kind of shellackings this team, with most of the SAME guys in key leadership positions, and how they have responded in the past. 8 and 9 game losing streaks are not a product of teams that show resiliency.

I would really like to be able to share your optimism. And I always have since their inception. But I've NEVER witnessed the type of defensive collapse I saw in Sunday. Oh there have been many beatings and run for the bus games at the end of losing seasons. But this team flat out laid down and quit on defense last Sunday. It literally was a historically bad defensive performance.

I can tolerate losing to superior teams. I accept that the other guy is gonna be bigger, faster, stronger and more talented. But I can't accept quitting just because you're getting your ass kicked. Especially against the team that is your barometer.

I honestly don't think the veteran leadership on this team has what it takes to come back from this beating. Like I've said since Sunday, I'll be watching and rooting like always but my expectations have been lowered to historical lows of their own.

I REFUSE to get sucked in again.

GO BILLS!!!

"I REFUSE to get sucked in again."

One win against the Niners (possible) and another against Arizona (possible) and we'll be off the wagon again.

I can see that for some, sure. And for good reason. God knows we need something positive.

But for me, beating the Niners is nothing more than a start.

And it in no way gets them off my sh*t list after what I saw on Sunday. It was that awful. And I'd prefer the players have the bitter taste of defeat remaining even after a sweet victory.

Oh, and it's "on" the wagon again.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I have doubts that he will ever change also. I agree with your gameplan against the Pats. That's always been my thing. Run more, run often, keep the ball out of your opponents hands. My faith is questioned to say the least with this coaching staff. Do I think they will change? I question that very same thing. Do they occassionaly make me feel good about them. You bet. It's not as much as I'd like, but it does happen. Let's just hope he realizes it or we will be looking for a new coaching staff soon. Personally, I think it's another 2-3 years to have a winner and that's IF we find the right guy. So I'd rather not do that. But who knows, we get a new coach, he thinks what we have is fine minus the QB. He comes in, first draft, males a Ricky Williams, Julio Jones, RG3 type of trade first thing and turns this all around immediately. I'd still rather win this year though.

Bills fans have seen flashes, they know Spiller could be another CJ2K, Jamaal Charles. They know Freddy Jackson should be a huge superstar in this league if they would run him more. They know Stevie Johnson is a top WR, and realize just how good he could be if the Bills had another top WR on the other side to take some coverage away from him. Like Roddy White / Julio Jones.

While many fans love Fitz they also know he is not an elite QB, nor will he ever be. What he is, is a gunslinger type who would be best suited to hand off more and throw less, and just manage the game rather then be forced to shoulder everything.

The Bills do possess the talent on that D line to kick some serious arse all game long, the problem now is they are burdened by a moron of a DC who expects them to dominate in a vanilla base scheme.

I long for the days of Jauron / Fewell and 7-9. I look at the game plans against the Jets and Patriots and have to think the Bills win 5 games this season

The defensive players are not to blame here, fellas. The defensive gameplan is. The turnovers put our defense in a bad position. They spent way too much time on the field Sunday. You will never beat even a bad team with six turnovers. Things aren't as bad as they seem.

My biggest concern from the game against the Pats going forward are the offensive line injuries. Not the defense. We held New England to seven points for a little over a half and forced more three and outs than NE is used to. This isn't a bad defense, we just have to gameplan better snd show more resiliency when times get tough.

I can see that for some, sure. And for good reason. God knows we need something positive.

But for me, beating the Niners is nothing more than a start.

And it in no way gets them off my sh*t list after what I saw on Sunday. It was that awful. And I'd prefer the players have the bitter taste of defeat remaining even after a sweet victory.

Oh, and it's "on" the wagon again.

GO BILLS!!!

Falling "off" the wagon is the colloquial phrase for someone who, having been addicted to alcohol or drugs and is free of them for a period of time, then succumbs to the temptation to try it/them again....hence, my optimism means that I have already fallen "off" the wagon of swearing off watching the Bills.

Falling "off" the wagon is the colloquial phrase for someone who, having been addicted to alcohol or drugs and is free of them for a period of time, then succumbs to the temptation to try it/them again....hence, my optimism means that I have already fallen "off" the wagon of swearing off watching the Bills.

Now my head hurts.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't have a problem with trying to take the Pats* most dangerous player out of the game by playing nickel and dime packages and forcing them to run. I do have a problem with them not making adjustments after the Bills were getting gashed by the run.

I realize with press coverage you risk the big play. But if you can give up six straight TDs in a zone what do you have to lose, really.

We weren't in zone most of the time. We were in man coverage on the wideouts with safety help on top and the few times we brought the safeties up, Brady immediately went to Lloyd deep. We did ok for the most part and it took a perfect throw and a GREAT catch by Lloyd in the endzone to hurt us.

If there is one silver lining it's that Gilmore really played well and A Williams was improved even though he gave up the TD. If that trend continues it will offer Wanny a LOT more scheme flexibility. Whether or not he employs it is another matter entirely.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I can't believe how many people here (and oelsewhere) always assume that whatever is stated publicly is what is really the case. Just becasue Chan or anyone else says everything is fine, doesn't mean they really think that. What do you expect him to say; "We suck. Dave W is clueless" Granted there are a small number of coaches who may say that, but no one has ever proven that tactic works any better than keeping things internal.

And if you don't believe me I have some land to sell you!

The other thing that's a big wrench in your argument is the philosophy. Chan doesn't think there's any problems. You can't fix something if you don't think it's broke to begin with.

I can't believe how many people here (and oelsewhere) always assume that whatever is stated publicly is what is really the case. Just becasue Chan or anyone else says everything is fine, doesn't mean they really think that. What do you expect him to say; "We suck. Dave W is clueless" Granted there are a small number of coaches who may say that, but no one has ever proven that tactic works any better than keeping things internal.

And if you don't believe me I have some land to sell you!

Agreed. I get the feeling this is the first rodeo for a few folks based on some things I read. At the very least, they were paying too much attention to the clowns rather than the bull.

GO BILLS!!!