Australian Rules Football Grandfinal

Shamrock

Years ago it used to be on ESPN a lot. Not sure what channel I could even watch that on now. Great game to watch. Those guys can be pretty nuts out there and the field they play on is huge. Always loved the refs that signal the points for the kicks.

Ive played/followed American Football almost my entire life, and Rugby for over a decade now. Ive also talked to guys who play Australian Rules... and so far no one I have ever met has been able to explain how to play Australian Rules Football. :blink::P

It was explained to me once how to play Australian Rules Football. It sounded like a drinking game (i.e. get caught holding the ball drink a can of Foster, step out of bounds drink a shot of West End, kick a goal drink a glass of Victoria Bitter, have goal kicked against you drink a pint of James Squire, etc).

Edited by BillsWatch

Ive played/followed American Football almost my entire life, and Rugby for over a decade now. Ive also talked to guys who play Australian Rules... and so far no one I have ever met has been able to explain how to play Australian Rules Football. :blink::P

From what I remember there are 2 sets of posts, the goal posts and behind posts. If the kick goes through the goal posts it's 6 points and 1 point if it goes through the behind posts. Field is oval and is about 200 yards long. Guys can run with the ball, but have to bounce it once every 10 yards or pass it. If a player calls out mark when he is catching a kicked ball (kind of like a fair catch in NFL) the game gets halted and the player gets a free kick. Pretty sure it's a continuous clock with no stoppage of play even if there is an injury. I may be wrong about that last one though.

Oval is about 200m in length, vary in size though, clock stops for out of play including scores. There's no fair catch for a mark. 6 points for a goal & a consolation for a miss is a point. I think the uniqueness is that it's a 360deg game for tackling, both leagues & gridiron have a separation of teams. Ball is moved by foot and by fist, no throwing. Tackle from waiste to below shoulder. That's about it for rules...

Was curious as the AFL- the NFL equivalent always angs on about the international audience but my bro who lives in Georgia can't find a channel it's on.

I watched it all the time back in the 80s when it was on ESPN, as dhg said. I'm with Dr.D in really not having any idea as to what they were doing, but it was fun to watch!