Lets look at Mario Williams Career Stats and pretend now we are shocke

cmjoyce113

wow, you certainly have researched mario's sacks, and your statistics raise some alarming concerns. so far, my impression is that mario is above average to good- in both run and pass defense. i'm not sure i see him as great in either. hopefully i'm wrong, and he can "get after it" as he seems fond of saying...

edit: sprained wrist? are you kidding? please, 90% of nfl players have a sprained something. the great ones battle through minor injuries and are still great. i don't want to hear anything about a sprained wrist...

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All you have to is look at Lance Zerlein's profile of Wiliams back in March. I posted it then and everything he says about Williams is coming to fruition. The sprained wrist is consistent with the EIGHTEEN games he missed the last two years.

Nice work NIX.

I still think he is going to get much better as the season goes on

Here's a shock: he hasn't played as poorly we think. I'm speaking about his play against the run which, in spite of the yards against and Joe Buscaglia's misguided critique of that aspect of his game, was actually pretty technically sound on Sunday.

But he's been a disappointment in pressuring the QB. And I DO look for that to improve.

GO BILLS!!!

While I personally know you can't just judge a players success on their sack number lets looks at that for his year by year for his career.

2006 - He had 4.5 sacks his rookie season and they all came in a 5 game stretch. Where he has 1.5, 0, 1,1,1.

2007- He had 14 sacks. 8 of his sack came in 3 games. He season split looks like this: 2,0,0,0,1,0,0,1,0,1,1,2.5,1,3.5,1, 0

2008- He had 12 sacks. He had 3 - 2 sack games and 1 3 sack game. Here's his season: 2,0,0,2,2,0,1,1,0,0,0,3,0,0,0,1

2009- He had 9 sacks - 1 - 2 sack game: 0,1,0,1,0,0,1,0,1,0,1,1,2,0,0,1

2010- 8.5 sacks with a 3 sack game and 2 sack game. 1,3,0,1,0,0,0,.5,0,2,1,0,0 (played in 13 games)

2011 - 5 sacks in 5 games he played in before injury...he had 2 - 2 sack games: 2,0,0,2,1

2012- Through 4 games he has 1.5 sacks that came in 1 game.

So if we are ONLY looking at SACK numbers Mario Williams has 54.5 career sacks. He has played in 86 games by my count. Out of those games he has had sacks in only 38 of them. That is 44%.

35.5 of those sacks have come in just 14 games. That leaves 19 sacks in the other 72 games he has played in.

If we are judging only sack numbers because that's all the time I have to do you can see Mario is a VERY streaky player. If we looked at this ahead of time we would have known this, but I am sure most didn't realize just how streaky his sacks are.

I am not defending him, or saying he sucks, just simply looking at his career stats.

I can draw this conclusion: Mario will have 2 or 3 more multi sack games this year and finish with around 10 sacks. That will leave 12 games where he has no sacks or 1 sack.

Nice analysis. I have to say something just doesn't look right with him currently, whether he might be injured or what. I know he is wearing a giant cast on his hand, wondering if that is having some type of effect. A player just doesn't "lose it" in his prime like that quickly.

So from what you are saying, we might have a football version of Thomas Vanek on our hands...

Edited by matter2003

Boscaglia referenced Zerlein on WGR this morning. It's pretty frightening how dead on Zerlein's profile was, and to add to Zerlain's credence his father was actually an assistant coach with the BIlls.

Right now he's looking like a $100 Million bust.

Great work Nix and Whaley.

Boscaglia referenced Zerlein on WGR this morning. It's pretty frightening how dead on Zerlein's profile was, and to add to Zerlain's credence his father was actually an assistant coach with the BIlls.

Right now he's looking like a $100 Million bust.

Great work Nix and Whaley.

Just like CJ Spiller was a bust? It has been 4 games. All of which HE WAS PLAYING WITH A SPRAINED WRIST!

I'm baffled at how quick people are to throw his ass to the curb.

Just like CJ Spiller was a bust? It has been 4 games. All of which HE WAS PLAYING WITH A SPRAINED WRIST!

I'm baffled at how quick people are to throw his ass to the curb.

Williams now has a huge body of evidence to evaluate him on. Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, is a ....

What really ticks me off is the apparent lack of effort. he is slow out of his stance, stands straight up, then fiddle-farts around and plays pattie cake with the OT. Watch D ware or JJ Watt or KW and the fire and hussle those guys play with. They throw other grown men around like rag dolls going after the QB. There is no reason Mario can't do the same thing, even with a little boo boo on his wrist.

Zerlein had no ax to grind. To summarize his profile: Williams will get sacks and look dominating at times, them disappear for long stretches; is one trick as far as moves, no spin etc.; is NOT the alpha dog.

I linked to this in March, his performance should be no surprise. Just like trying to teach Fitzpatrick new mechanics, it was a lot ot think that Williams to change.

If they could kick him to the curb and get their $'s back they should.

Vastly over-rated player that I have stated from the start, yet I liked the signing as it was a big need and gave us fans confidence the Bills are trying to win.

the guy is the black Schobel...he shows up for meaningless games and piles up sacks when it matters least

Disagree. Schobel was a great, underrated player. Williams is an average, over-rated player.

It isn't all about sacks. He is really good against the run too.

It's all about him being a factor and making opposing teams react to him with double teams and chips or he beats them 1 on 1 for sacks or tackles for loss. Against the Patriots, he didn't win 1 on 1 enough. Against the Jets, it was the same thing. If teams block him 1 on 1, he needs to make them pay. If they double, then the other three guys will make plays on the d-line.

If we are judging only sack numbers because that's all the time I have to do you can see Mario is a VERY streaky player. If we looked at this ahead of time we would have known this, but I am sure most didn't realize just how streaky his sacks are.

I am not defending him, or saying he sucks, just simply looking at his career stats.

I can draw this conclusion: Mario will have 2 or 3 more multi sack games this year and finish with around 10 sacks. That will leave 12 games where he has no sacks or 1 sack.

I am curious if other "sack artists" are also "streaky"...I dug around a little and found that Clay Matthews is also. Twice in the last three years, He started the season with six sacks in the first two games. Sandwiched between those exceptional starts is 2011, when he finished with six sacks in the 15 games he played.

hmmm...

"Super" Mario owes his agent a huge bonus this year. Obviously Dogra played Brandon, Nix and Overdork like a violin. There obviously was no otjer suitor at that contract level. No wonder he never left town.

Well played there Dogra !